Vietnam Black, Snowhigh/Kiona

That happened to me this grow. All balls, no swimmers.

7 Likes

So Vietnam Black are apparently like cats; I swear I JUST fed them, and they’re still hungry.

Gunna top dress em, and I’ll get back to you with what, when I do.

23 Likes

Holymoly those are nice. They look pretty short. How tall are those?

7 Likes

From the top of the soil, to the tip of their crown, they’re all 40-44” tall. ~3gal of soil in 5gal buckets.

16 Likes

Perfect size should be some nice smoke out of those . Looking good what ppm you been feeding them 7/800 ?

2 Likes

Lol… I uh… I used to use a shot glass and a scale.
Then I stopped using the scale… :rofl:

9 Likes

Sorry I’ve been lacking on the pictures these last couple weeks, this pollen situation has me hella depressed. I stripped a ton of branches and dried them, before shaking the life out of them over all the females. Not sure if it worked. If I had a better grasp on normal human emotion I’d be crying.

White Snowhigh has surpassed soda cans, and is quickly approaching 2 liter bottle buds.
Blue Snowhigh is kind of an in-between phenotype. She’s trying to produce big ol fat buds, but they’re more on the foxtail side of things.

Blue Snowhigh
Green Snowhigh is my current favorite, and that will probably not change anymore. Her buds are stereotypical southeast Asian, and I’m head over heels. Strangely, she’s already stopped throwing white hairs. It could be a sign of viable pollen, but I’m not gunna get my hopes up

20 Likes

but why did you already think in advance that the male is sterile? i never heard that often of sterile males unless a line is veeery inbreeding depressed

Once a pisill is polinated it starts to become brown from the Tip on, cople days after. and it curls. Thats not hundret percent clear sign, but something to make you hope. do they look like that?

2 Likes

I thought in advance that she might be sterile because I’m an obligate pessimist. I always expect failure.
But also because this is my first attempt at reversing a female with STS, I have no past experience of success, to support the belief that it would work on the first try.

Lol. They do.
But it could just be normal senescence.

12 Likes

Man, those look great. Snow still sells these? Those are really pretty plants. Nice job. Hope all finishes well!

2 Likes

you could always use some of the da-lat pollen from yobigdaddy as a last resort. That would be vietnam black x da lat, but it would still be a pure vietnamese.

4 Likes

I had another thought, have the males and females been separated this whole time? Have you tried putting healthy male and female plants in a chamber together?

I have found that some landrace males are simply too sensitive to collect viable pollen. If you chop a branch, the pollen isn’t viable because the branch is wilting. If you collect pollen dust, that somehow doesn’t work either. I have had a male I thought was nonviable, but as soon as I put it in a room with the females, bam- fully seeded.

Maybe the pollen was only viable for like an instant, and only if it was dropped naturally? maybe there was some kind of vital terpene interaction between that male and female?

It could be you have a male like this. Maybe you just need to have live male and female plants together, doin it the old fashioned way.

Just a thought, could be worth a try.

(edit- that line was an old humboldt thai hybrid, black market heirloom)

6 Likes

Ha ha happens to the best of us. :partying_face:

3 Likes

I sort of agree with this logic. I feel like nature can be shy like us, at times.

Also, have you given the two the Barry White dose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLOWYAzs9GI

It’s as good as Litfa! you’re welcome! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

If that doesn’t work, break out the good stuff, and turn off the lights.

I’m never gonna give you up…

2 Likes

Hell, just put about 30 seconds of Barry, talking. Done deal.
Pollinated.

3 Likes

Oh snap! Kiona said “Don’t count me out, yet!”

I don’t know if you can see it. But there’s no dust on this notebook cover, that’s all pollen. It’s damn near imperceptible, but it’s there!

17 Likes

I think i would take the MAle-Pot all 3 Days, lift it slightly above all the Girls, and shake it pretty hard. Be aware that you lift the Pot up as CAREFULL and shakeing-free as you can, cause with the first small movement alot Pollen starts to fall.

You probably know this much better already, but thats what my thoughts are.
Each 3 Days a Male has produced a full load of fresh pollen
Best would be to already place the male in Position above Females cause Pollen with very few wind fell in a 30 Degree angle!! i saw it,no seeds above. And in windfree Indoorenviroment falls pretty much downwards(besides a small Percentage always flyes).

4 Likes

I considered it, but the lights are sort of in the way, and the girls are rather large. :joy:

Instead, the staminate flower bunches that were starting to open were cut off, and left to dry for a few days.
Then I shook the life out of them. Right over the females, just like you’re saying. :grin:

6 Likes

I always watched carefully how Males produce Pollen and how it flyes.

I stood against the evening Sun, so i could see it, when i had alot Pollen in one spot, made Eperiments how it flyes.

When there is only a small Wind going, then shaking had not the same Effect , the pollen would follwow much more the Wind, than the Pollen Flying upwards or to the Sides. So: Ventilator off would be what i doo.
Also, im unshure if your Yeald is even smaller by cutting Pollensacks. I never figure it compleetly, but i tend to think a Pollensack produces pollen over longer Time, like a couple a couple Days. And by cutting it im not shure if all comes out. Especially if you cut just one Day to early.

In your situation, i would let 50 Percent Pollensack on the Plant. Place it into the middle of the Girls, and shake it hard. I think you have higher amount pollen that Way. 50 Percent Pollencutting. But up to you.

Also mixing with flour was a compleete Failure for me. If flour is slightly moist , everything clumps and its even harder to cover big Surfaces with that clumpy mass with your Cosmetic-brush.

Anyway, good luck!

5 Likes