Washing Your Harvest?

Not nuts at all. Cleans the bud perfectly. It’s a commonly used organic wash. I’ve never gotten black buds. Mine come out clean and perfect without the harsh h202 and btw…baking soda is alkaline and neutralizes pm as well. And of course you do a dunk in clean water after. You don’t leave it on then trim. lol

10 Likes

I used to work for a guy that used the hydrogen peroxide, rinsed, then washed in the lemon juice and baking soda as well. He would then do a double rinse. From what I understand, you want to use warm water. Cold water can knock the trichs off. Don’t you use ice water when making hash? It stands to reason.

Edit: also don’t leave the buds in the peroxide too long, that is supposed to have some downside. He only had me leave them in there 30 seconds if memory serves me.

12 Likes

I soak in the bs and lemon then dunk in warm fresh bucket then cold (out of the tap) not ice water. Still had all it’s trichs after all that and using the bud bowl trimmer. Oh and in 15 pounds of bud last year, never found even one dead bug after the wash.

14 Likes

Rinsing with H202 is fine, and the lemon and baking soda solution is an old-school organic produce wash. The chemical reaction of the lemon juice and baking soda acts as a surfactant that gently encourages dust, dirt, and other non-native junk that you don’t want from the deep parts of the plant. Cannabinoids are fat-soluble, and a gentle wash does not disturb the potency of your buds and will prevent you from combusting and inhaling dirt, hair, and dust. I think as long as you do some sort of bud washing you will be better off and have better tasting buds.

11 Likes

I think it is just to avoid hitting the branches with the walls and bottom of the bucket when you shake the branches inside the water, I also thought about that :thinking: when “someone” :innocent: stated that in other thread … ejem|nullxnull

3 Likes

I seem to recall that H202 May have some oxidizing effect on the trichomes ,I wouldn’t think a 3% that’s even diluted more wouldn’t have any ill effects on trichomes Lemon juice and Baking soda works for me the combo just blasts all the shit off even deep in the buds.

6 Likes

Very cool topic! This has me thinking so much, i don’t think i would with indoor but the outdoor after reading about bird poop and everything else seems like not a bad idea. But… i just don’t know if i could go through with it the thought of drenching my buds just don’t feel right. Gonna be following along cause i trust and believe what you guys are saying.

7 Likes

I had two Early Skunk outdoor, when flipping I had no room in the flower tent so only one of them went inside. The one left outside had some bugs so when harvesting I followed Tinytuttle’s advice and rinse it with baking soda and lemon.

My only fault was not drying enough with a fan the buds before curing them, so I finished with real dark buds, but compared to the ones that were inside and didn’t need a bath the flavour and smoothness were much better.

Doing it properly doesn’t bring any risk and watching what is left floating in the buckets brings you a great relief and a commitment to always repeat that process … :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I might just add that I pluck all fans and do a quick trim up to the sugar then they get the dunk!

7 Likes

yes, that’s how I do it also

7 Likes

You would if you saw the water that the bud is “washed” in. It’s a dark brown. Disgusting.

7 Likes

Dad pulls some leaves, but we mostly cut it straight off the plant and into the bud wash. Still comes out clean.

5 Likes

Give it a try with one branch and see if you can tell the difference. I honestly don’t see any difference in drying time at all, and have never had an issue of a washed bud turning black or rotting. Any trichomes that would come off in the wash would get knocked off anyway. I notice a much better flavor, and the cannabanoids, thc and terpenes aren’t degraded in the process because they aren’t water soluble. Hydrogen peroxide’s spare oxygen molecule likes to reattach itself to a better molecule, oxidizing it and killing microbes, while leaving behind good old plain clean water. After I’m done washing my buds and everything settles, I can see a film of dirt on the bottom of the tub when looking through a rainbow film floating on the top of the water, and that’s the stuff I gladly won’t be smoking. The baking soda acts as an anti-mold agent, lemon juice and peroxide acts as an antibacterial and antiseptic, and the final wash with clean water assures that your buds will be cleaner and safer to smoke.

15 Likes

Yeah man… Like I said No worries with h202 havest wash… At all.
Nothing falls off. I dont use cold water. Just room temp. In fact I do all my trimming just after it dripps off a little bit from the wash. The leaves and branches are very easy to remove and my scissors hardly get resin on them.
I’ve been doing this a long time with 100drs of pounds of AAA bud. So no worries at all.

8 Likes

Why ?

You dont need to use anything els… The h202 is all that is needed…
No need for lemon juice baking soda or anything else.
The hydrogen peroxide the 02 molecules will lift everything off the bud. And you don’t even have to rinse it off if you don’t want to it turns into water anyways cuz it is. H202… simple chemistry.

4 Likes

Well now, you all have my interest piqued. So now I’ve gotta try washing part of my outdoor this season. I’ve been growing for years and never heard of washing my harvest. If it does work it would of been nice to know about 20-25 years ago during my heavy grow period. Gonna give it a try this season though.
That’s why I love this site, I get to learn something new daily. Thanks for the new information guys and gals.

11 Likes

hmmm…I don’t think we need that much lemon juice either. If you do the baking soda and 2 rinses should get the lemon out but my experience with lemon juice calls for more baking soda and rinsing next time.

otoh I have been using hydrogen peroxide in the wash water the last few times still gets the bugs out and I am always worried about PM or botrytis in the drying/curing stage so this eases my mind some.

I have taken to sterilizing any jars and using new freshly unsealed humidity packs each time.

7 Likes

The baking soda acts as an anti-mold agent, lemon juice and peroxide acts as an antibacterial and antiseptic

6 Likes

Do you think a good spray with the hose a few days before harvest would have a similar result?

I can see the grime build up on my lawn furniture and sure wouldn’t want it on my buds.

6 Likes

It’s still not needed there’s no reason for it in my opinion…
I’ve been doing this for years and I’ve never had to use lemon juice or baking soda for any reason and think it’s just a waste of time and money myself personally.
If you use the hydrogen peroxide h202 wash as you said yourself antibacterial and antiseptic… So why do I need baking soda or lemon juice?
I’ve never had to use it in 10 years and in that amount of time I’ve maybe washed 4 or 5 tons of cannabis.
So why should I want to use baking soda and lemon juice now and go through another process it happened to wash it all off more water to waste.
That makes no sense and it’s unneeded…
Adding baking soda and lemon juice would be for the novice or amateur cannabis grower the hobbyist. That has nothing better to do than experiment with their time.
I neither have neither time or patience to waste any longer. I’m a busy person and this is how I do it… take it or leave it…

3 Likes