Tri-foil leaves

This little Blue Dream sports three leaves per node. They are very consistent geometrically with each node’s leaves rotating 60 degrees from the previous. Seems like it could be a regular thing but I can’t remember seeing it before.

Is this more likely a genetic thing or a stress thing?

Such a cute little bundle of joy. :call_me_hand:t5:

9 Likes

Trifoliate. Sometimes whorled phytotaxi. But apparently they’re different.

Found it in some blueberry and told it was genetic expected and to expect great things from that plant.

5 Likes

I had one last year. The plant did just fine, plus it was a nice change from the same old :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He/she is getting extra love for the novelty if not any real benefit. I will be updating this as it grows. It’s with three other Blue Dream plants from the same pack so it should be easy to compare.

:call_me_hand:t5:

6 Likes

That is a cool looking plant man. I’d like t know what’s up with that in case I ever see it. I think it would be fun to train that thing too.

Edit: I would definitely try to hold a clone just in case.

4 Likes

I have one doing the same. Except the first 2 nodes are normal. Every one since is growing in 3s

4 Likes

I had a Deep Chunk show this on one branch. Sadly, it’s not a good sign for Deep Chunk as (in that strain’s case) it’s correlated with sexually unstable offspring. Not super rare. I have seen it elsewhere but others have outgrown it.

4 Likes

I have 2 cuts of rugburn OG that put out tons of triofoliate leaves before putting out 5finger leaves and super dark forest green at that.My guess is its genetic.

1 Like

Not talking about number of petals on the leaf. This is three leaf and branch pairs coming out of each node.

Whorled Phylotaxy

3 Likes

This is quite common on the blue lines, they tend to be male from my past experiences with other strains and when I did find females I found them not to be as strong as the normal plants from the same batches of seeds.

2 Likes

I remember someone posted one similar a month or two ago, most comments were about how annoying they can be at trim time lol.

3 Likes

I wonder if these traits translate to tighter node spacing once the plant hits maturity and alternating nodes?

5 Likes

Very interesting thread
My MI5xMidnight express f3s

Out of 9 seeds i planted i ended up with 2 males and 7 females. 3 of which have the whorled phyllotaxy and 1 has quadruple phyllotaxy. Also kept 1 male who is also a quadruple. Got me excited so i popped another 24 seeds to see if i got lucky or if more show up. Then this little one showed up

A pic from today

Excited to see what the rest turn into

7 Likes

Central Asian strain.

2 Likes

@Kingmambo didt it come out of femalised seed made with cs than thats it hapens after

dont know how i must call this

1 Like

Some plants grow out of it and it goes away. Some keep it. Basically you just get extra side branching. And athough I dont recall seeing it specifically mentioned, one would assume that when buds ‘stack’ they would be extra dense and large.

1 Like

This was a photo regular seed from Mark on Strainly. It’s still going because I have space but I’m not expecting much from it.

Kev

2 Likes

You can try some silicate maybe it helps a little t