Weed not staying lit and is harsh

Id also say it isn’t the flushing

Overfed plants as other say can be very harsh and hard to keep lit, and it can be very hard to flush and cure.
Not saying overfeeding was the case, if you never got over 1.6 Ec. I got my small moms at 1.6 Ec atm. and used to run some strains all the way up to 2.8-3.0 Ec in DWC years back, cut back on food 2½ week before harvest. Slowly deluting the solution, and let it run on pH adjusted tap water the last week.
I found this would be time enough for the plants to use up the nutes buildup, and they will yellow up real nice in the last week.

If not the best way to flush overfed plants, is by osmosis and simply bomb your plants with a crazy high Ec nutrient mix. This will drain the nutrients from the plant, but it will not create the same sugars in the leafs.
I found it can effect the flavor, if possible just keep them on pH adjusted tap water and let them yellow up natural.

But it will not taste harsh, burn bad or something like that.

Not helping at the stage after harvest, id try to water cure a small amount in RO water. Redry, cure and see how that turn out. If it’s salts from overfeeding, the watercure should help alot. And you will know, if thats the case.
Only smoked water cured bud once, didn’t like it. SO can’t recoment it, for anything but a way to test for left over salts.

2 Likes

I’m curious about your drying environment(temp/RH%) ??
I struggle with creating a proper one to dry mine & the RH% is very low here.
Either I f’ up my home or my herb. Dang. :wink:

a good 6-12 wk cure seems to make it all better. this year i will try to use the humidity packs while curing, maybe do 1/2 just to compare.

:v:
:evergreen_tree: edit: title made me LOL :wink:

Would an excess of a single nute cause that? Cause I didn’t use plain water to flush I just let the plant drink and use nutes and then topped up and kept doing that until it got pretty diluted.

I can see where this may have left an abundance of a particular salt it wasn’t eating a lot of?

I was drying during a heat wave and it was about 80F in the room and about 60% RH. Took a while to dry in those conditions.

I’ll try a real straight water flush on this crop and keep feeds around 1.0EC and see how it goes. Different strain so not 100% reliable comparison.

2 Likes

with yellow edges on leaves sounds like it was lacking a mineral your plants could have lock out nutes during grow.

we keep skirting an issue here…

it’s nothing to do with flush or nutrients…

your herb doesn’t taste right for 2 reasons and 2 alone: 1. you dried it to fast and chlorophyll got locked in or 2. you cut it way too early…

those are the only two reasons I’ve Ever had for bad tasting weed that doesn’t stay lit

edit: in order to quell trolls and all other questions I think we’d all like to see what the plant looked like before you cut it and what the flower looks like now

5 Likes

I wish I had pictures of it before but I wasn’t active with a forum when I chopped a month ago

3 Likes

the bud itself looks done and super fire… but zooming in on it, I see mostly clear and a few cloudy and Amber trichs… but that could be the lighting…
otherwise I’d say your issue was you were about 2 weeks early on harvest

2 Likes

I will not add something new and I’m sorry, but these trolls are totally right. They are just not diplomatic enough to put you on the right way.

1. I don’t flush all plants the same way. Some require more time, some need specific treatments to express theyr goodness, others … etc … so the “ten days golden rules” is in fact a total BS in practice. Consider it as a hint to dig only, a starting point to make your own strategy to obtain something good.

And most of the time the best weed producers (the ones than can produce for cups) will never really share their little secret on their flush/drying process.

1. nutrients quality is a high weight in the balance. Some shitty brands just can’'t be flushed, it’s too late at the moment you feed your plant with it. Dumb consideration but critical.

2. a chaotic nutrients scheme with high grade nutrients is just as bad than a perfect schedule with low grade nutrients. It’s just an example, but reinforcing P too early and during one week will simply destroy your bud quality. For good. No matter what you do later.

3. in DWC/NFT/Aero, an unstable PH that need to be regulated too often is as bad than the point 2 and 3. In this case, forget your PH and focus on your KH instead. It will simply permit you to obtain a good product with a bad water, just adapt your feeding chart to the stabilized PH you obtain like that.

4. a lot of people are totally crazy about the chlorophyl, it’s trendy i will say, but no one water-cure theyr weed lol So take it with a grain of salt. I assume to say, reinforced by a lot of exchange with famous producers, that it is not your main priority.

Wate-cure one of these problematic buds, and re-dry it gently when the water is totally clear. If your combustion is fine after this process, you known what to do. Don’t forget to “taste/smell” the first pass of water to identify what’s going on : metallic taste ? rotten citrus smell ? hay taste ? syrup texture of water ? multilayer water ? etc …

Anyway you’re concerned by the quality of your bud, and it’s a fckg good starting point. Good luck and best vibes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I’m still not any closer to solving this. Being told a lot of different things and where I grow in one rdwc it’s hard to try different suggestions without doing it to the whole batch. And if I tried the different suggestions on a new batch that would lead to inconclusive evidence as new variables are present.

Onto the nutrients I use Jack’s 5-12-26 and Calcium Nitrate (Yara Liva brand).

pH is relatively stable since I use 18 gal per plant. And I’ve been doing remodeling to my home recently so I haven’t been pHing often. I’ll set to 5.6 and then a week later I’ll be around 6.2 and I’ll start the swing cycle over.

Over the winter I grew a strain that looked like shit so I neglected it and it’s final product smelled tasted and smoked great. a true double bagger

Onto water. My pH is 10.3 with a lot of calcium carbonate which is what is bringing the pH so high. The starting EC is about 0.16 so I guess that makes my KH pretty high? Had to look up KH as it wasn’t a term I was familiar with.

It’s weird you mentioned it to be honest about the whole frequent pH adjustments. I’ve never had this issue with bubble buckets which use 3 gal per plant in which I adjusted the pH daily.

holy fAhck! 10.3?!

ouch.

i’d start there. dang.

:v:
:evergreen_tree:

I’ve gotten it tested. Nothing bad in it. Lots of calcium carbonate. Some Na. Some Ca. Some Fe.

I’ve grown good bud with this water for 4 years. Sometimes it smells good but mostly smells like hay(may be my drying technique and harvesting early but I’ve been letting it go for 10 weeks these past few runs) but it has never burned like this.

I’ll ease back on the nutes this run. My leaves are usually dark green going from veg to flower but not clawing like an N tox. so I’ve been easing up a hair on the Calcium Nitrate and this run the leaves are a nice green.

I run the mix thru cannastats angelfire website and it gives me 45ppm of P. I’ve been noticing lots of purple leaves with this nutrient.

1 Like

1 Like

I have noticed there is more of a link reported between flushing and weed that will not burn than any other factor. Others disagree and have a strong opinion but little to back it other than pure assertion.

To me, your problem is yet another data point pointing towards this conclusion.

The latest research says flushing does nothing extra to what you gain from curing. As with most things, I would advise you to do your own research and find how best to treat your own plants.

As that is the only change imposed, it suggests it is the cause of the change observed.

Very much this. A cow don’t make ham.

Regarding burning, if we go back to basic chemistry, burning is oxidisation of chemicals. If those chemicals are not present in the right proportions, you do not have the building blocks for burning. The rest should be obvious.

2 Likes

Is it just the smell you don’t have ?? How about the taste , inhale exhale what is that like?? don’t remember reading about the taste . I think that’s important trying to figure out about this cultivar as you state you have grown it 4 other times and no smell but it must have something going for it to grow it that many times. I give you credit tho trying to figure this out I prolly would have tossed it after first time.

2 Likes

Onto the nutrients I use Jack’s 5-12-26 and Calcium Nitrate (Yara Liva brand).

Sound good, generally ppl that use it known how to feed their plant. One point to avoid in the equation (bad nutes).
I don’t understand the Cal btw, your water is allready very basic.

I’ll set to 5.6 and then a week later I’ll be around 6.2

This is not the case of a terrible water imho. I was more talking about a tank than gain at least one point per day. Another point to avoid in the equation (too agressive PH regulation).

My pH is 10.3 with a lot of calcium carbonate which is what is bringing the pH so high. The starting EC is about 0.16 so I guess that makes my KH pretty high?

Pretty high yes, the jump to reach 5 is a big one. Look stable but you divide by twos your PH, it mean a lot of regulators in water. 5 points … we are no longer talking about a normal regulation but about a transformation imho.

It will be very long to explain in detail what is the KH, consider it as the skeleton of the PH. The bones that truly decide where your PH will be or need to be. Sometimes to fix the KH reduce the use of PH regulators drastically (in quantity and frequency). You can find KH kits with ease in “fish tank hobby” shops, for cheap.

But your water handle one point in one week without regulation, even if it start very high. KH is a false direction too.

Now, you can taste an unstable regulation of PH in term of quality. That’s real, but you have to be picky on it i assume. I’m more the guy that have a dance with carencie’s borderlines than pushing the plants to theyr limits on the feeding charts. And i grow PH free also for that (not hydro). I’m very sensitive on what they eat and how they eat it since a couple of spanish cups ^^, and i don’t give a fck about the yield lol Speed and quality are more important in my eyes.

I repeat, to water cure one bud (an apical one will be optimal) will inform you on what’s going on exactly. And you don’t need to reform anything to test it.

The most common i’ve seen on this specific problematic of combustion is the high density of heavy metal in vegetal mass. But nothing in your context and indications lend this way.

Nice link Microdoser. But i have to talk about the process.

1. 2 weeks of plain water
  2. flooding with 10 liters then plain water

No one do that for a competition or to sell a weed twos figures a gram ^^ In my native slang we use more the term “rinse”, wich mean generally more a specific “sauce” to finish the plants than plain water.

But i find the initiative very nice, because most of the time it’s how the “flush” is understanded.

Was running it to see if I could get it to taste and smell good.

I gave up on it and didn’t carry any clones over

1 Like

It starts high but after I add nutrients I’m at 6.1 @ 1.2EC so it’s about 9ml per 90gal res to get pH to 5.6

I don’t do any reservoir changes besides transitioning to flower. Last grow I had a 90 gal system with 5 plants and I’d add water when it got low and nutrients in the same ratios back to get desired feed level after diluting it with top ups.

This system is new, this was only my second grow with it and I’m having a hard time remembering how last bud was. It didn’t taste great but it smelled great in the air? Definitely didn’t have this burn issue.

I gifted my sister some bud and she was smoking in the other room and I didn’t know and then started smelling really good weed from a few rooms over.

I dried it upstairs vs downstairs which it got a lot hotter.

Sorry just trying to go over different things.

But regardless, aside for the rare strain here and there most of my bud smells meh and tastes meh. Could be I’m used to it, but probably not. That’s why I wanted to try a flush this time around.

1 Like

This is not so much about staying lit and being harsh,

Just curious to why calcium nitrate? At what point do you stop using it?

1 Like

There is no calcium in the mix and plants need it from somewhere.

There is also not nearly enough N in the base mix.

These also need to be separate similar to a 2 part nutrient to prevent percipitation

2 Likes

I guess I should have said why not calcium sulfate instead of Nitrate.

That answered my question. :upside_down:

1 Like