TrevorLahey's Trailer Park 2021

^^^^^^^ I like that idea George.

2 Likes

To new beginnings…

8 Likes

Anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, low cost, humidistat/thermostat?

Something to turn on/off my exhaust based on set temp/rh points?

I have a sonoff TH16 but the sensor it uses is not very accurate at all, elsewise it would be perfect for price/functionality.

I have to buy two so the inkbirds are a little cost prohibitive, the ones that do both temp and RH are like $100 each!

It really only has to do RH, as my heat is always below max levels even with exhausts fully off.

2 Likes

I’ve got three of these and the work great, they can send you alarms once limits are reached … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I actually need something that will automate my exhausts turning on/off.

I already have a few ways of monitoring it remotely, but no reliable way of controlling the fans based on that data.

2 Likes

I can tell you I have one that’s just for RH and it works as advertised. I use it for drying in the winter time. No experience with them for temp.

2 Likes

Did some research. Lots of people complaining about the accuracy of the Sonoff Si7021 sensor that I’ve been using paired with my Sonoff TH16.

The universal recommendation is to instead pair it with the older AM2031 sensor module.

These are only $12 on Amazon so I figure I’ll give that a shot first, as the TH16+AM2031 can be had for under $30

2 Likes

I have 3 kinds 1 of the inkbird for just RH.

one of these slightly cheaper.

and one like this from Ebay

5 Likes

I was actually looking at all 3 of those earlier today lol, so good to know they’re working for you. Will the $53 option wouldnt be that bad if I had to buy 2.

Let’s hope the sensor replacement for this TH16 works out, then I’ll be able to comfortably recommend a $28 solution that is an all-in-one, wifi-enabled, thermostat, dehumidistat, cycle timer, schedule timer, monitoring and alert agent.

3 Likes

You can work these, all 3 actually, to work in conjunction with a heat controller and 1 extraction fan for both heat and humidity.

So long as both heat and humidity controllers are connected to the same outlet, you can wire 2 male ends of an extension cord to the female end of an extension cord, plug the extraction fan into the female and the 2 male ends, one of each into the seperate controlers for the cooling function. If either come on the fan will run.

2 Likes

My Inkbirds have been bulletproof for home brewing & growing. Probably worth the bit extra.

3 Likes

Great tip on the daisy chain!

I guess what I was originally looking for was a unit that could control both a heater and an exhaust. My temps never get high enough that the exhaust needs to run.

The Inkbird 2in1 units (the $100 ones) have both a heating and a cooling outlet, which is more what I was looking for to run a small heater to raise temps but also turn exhaust on to vent humidity when needed.

Though I’ve decided I really just need an exhaust controller for now, as when the exhaust is off the temps are usually around acceptable levels anyway.

Also, I’m currently using one high output 6" exhaust fan attached to a Y adapter that handles both of my tents, and runs 24/7. When I need less exhaust in one tent I use something to restrict the airflow in the duct so the other tent remains unchanged. I’m going to have to buy another fan so I can control each tent individually and probably flappers too. So I’m trying not to spend $300 on a small quality of life change lol.

Will update when I get the AM2031 module setup and tested.

3 Likes

I use the same inkbird heat controller similar to the bottom eBay one except you can get it on Amazon for $22 it will do cool and heat. You just set your temp center point, I use 75f then set your differential, I usually go 5f degrees difference, if the temp drops to 70f the heater comes on, if it rises to 80f the fan comes on. When either hit 75f they shut off.

2 Likes

Harvested all the runts last night, not a whole lot to look at as they were small and a little airy because of how crowded they were by the larger plants.

They all basically looked like this:

Then spent the day today trimming 2 larger plants that were finished

This first one was actually a little disappointing the buds were really airy and leafy and I thought she was bigger

The other though had alot of really fat tops and produced quite a bit

She had a thick, healthy root system:

Which leaves 2 more plants that were planted 1-2 weeks after the rest. One of these is an absolute monster and is going to really appreciate finishing up in the space gained today. I spread her branches out and managed to drop my drain tray down a couple inches so shes not pressed right up into the light anymore lol.

22 Likes

Dang man!!! @TrevorLahey lookin sexah!!! Keep up the good work

3 Likes

Amazing looks frosty and good, nice.

2 Likes

Some nice chunky fat colas there Trev, they got some great colour as well.

I hate fluffy buds it’s so depressing, start trimming and end up with almost nothing.

I havested 2 Sour Diesel x Snow Lotus Friday, not too bad considering they got all burned and stunted trying to kill off the mites. Solid rock hard nugs just not very big.

The 2 Ogers were much better as they never had mites, they had a nice purple tinge starting on the sugar leaves, I smoked the scissor hash last night, pretty good smoke, can’t wait for them to cure, not had a new strain to try for a while now.

Another 4 weeks I think for the pink animal crackers to finish, they are looking and smelling really nice apart from the mite damage on the leaves :disappointed:

3 Likes

Good news!

The AM2031 sensor paired with the Sonoff TH16 is delivering accurate results!

At $30cad it’s one of if not the most affordable temp/humidity controllers on the market and it does a lot more like cycle timer, inching, scheduling and alerts and it can all be monitored and controlled via an app on your phone.

Sure there’s a bit of DIY involved but that’s just chopping an extension cable in half and wiring it into the unit.

What that means though, is I’m going to have to buy another TH16+AM2031 kit and a 2nd exhaust fan, so each tent can be exhausted and controlled individually instead of the current setup of one 6" fan, always on, exhausting both of the 2x4 tents.

All of this for a potential 10-15% increase in average RH and 1-2 degree increase in temp.

5 Likes

Sounds like a bargain, I will have a look at this.

Cheers Trev :+1:

2 Likes

Well the plants had bounced back after the gas chamber incident. Stunted but at least they were healthy until they started showing some issues 4 days ago.

5 days ago

Then they started yellowing with the white patches. It got worse over the last 4 days.

I checked my runoff EC 3 days ago and it was 1.34ec which was less than my input EC of 1.5. I assumed it must be a low feed issue so I increased my input to 1.6ec. PH is always a stable 6.2.

The problem seems to have gotten worse.
Today

One thing I notice is there’s still a faint chlorine smell in the tent. I rinsed and washed the catch tray out really well but it still smells a bit after water accumulates in it. That bin is also right below my main circulation fan so any vapors would be blown onto the plants. Maybe I’m grasping at straws here but the plants that are most affected seem to be the ones directly in the fan’s path??

Speaking of fans, I ordered another TH16+AM2031 so now both of the 2x4s have accurate temp/humidity controllers.

I currently have it set to vent the Bridgelux tent at 65% and shut off at 55% and it is keeping it perfectly in those ranges. Previously the tent was 40-45% RH and 19C, now it’s 24C and 55-65% RH. Moderate VPD gains are exciting!

Fits well into the rest of the Sonoff gear controlling the grow.

I haven’t yet figured out how I’m going to vent both tents outside to the same duct without getting back drafts when one fan is not running.

Motorized dampers/flappers are a little cost prohibitive as I’d need 3. Could just have a separate vent for each tent leading outside. Or just buy or build a filter/scrubber for each tent and just vent back into the basement.

Not much to see in the other tent, mainly because the plants are huge and it’s hard to get a decent angle on them as they’re pretty much into the light at this point lol.

2 Likes