Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

huh that’s good to know I have never had issues with the coroplast but I could definetely see it happening and yea I was mailing a handful and the postal worker ran his hand across it and sugested the no machining or whatever stamped it charged me .15 cents and off it went the other 6 were fine I guess looks like I need to order some flips

3 Likes

Lately I’ve been using plastic plumbing pipe cut into small pieces. Fill the middle with seeds then cut little squares from a margarine container or something and tape over both sides. Seems to work well and free because I had spare pipe.

Keep in mind it has to be 5mm thick or less to qualify as regular letter mail in Canada. Thanks to whoever posted this on here that I stole it from!

7 Likes

I have sent three coin flips with hose washers in one letter and took it to the post office to make sure I was putting the correct postage on it, and they said I only needed one first class stamp

10 Likes

Oh nice!! I’ve been trying to figure it out from postage rates on their site so figured it’d be an extra stamp or two but that’s good to know. You using the 55c forever stamps or?

2 Likes

I have to say I’m a fan of the flips. They fit nicely inside the paper sleeves I’ve been using.

10 Likes

yep that’s what I use

3 Likes

If you have a hobby lobby near, I got 50 flips for less than $2 with a 40% off coupon. Without the coupon it’s still only $3

6 Likes

Awesome packaging idea. @monkeyman
Definitely giving it a whirl next time I send seeds. Thank you for sharing

3 Likes

I will always pay the extra 15 cents from now on. The first time I did the non machineable thing, I told them it was a computer thing my son was sending, and he was worried about it getting broken. She told me non machineable was 15 cents extra. She also said, you have to bring it to the counter to do it. Now I just take them up, and tell them it’s nonmachineable. The last time, the lady was impressed I knew the terminology. They don’t give it a second thought.

7 Likes

I throw an “additional ounce” stamp ($0.15) on mine. That way if the machine kicks it out, they will hand sort it. I’ve sent 75+ packs across the globe like this with 100% success.

17 Likes

use to use the sign plastic with bamboo skewers on the outside edge to avoid crushing and would tape them in the envelope.

Now i use 3D printed holders which costs me a couple cents each to make and only a couple minutes, and they are 4mm thick so fall under the 5mm rule for basic post here, simple and easy as to enclose them i just glue paper to either side.

Recently changed the design of mine to jsut be a circle like hose washers and or cut hose though just cause its easy to get round 1" stickers then im not gluing and cutting around each holder, jut making it more simple.

12 Likes

I have gotten seeds in the mail where people were using some of these sheets,
cut down to fit a few seeds, using q-tips to hold them and then just mail as a letter.

so with that in mind I was headed shopping & I found a full sheet for free

• could not have been more obvious solution !

6 Likes

Though I grew up in this city, I really don’t get out to do much. I drive by a coin collectors shop several times a week, and only just today realized I should stop in there :laughing:.

6 Likes

Pointer tip if ya don’t want to have to wait for shipping I found these easily in a craft store That catered to coin enthusiasts right around the same price (hobby lobby or something similar )

4 Likes

I ordered a 2 foot dildo to my units mailroom in my squad leaders name when we were deployed to Iraq. It was funny as hell till I got beat up with it.

22 Likes

First of all, Thank you for your service.

Secondly :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

I’ve gotta pimp these new coin flips I tried – “adhesive flips for small dollars”

That adhesive layer is life changing stuff.

17 Likes

Yeah the self stick ones are so much easier than stapling.

4 Likes

the reviews of those self-stick flips are not so good, many people say that the adhesive is weak. I just use tape, not staples

5 Likes

Gosh, I admit it, prior to knowing anything, I sent seeds once and the person received them smashed to bits. Felt bad and then re sent them priority. Nice ideas. Will use for sure!

1 Like