Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

What’s the issue with staples, just weight?

2 Likes

Weight not so much, it’s kind of a pain to hold it all together though. Also I’ve poked myself with the staples before. The self adhesive ones I’ve bought are plenty sticky and robust for short term storage/shipping.

7 Likes

They can be a bit pokey when removing and I’ve definitely had seeds fly all over once or twice when removing said staples that decided to hang for dear life. So I use scotch tape to hold them together. Much easier to just slide a knife down the edge and not risk losing any seeds.

14 Likes

Gotcha. I always just cut through the clear plastic around the washer, peel back, no muss no fuss.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s a real good idea too :thinking:

3 Likes

With seed addicts like us we would be down in the floor with a flashlight, like a crackhead looking for his last rock he dropped. Been there, done that! :joy:

13 Likes

Oh you know it! Already been there a few times this year :rofl:

7 Likes

Been there done that! Lol

7 Likes

I just got back from the post office where I mailed off 5 coin flips (with around 65 seeds) to @JBow918, and it only cost me a grand total of 55 cents. I sent it with the flips with washers and seeds in them, taped evenly to a piece of notebook paper that was folded in half, and then placed in a 6x9 envelope. I gave it to the worker at the counter and she checked it and weighed it and said that for first class it would only cost me 55 cents to mail it.

10 Likes

Well that’s good to know.

I only went off their site and it was usually telling me a 2-3oz+ envelope(2-3 coin flips+washer) was ~85cents. International was like 1.35. so I double or triple stamped everything just to be safe.

If this means I can conserve some stamps, I might feel better about checking my bank account :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I always check at the counter, even if I am sure it will only be one stamp, just to be sure. I would hate to have someone I sent seeds to have to pay any postage due or delay it’s delivery.

5 Likes

Yeah, 2 coin flips/washers in a birthday card will usually squeak by with just 1 stamp.
For extra safety, request the non-machine-sorting stamp for an extra 15 cents.

7 Likes

This was 5 flips, and it was well within the weight range. I was surprised. I actually had “non-machinable” stamped on the envelope and she let it slip by without charging me extra

7 Likes

I tried sending my payment to doc d in an envelope first class and thr lady a t the PO told me the only way to send an envelope first class is signature required. She said to have not be sig required i had to send it priority which seems totally wrong to me.

2 Likes

First-Class mail is just regular letter class, she must have misunderstood what you were asking for. First-class mail is used for postcards, letters, large envelopes, and small packages. When I send off money for seeds I have it certified, which costs around 4 bucks total. The only downside of certified mail is that if someone isn’t there to sign for the package they have a slip left and must go to the post office or arrange to have it redelivered, so it may take longer to get to the recipient.

6 Likes

Thats what i was thinking as well. She said i had to send it certified. I new she was wrong but you cant argue with those people man. Ran into the same deal trying to ship a couple small nicad batteries. I had to come back the next day when someone else was working the desk. A bunch of incompetents working at my PO.

7 Likes

I always send my seeds non-machineable now. It is much safer to save the dreaded crushed beans.

@Grohio you meant the post office, not just yours, right? There is always an idiot around when it’s the feds, I guarantee it. :joy:

4 Likes

You can get shipping charts from the po that explains envelopes and small packages then weigh them yourself. You guys are still getting cheaper results then me. I’m using 4x6 bubble mailers lately with newspaper and cardboard inside to make the package feel full. Usually around .40 ounces. 1 dollar first class mail anywhere in the states. Had to many postal workers feel my envelopes and ask questions…

3 Likes

At the post office they have a thickness and size gauge which is just a piece of cardboard with a slot in it - if the letter passes through without sticking then it does not need an additional postage. You can make a tool yourself, or there are tools available on etsy and elsewhere. To be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be: Rectangular. At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick. No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick.

There are also a few postal thickness gauge templates on thingverse that allow you to 3D print your own:

If you are using coin flips in a letter, once you know that the envelope fits safely through the slot, and that the weight is right, you can confidently affix the proper postage (along with the non-machinable surcharge) and simply drop them in a post box without having to talk to anyone at the counter and have them give you the old 20 questions or have them finger your package.

9 Likes

Sounds like a coin flip wrapped in 2 pieces of paper should be fine. That beats the heck outta dealing with postal workers every time

5 Likes