Washing Your Harvest?

Seems like someone should make a youtube comparing lemon and baking soda to the peroxide method on the same harvest and strain.

1 Like

To each their own, I am glad your technique works for you and that it has been successful.

Baking soda and lemon juice has long been used by organic gardeners to wash their produce, for the reasons stated, and anyone interested in checking it out should simply google ā€œlemon juice and baking soda as an organic wash for vegetablesā€ and you will find a plethora of information regarding itā€™s effectiveness and the science behind it all.

It obviously is up to the individual to choose to do things their own way. The fact is that I have not ever harmed any buds in the process, and it is a technique that is widely used, effectively.

9 Likes

And of course teach their own thatā€™s fine. But fine sirā€¦I hope in no way that you were implying that hydrogen peroxide wash is not organic???

Because if you are??

Then you would be absolutely wrong. ā€¦
You should make sure that the people whom you teach know exactly what youā€™re sayingā€¦ it would not be nice not tell the whole truth .

Hydrogen peroxide is completely organic.

As the outcome is waterā€¦ pure waterā€¦
As I am a 99.9% organic grower purely and have been for many many many years.

Again to each their own.
From One organic farmer to another.
Good day
GTG

6 Likes

if you were replying to me, then no, I wasnā€™t implying that at all, and I am sorry if I did - itā€™s safe to use, and I use it also :sunglasses: :monkey_face: :monkey: :gorilla: :orangutan:

8 Likes

Perhaps adding hydrogen peroxide to the baking soda and lemon formula might be the definitive solution. Yes, I am a novice or amateur grower that has nothing to do but experimenting with his time ā€¦ frech|nullxnull

12 Likes

I use the hydrogen peroxide method because i donā€™t expose my buds to anything that leaves residues, not even organic residues. I go through the trouble of making sure that there are no bugs whatsoever at the beginning of flowering and if there are i fight them without any fumigation whatsoever. When I buy the h2o2 i make sure it is food grade without any stabilizers in it. IMO using baking soda and lemon juice leaves some residues on the plant and you would be smoking these residues. Also H2O2 works so well I never saw the point. Hereā€™s a video of how i do it. https://vimeo.com/275728566

7 Likes

Quite frankly Iā€™m getting tired already of the back and forth bickering so letā€™s lay it to rest please everything is fine itā€™s two different processes that work it thatā€™s it ! Both get results that work .

12 Likes

I havenā€™t seen any bickering in this thread, just discussion of different methods, sorry if you see it that way

6 Likes

Nobody asked?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bicker

ā€œArgue about petty and trivial matters.ā€

I definitely consider this bickering (see above) and agree with @Tinytuttle. @Northern_Loki please monitor for thread closure.

@Growtogrow please consider a couple things:

1. every garden environment is different and air quality, pests, etc. vary with that. some areas are filthy, others are pristine.

THATā€™S WHY.

1. Attacking other members isnā€™t accepted here; please review your posts.

@LemonadeJoe my apologies but please review previous several posts, will edit/delete as this as needed.

:v:

:evergreen_tree: :balance_scale: :yin_yang:

6 Likes

I donā€™t see an argument here, this is obviously something that everyone doesnā€™t do, and people are naturally going to be skeptical of taking up something new like this, so there will be questions, and clarifications, and differing opinions - I think all of that is allowable and healthy and should be encouraged rather than dismissed or threads closed due to the fact that there is more than one opinion on the matter. Growing marijuana is one of those things that works with many different approaches, and what works for one person may not work for another, and with that in mind it is important to have the opportunity to put forth different ideas, and discuss them. There has been no name-calling or people getting attacked or heated up that I can see, just different people with different ideas, which is part of what makes this forum so great.

11 Likes

I agree with Tinytuttle.

Thanks for sharing your solution, @Growtogrow.

There are more ways to skin the cat. No need to push some particular solution to the problem. Sharing your solution is enough, no need to repeat same arguments over and over to ā€œconvertā€ others under your flag. I have sent reply to your PM too.

btw. I have removed some off topic parts (photos of big plants, etc). Please start your garden topic in proper category to share them. (You can link to it).

9 Likes

Soā€¦ Aside from the cultural ā€œyuckā€ factor, is there actually any problem with smoking bugs? Does it depend on the bugs?

3 Likes

Haha Have you ever smoked a bug? I donā€™t think I have, but for some reason I want to say they will add some spice. :rofl: We may have to ask cheech and chong

9 Likes

I am sure I have, though I have never done so intentionally. There was stuff on my graveyard Motherā€™s Milk that I couldnā€™t see under the low magnification of my microscope. Possibly, at that scale itā€™s mites. I meant ā€œbugā€ in the crawly pest context.

I imagine they crackle, though perhaps not explosively, like seeds. Bet some get you high. Someone, other than me, needs to experiment with this.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been told they crackle when smoking the bud, if so then Iā€™ve smoked buggy bud, it kinda gave a scorched taste. Not a real pleasant taste but not unbearable.

Decided to try the h202 rinse on a plant last night, used @Growtogrowā€™s method mentioned except only a few minutes soak verses the 20 minutes. Only got to do part of harvest because of time but if I feel ambitious later and have baking soda and lemon juice I may try that method for comparison.

5 Likes

That will be great to have as a side by side comparison. Could you report back with your findings?

1 Like

That was the plan, got hit hard with mites currently week 9 of flower and needed to be taken down anyway plus i need the tent cleaned before I can move manifold cup entry into there rather than open room where it currently is.

2 Likes

I appreciate that. There are still some people nervous about washing their buds. :wink:

2 Likes

I figure why notā€¦ for science haha.

4 Likes

Just make sure you rinse them properly, I think I missed one rinse on some green crack and they donā€™t taste very good.

2 Likes