Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

Thank you brother.

3 Likes

Centrifuge capsules with poly fill and a label. Works great. Not so far on the cheap, but it seems to go both ways in my luck, Iā€™ve always got tracking # for my mailers to and from, luck i guess. But it beats losing the package. :v: :peace_symbol: :email: :deciduous_tree: :tanabata_tree: :fire:

Stay kind,

Pawsfodocaws

6 Likes

Itā€™s not only about being cheap (and it is MUCH cheaper to do it this way), itā€™s also a much stealthier way to ship, especially internationally, without the need for any papers to fill out, just pop on an airmail stamp and off it goes. Also, I recently received a centrifuge tube filled with seeds, inside of a poly bag mailer, and it was smashed to pieces

so if you really want to make sure it gets there avoid the poly bag altogether and ship it in a DVD case or box, or with the coin flip, but as I said, this isnā€™t about that, itā€™s about doing it cheaply, safely and stealthily

14 Likes

I said poly fill. As in stuffing to keep the seeds in place in the centrifuge capsule, sent in a padded envelope. I get it your trying to cut costs.

5 Likes

Yes, I know exactly what you meant - and those seeds were stuffed with cotton poly in the centrifuge capsule and placed in a padded envelope, and they arrived as pictured above, and its not just about cutting costs as I mentioned.

5 Likes

I guess itā€™s the centrifuge capsules you use, I have thick ones, over 50 sent never once crushed. Not once. No problem here. :v:

2 Likes

I need to mail some seeds this week, toss up on making my own coil flip style cardboard sleeve, using bubble wrap, or corrugated plastic.

3 Likes

not mine, they were sent to me, but yeah I am sure that different grades of plastic hold up better than others

4 Likes

I was trying to share my experience with shipping em, there tough as hell. That sucks your beans came crushed. I really like the way you said to mail them. Iā€™ve gotten two that way recently and it was perfect nothing wrong and those washers and the coin method is legit.

Stay kind

Pawsfodocaws

2 Likes

thatā€™s very creative of you,and reusing or recycling is always great, but I am lazy and just bought 50 for $4

8 Likes

cool, I am glad it worked out for you - I have used the centrifugal tubes primarily for years, with minimal issues, but the cost, and also bulkiness of shipping them was always an issue. I have shipped seeds using the coin flip to people in other countries, by just putting an airmail stamp on them and sending them on their way. When I have shipped seeds to other countries using the centrifugal tubes I always have to fill out paperwork that I would rather not fill out. It also helps to tape the coin flip to a piece of paper so it doesnt slide around in the envelope as well.

7 Likes

Iā€™m looking into going about this method when im out of bulk centrifuge caps.

2 Likes

So just to verify here, the 1.08" coin flips are for sure the oneā€™s to use? I need to pick some up for international mailingā€¦

3 Likes

this is exactly what I have used before, and it works fine, I am sure there are other options and other combinations that work out, but this works for me:

coin flips:

hose washers:

Just tape them shut - some people use staples also, but I prefer tape - less pokey when opening, and if you want to put them in mylar pouches these will fit those size flips:

you can fit the seed-filled flip in to the pouch and then tape the pouch to a piece of paper, however the mylar pouch isnā€™t really necessary, but it does add a bit of protection and also allows you to label it if you want, though you can always just write on the coin flip also.

14 Likes

Thank you! All added to my cart now.

5 Likes

dam thanks for the info I dig it

2 Likes

I was just wondering what would be a good way to mail seeds. Coin flips are a great idea.

1 Like

they are but if you take a walk I gaurantee you will find a sign or two that arenā€™t being used bam coroplast free I bought a sheet and saw 5 being thrown out on my way home

2 Likes

Yeah those are thing but I absolutely hate that corrugated plastic. Mixed two strains seeds at once because of one of those things. Also had one get completely crushed because they used q-tips instead of something like bamboo chop sticks in the sides. Also had someone that just didnā€™t bother putting anything in the side holes and yeah, crushed.

Coin flip and washer, NO STAPLES!!! Use scotch tape or something. No crushed seeds, no seeds flying everywhere or mixing together. Only catch is you canā€™t really send multiple strains without paying more for shipping as you need a separate coin flip per strain.

5 Likes

The weight does add up fast, but one stamp is good for up to an oz, then just add another stamp. Make sure to tape them to a piece of paper in the middle of the envelope.you can put them end to end, but donā€™t stack them!
If your just doing it regular mail, Make sure to add a layer of padding (craft foam or piece of bubble wrap) if your using those coroplast, the seeds can get crushed in them, same with the centrifuge tubes. Or if your going into the post office, misterbee suggested just have them stamp It special no machine sorting for extra $0.15

9 Likes