Triacontanol experiment

Coopers Sparkling Ale :slight_smile: Nobody here drinks Fosters, It’s all exported lol.

3 Likes

Cheers man! A while back no doubt in a stoned haze I managed to order some of the ‘wrong’ Samsung strips for something I was doing… So instead of the 550mm X 40 mm strips I got one part number wrong and ended up with 10 long strips.
I did some heat dissipation tests and worked out I could use cheap as chips T Track aluminium for heatsink on the Samsung 1100mm X 20mm 9K lumens strips. So this worked out here to about $6 per strip. The only thing is that because the T Track is extruded and not lapped like a real heatsink, you just have to use thermal paste. So this combined with a nearly free ex Delll Server PSU and a few $8 CC converters ended up being a shit load of lux for not much.

3 Likes

Damn, $6 a strip is unreal. I just paid $4 a piece for screw in 15w bulbs lol

1 Like

Lol… No that’s just the heatsink strip unfortunately.

1 Like

LOL …I was wondering wtf. You were about to get a pm ordering 1000 units.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, just a quick update. In the last few days I put a net over the plants to help support them, well the Tut at least. They are loving the 500W of lighting and are almost visibly growing. Not excessive stretch so far on the Tut, though more on the Cindy. The Cindy is also being slower to start flowering, whereas the Tut is well into it.

This a shot of them side by side

And another

This is a shot of the underside of the Tut so you can get an idea of the branching. I need to get in and clean it up a bit.

This is the Cindy, still being outgrown by the tut at every turn.

And an undeside shot of the Cindy again to see where the branching is at

So far so good, any comments, criticisms, friendly insults or feedback welcome! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

7 of the 12 plants in the experiment were male, 5 of those were the plants that were watered with tria.
The one that is left doesnt seem to be any different than the control plants.
Next time I will try a foliar spray.

3 Likes

One out of 5? Man those a really shitty odds! Yep, good call. Obviously the drench in DWC water was more effective than applying it to the soil for some obscure reason?

2 Likes

I did do around half the strength of yours too.
Edit: one of 6, yeh thats just unlucky eh.

2 Likes

My Tut have never looked like that with so many branches.

1 Like

Yeah it’s mos def they are very shrubby, and I have already taken about 20 cuttings off the bottom and given them to a mate! Alos If you got keen eyes you will see that after 20 years of growing, I STILL manage sometimes to split the plant at the first tipping point when I get too gung ho trussing it down… I really should learn that one. One half is significantly smaller so that is going to effect final size.
The Cindy is the same kind of shrubby, though it is a lot smaller. It will be interesting to see how the buds fill out but if it ends up being anything like the pics I have seen it should yield a decent amount.

3 Likes

My neck injury has robbed me of small motor control of my hands, they are weak and shake a lot.

So now I am starting to train my plants and bend branches I don’t have the finger strength to gently manipulate them, so I am snapping branches off a bit.

I put some electrical tape. On the jaws of a pair of pliers and give thicker branches a squish with them. The first time I thought I had wrecked a blueberry cough. It split along the branch instead of across, it’s healed up well but it’s not a pretty sight lol.

2 Likes

Maybe try something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-GRIP-2-Pack-6-in-Mini-One-Handed-Bar-Clamp/1000235705

Might give you more control over the pressure than just pliers, should give you a better radius more like flopping too.

2 Likes

Good lateral thinking Chronic :+1:

I have a pair of those, I was using them the other day to clamp a piece of base board to my miter saw to stop it wobbling about when I was cutting it.

4 Likes

Have you tried these things?

Unfortunately I cant seem to get them over here, but they do look like they would be good.

1 Like

If you cant, I cant, I am in Nova Scotia now. Emigrated 12 years ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bugger. This site needs a shop :slight_smile: The site I linked to say they do intentional shipping and pack is only about $10.

1 Like

About $7.50 on today’s rate. Cant see how big they are, there is no dimension info. If they are small and fiddly, I will probably end up getting frustrated and hurl them out the door lol.

I get so pissed off now, trying to do fiddly things, my fingers dont do what they used to. 4 years ago I could airbrush a picture with real tiny detail. I haven’t picked up an airbrush for a year now, its so depressing trying to use them.

A pic I painted on a Harley horn cover. The coin is 5cents for size comparison. The hat band has the name of the guys ship on it and Canada is written on the shoulder, with the guys signal mans badge under that. I had an old 1950s paper cartoon for reference that the customer provided.

4 Likes

That’s awesome bro! I wish I had such talent! Getting old sucks, all those biking injuries come back haunt me on cold days. I have to agree with you there!

2 Likes

The last time I saw branching like that was when I stuck a clone directly outside, prematurely budded then revegged. I thought I would end up with popcorn buds, but ended up really nice. I was surprised.

3 Likes