Washing Your Harvest?

I appreciate that. There are still some people nervous about washing their buds. :wink:

2 Likes

I figure why not… for science haha.

4 Likes

Just make sure you rinse them properly, I think I missed one rinse on some green crack and they don’t taste very good.

2 Likes

Green, lemon, baking soda crap? :rofl:

2 Likes

This is an interesting concept. What are the baking soda and lemon for? I would have figured that these things together would neutralize one another.

1 Like

What I’ve heard is that there’s effervescence when you mix them and that helps cleaning the buds, here’s the how-to Tinytuttle kindly explained to me … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’ve used both peroxide and lemon/baking soda methods. I found they were both effective. The biggest key is to hang them in front of a fan after before you trim. I wash all my outdoor bud

5 Likes

Interesting! So it’s actually the neutralization process that benefits, not anything inherent in either substance. I’m kinda interested in trying in. Humidity can be in the single digits outside here at times, so I don’t need to worry about moisture hanging around too long. The opposite, actually. I would only use distilled water, since I don’t have an RO system and the water here dries with a thick white film. Maybe I’ll do 50/50 wash and regular dry.

3 Likes

anti-mold

The baking soda is to make your water more alkaline, since powdery mildew does not like an alkaline pH range. If your tap water has a pH of greater than 8 you can get away with using just plain tap water in the first bucket, otherwise add in about 1-2 grams of baking soda per liter of water. You can also add some PH up to bring the water in to that range.

8 Likes

I’ve done it with just water and the buds don’t absorb any or get soggy or anything. I did it with water for esoteric reasons but overall I think it’s a good idea if you think your buds are contaminated for some reason. Especially outdoor.

4 Likes

Gotchya! I thought the baking soda and the lemon juice were in the same bucket. Makes more sense now.

3 Likes

I don’t dry in front of a fan, and I don’t wet trim either. I guess if you were really high humidity, you may want to. We were pretty close to ideal last time though. The humidity did stay pretty high for the first day-ish.

4 Likes

Yup it’s like cleaning dentures ! Couple rinses grab several clumps of buds swing them in a downward motion to get excess water out then in from of a fan for 6-8 hours hang to dry !

Small buds would do good in one of those salad spinners I would think

5 Likes

So after looking around i realized I apparently don’t have any baking soda and need more lemon juice. Should be able to pick some up in next few days and have another plant that needs to come down soon as well.

2 Likes

The problem I see with that particular set of instructions is the mixing of the hydrogen peroxide with the lemon juice. The peroxide would start to react with the lemon juice as soon as it’s mixed, so it wouldn’t last very long in the solution. The acid base neutralization will still cause some bubbles to form, but the peroxide would be gone within a few minutes.

2 Likes

H202 is a weak acid with a pH of 6.2. Lemon juice is also an acid, so there is no reaction. Hydrogen peroxide is similar to milk or rain as far as PH range.

After washing your harvest you will want to quick-dry the buds by adding in some extra air movement to your drying area for an hour or two after washing. Hang the washed buds (or drying rack with washed buds) near but not in front of a fan until the biggest drops of water are gone (usually just a few hours) and then dry as normal.

4 Likes

I was more thinking the peroxide reacting to the organics in the juice itself, though I’ve never tried mixing juice with peroxide to see if it fizzed :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

both are acidic, so organic or not there is no reaction when placed together. Its not like mixing vinegar and baking soda to make a volcano in science class which forms peracetic acid.

2 Likes

Not a ph thing, but the peroxide itself breaking down since there’s organics to react to, like when you put it on a cut or dirty surface. I just though that the peroxide was a separate bucket or as part of the final rinse since it does just turn into free oxygen and water.

2 Likes

Wow this thing got alot bigger then I thought. It got a little hairy there for a minute. I thank everyone that weighed in.
I did end up washing my last harvest with just water tho. I chickend out. At the time I just found out first hand what those little spider mite buggers can do. I didn’t want my folks smoking bugs. Personally I don’t mind.
I forget who said it but I can see how the baking soda then lemon juice blasts out impurities. I used to play with the two as kid pouring lemon juice in baking soda inside a little volcano. It’s still fun thinking about it.
I can see why people are hesitant to put there babies in such a volatile mixture. I recommend doing what @monkeyman said about trying one branch let it dry out then see what you think. Baby steps. See what works for you. Love y’all! Stay safe covid is about to get crazy because of the holidays. Keep your hands washed!

2 Likes