Welcome to the Malebox!

I’m gonna chronicle my first attempts at collecting pollen and selective breeding/pollen chucking. Ive got this box set up away from the grow. These boys are at about a week or 2 of 12/12 and showing quite a bit of flowers. 2 Sunshine daydream clones of the same male and 2 different @growhard blue OG x Snow Lotus males are in the box now. Looks like one of my Cackleberry will end up in this box, and possibly another SSDD that I’m trying to sex right now.

No initial plans yet for a cross, just want to take advantage of being at home by collecting a few different types of pollen!

34 Likes

What’s the worse that could happen ? It’s a for sure win situation, lot’s of beans with lots of variables.
It would be better if you had a few different fems to throw up in that box, all full on orgy :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

Yeah I will do that, but w 2 different males representing 2 different strains, id like to do it w one strain’s pollen so I know what my crosses are going to be. I’m super pumped to be messing around w this!

7 Likes

This is an awesome idea to follow along to I’m currently waiting on sum male autos to flower for pollen collection they just showed about 2 days ago

5 Likes

@newb2.0 great start I’m in for the show :fire:

Good luck, pollen is sneaky stuff. It will get everywhere. Clothes, shoes, hats, etc. Luckily, it is very susceptible to water. So I usually shower and change clothes after working with male plants.

13 Likes

Thanks for the tip! The box is in the garage, so I should be able to keep everything clean. I’m not beyond working w the males in my skivvies! I’ll probably also seal it up a bit better before they start spewing.

5 Likes

I’m in. This is something I’m really interested in.

3 Likes

So I realized my plant pics from the original thread post were garbage. Unfortunately, lighting in the garage sucks and the single screw in LED doesnt really help me out much. I may line the walls w white plastic bc I have some leftover, and hey, wtf, I dont have a whole lot better to do at the moment! Anyways, heres some better pics of the boys. Any pointers on when I should expect to see the pollen drop based on how far along they look?

SSDD- in veg, the male smelled stronger than the female I ended up with.

This is the blue OG x snow lotus (ive gotten to calling it blue snow for simplicity, so if I slip up in the thread thats what it means). Nothing special to really note about these other than the fact they turned out male and i was already saving the SSDD male so i figured why not collect a few other strains’ males and collect a bunch of pollen at once. But the 4 plants I got, 2 males 2 females- 3 out of the 4 were pretty damn consistent in growth habits. One of the females was the outlier- it grew very stretchy in veg.

I know we all do a bunch of seed trading and preservation runs. Anyone interested in SSDD or the Blue OG x SL pollen?

I wanted to make a bunch more SSDD seeds as my first pollen project, but I feel like I need at least one more female for diversity. So I’m thinking of hitting the blue snow pollen on an SSDD I just stuck in flower this week.

7 Likes

Wahoo! We have the same tent! Mylar emergency blankets are cheap and make good liner. What do you have on the floor?

2 Likes

Just a cheap plastic tray they sell at the local big box home improvement store for $1.29/ea.

2 Likes

Duvet packaging. .

10 Likes

They look great, especially considering the light. It’s amazing what LEDs can do, you’re gonna have a shit-ton of pollen.

3 Likes

Got a pic?

1 Like

Pic of the tray or light?

Added cackleberry #2 from the solo cup challenge to the malebox. 100% confirmed male w fat balls.

3 Likes

Tray please.

2 Likes

Pic of a tray is better in the veggie tent. 12" x 24"

7 Likes

It looks like some may open at any time now. They don’t all open at the same time… it’s a process that can last for a while.
Check the ones growing from the stem or in the crotches of branches, as they normally open first.

You are looking at getting quite a bit of pollen from all those male donors. Don’t go around your ladies after visiting the pollinating males until after you wash up and change clothes.
Another option is to get a pack of Tyvek suits and use them with gloves, face mask and booties while collecting pollen, to keep it off you and from having accidental pollinations.

Water alone doesn’t kill pollen.

7 Likes

Thanks man, good pointers for sure. I was thinking I go out in the garage collect what I need, bag everything, get it ready for storage. Hit those hard surfaces on containers w some iso. Bag up the clothes, hang them outside, go in & shower.

I’ll be doing this all during the day, when the flower room is closed up tight in the basement. If I did this at 7am, I wouldnt be accessing the flower room til 7pm. I could even have them well watered so I wouldn’t need to go in there til the following day.

What am I not thinking about? I’m sure that I’m oversimplifying this…

3 Likes

And in terms of collecting the pollen. Was gonna wait til flowers were open and dropping. Make a bunch of little pouches w parchment paper, clip the flowers directly into the pouches and call it good. Do I need to be thinking about the pollen drying, or getting the plant material separated from the pollen prior to storage?

1 Like