Well, I'm still alive.. Lots of changes 'round here

3rd week update…

I want an “I LOVE my job!” bumper sticker… yes I’ve become one of “those” people!!

So far I’ve partaken in LOTS of defoliation, scrogging, trimming, TWO harvests, and lots of cleaning / decontamination of finished rooms. Jumped over to the propagation department for a day to test the waters, then decided I wanted to stick around in Flower a bit longer. (Propagation department was a bit slow-paced for me, days fly by with my people in Flower :D)

So, let me dispel some myths about some MSO’s (can’t speak for all of them, but the one I work at I can). First… Pretty much all of my co-workers consume (NOT at work!!), and speak about it openly with our managers. You quickly notice that the employees actually give a shit about the quality of the product. Between talking about the effects, to noticing issues and nipping them in the bud, its like I am with a bunch of my friends growing, not “stuck at work” with a bunch of clock-punchers… There are a few there who just like growing things and have NEVER consumed, and these people are just as cool as the life-long heads…

Second is the quality of the product. Clearly there are multiple lines, a premium line of bud, mids and low end flower (really its more like popcorn nugs instead of bigger nugs). When harvesting the premium line of buds we’re super careful when removing from the scrog, and they are treated like gold. Mids are more “cut and rip”, which leaves a lot of buds on the table, and some make it to the floor. This is an important distinction, because once it touches the tables or floor its now considered contaminated. Anything that is kept to the table can be used in the extractions lab, anything that hits the floor is garbage and is destroyed. Its really crazy to me to step on BIG top colas that had accidentally made it to the floor. Its like a friggen cow-pattie! (and they sometimes stick in the treads of your shoes!). Feels so wrong sweeping up so many buds to toss out / destroy when I’ve spent hours at home picking up a spilled bag out of carpeting with dog hair. How many times did I scrape resin from the bottom of a bowl to smoke, and here I am tossing out entire garbage bags of nugs that hit the floor.

Still haven’t sampled the goods yet. Our dispensary needs to have samples in stock (I am NOT paying my “discounted” full price, which isn’t bad really, to buy premium nugs when I have plenty of my own.) The samples are either carts or 1/8s of popcorn, and for the cost of them, I will wait till there are more in stock, then take a ride down there (dispensary is 45 mins away). We have a Mandarin Zkittles that I REALLY wanna try in nug and cart form… The smell of those flowers is AMAZEBALLS…

Working on bringing up the numbers of the Taylor Ham society :smiley: Several of my co-workers have signed on already and more to come :smiley: mwuhahahahaha

I’ve also realized that this IS the place for me… My existing knowledge base of growing REALLY comes into play, and my name has come up in manager’s meetings as a suggested person for various teams because OF that knowledge :smiley: Let me tell you how nice it is to finally be recognized for what my parents would have called “useless knowledge”. I believe it will open doors for advancement and promotion for me for once in my life :slight_smile: Its also nice to not be “the smartest one in the room” for a change, as many of my co-workers have knowledge in various areas that interest me. Fertigation automation and IPM come to mind, there’s lots for me to learn from those folks. For moms, prop, veg and flower I’m on par with their knowledge level, though I still learn a trick or two, and have shared some of my own. After 6 months there I can change departments if I wanted (to say… packaging, transportation, kitchen or lab), and while packaging and transportation doesn’t sound fun, kitchen looks like it could be, and I’ve talked with a guy in the lab who makes that seem like its another avenue I might explore the the future. For now, I LOVE my crew in Flower, and love the varied tasks which make each day fly.

I can also say, the right job changes you… I was chronically late for most jobs I have had for the past 30 years. I would always stay late to make up for it (get in at 9:05 but stay till 5:15), or, in the koi pond company “stay till the work was done” with no idea when quitting time was. NOT here! I am habitually early, even having time to change into my scrubs BEFORE punching in 15 mins early (the most we’re allowed to punch in early). And at quitting time you can actually leave on time! (or stay late to finish a harvest and make some overtime!).

Since I mentioned scrubs, let me point out that cleanliness is second to none there. Sometimes I swap out my scrubs 2-3x a day, certain rooms you need booties and tyvek suits on, and the decontamination of a room after a harvest is pretty intense! Disassembling fans and AC units, cleaning fan blades, filters, etc, the washing of the tables and all assorted grow items, even regular sweep and mop on the floors (which aint always easy with a room full of grow tables / racks / trays). After a harvest decontamination, those rooms are SO friggen bright and white with just racks, lights and trays with no plants or medium. Cleaner than any grow I have ever seen, bordering on white-room clean. I watched them make cuttings one day, and for each mom, they used a dedicated set of gloves, jar for the cuttings, and they rotated thru sterilized snips, one set per mom, never using a “contaminated” item on a different mom. Thats some pretty strict procedures for cleanliness, and impressed me. Heck, when we are scrogging a room with more than one strain, we change gloves when we change strains. Almost seems overkill to me, but I work for them, and govt regulations I am sure play a part in the final product.

Finally… The atmosphere and people. Awesome-Sauce!! Seriously, there’s not one co-worker that I even slightly dislike, they have assembled a great team (200+!!) and the positive mindset of each individual is there. I don’t have bad days at work anymore. Some days might be harder than others (scrogging is easy compared to harvesting the BIG flower room in a single day, which we did with 12 people last week and CRUSHED it!) There had to be over 2000 plants in that room. We even made it fun by competing with teams from opposite ends of the rows, first to reach the middle wins. Racks of weed were just flying outta that room…

So… If you get the chance to work for an MSO… Don’t think twice… Just jump in. You might find the most awesome job in the world. And at the end of the day leave happy, not because you are finally “leaving that place”, but because you had a GREAT day at work. TRULY makes a difference in your own personal happiness… It really does!!!

27 Likes

Nice write up @Nagel420,
Another example of “do what you love to do and never work a day in your life.”
Congrats on your new income in the field of your passion. :fireworks: :slightly_smiling_face::fireworks:

Well hell! I’m looking like the last to know ya back, brother! lol Welcome back and glad to see ya!

1 Like

If you find work you love, you never work a day in your life!
I was blessed, when I was erecting web printing presses, for almost 20 years.
Now retired, I love my cannabis gardens and the work involved to keep them in shape.
So, GOOD on you Nagel420!!

6 Likes

Never seen anyone brag about intentionally spreading illiteracy before but whatever blows your goat I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey, the NORTH shall RISE!!!

2 Likes

This is awsome bud. I’m glad that you’ve found a happy place at your location of employment!
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad envious of ya.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Way to rub it in ! Lol
Deff proud to hear your happy bro !
We have a major project going on in our town.
Demolition then building eventually we should have a farm/ manufacturing plant in town called E29 labs …eventually when the time comes for employment you bet your ass I’m applying

5 Likes

Sound like work is fun… :wink:
Congratulations on the new job and the new outlook on life.
Nice work, I hope this continues for ya.
Best of luck to you. :heart_eyes:
Shag

2 Likes

A month in… And like the McDonald’s commercials say…

“I’m Lovin’ It!”

This job ROCKS… Its work… but its really not??? I still say 3x a day “I can’t believe they are paying me to do this”.

Been involved in all aspects of flower now except for loading a room from Veg. I’ve done various levels of defoliation and trimming / scrogging are pretty routine days, harvested on 3 days (those days are FAST days), and room decontamination after a harvest / before the next grow (those are pretty intense cleanings!)… Music is wide and varied (seriously can be listening to Charlie Daniels “Devil Went Down To Georgia” followed by something from Beyonce, or even Dub-step.) Every new person I meet is still cool, and I feel like “these are my people”. Spent a day in the mom / propagation department and realized quickly I missed my “Flower Peeps”. Just a faster paced and more fun environment for me in Flower.

Evidently my knowledge is showing thru, I’ve been assigned to a few teams because I know different things, and that WILL open doors for me at this place.

And, probably the biggest accomplishment for me for the past 30 years, I’ve gone a WHOLE MONTH being at least 15 mins EARLY to work every day! (many days I arrive 25 mins early and change / relax before punching in). That says ALOT if you know me (and how I was habitually late to almost every job in the past 30 years!). Past bosses might say I’ve been replaced by an alien, but in reality its the workplace / people that make me wanna get there and get to work!

21 Likes

Hell Yeah! lol Glad to hear you got into a happy place, brother!

3 Likes

What a day, what a day, WHAT A DAY!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On a harvest crew today, with some really good people. Great team functionality, some harvest techniques that made us work like a well oiled machine… And this was a room that NEVER had issues, no PM, no nothing. So this room was special, and we were hand picked for the crew today. Always nice to know I’ve been hand picked for a task with this level of responsibility, I’m showing my skills it seems :smiley:

So… WE CRUSH this room. Over 1,000 plants, and there are 3 strains in there, one of which is one of my FAVORITE smelling flower, Mandarin Zkittles… They smell SOOOO GOOOOD in flower, its almost intoxicating on its own. We had a couple of guys cutting, I was playing runner (running plants from the cutters to the racks that we put them on for the weighing process). We started at 6 am and by first break we had the entire 1st tier cut. By 12:30 we had everything cut. New record?? possibly, definitely one of the fastest and smoothest harvests we’ve had in a long time. We could have finished by 11 if the post harvest crew could have kept up!

So we know we’ve crushed it. We collect table buds, sweep the floors, gather the pots and garbage and STILL make the weekly meeting at the end of the work day… And this is the awesome part, we walked into the breakroom and the entire cultivation department (those not on the harvest crew) just start giving us a round of applause. FUCKING AMAZING spirit there!!! I didnt just leave work happy today, I left work feeling AWESOME… Amazing what a difference the right job AND the right workplace culture does for you!!

Now I smell of Mandarin Zkittles, just packed a bowl of Frankenstein, and gonna go take my pups to the dog park. I REALLY didn’t wanna turn in my scrubs today, they smelled SOOOOOO yummy!!!

17 Likes

Sounds like you’re just where you need to be there brother! Good for you! I’m jealous…almost, lol couldn’t keep up with that kinda pace anymore so I’ll just be happy for you!

6 Likes

It is a demanding (physically) job… I feel it in my bones, but I’m keeping pace with guys 20 years younger than me :smiley:

No more late nights for this boy, I’m out by 8 most nights LOL (and up at 4:30).

Its really a fun place to work, in an evolving industry, with great management and awesome crews. Its really like growing with friends, only difference is you cant take the bud home and someone else pays for it all :smiley: lol… Definitely changed my opinion of working for an MSO… for the better!

12 Likes

Im glad to hear everything is going well for you.
It really is a game changer when you can do what you enjoy for work, especially if they are treating you right. Awesome stuff man, and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

4 Likes

Nice to read this thread. I’m happy for you @Nagel420 .

:green_heart:

:dove:

4 Likes

Nice to read you’re so happy ! :green_heart:
I’m sincerely happy for you ! :pray::v:

4 Likes

Yep @Nagel420 , like all the others here, I’m just stoked to read this report from you! FANTASTIC!!! Better bottle some of that feeling up for any ‘drag days’ that come along. It’s always pretty amazing to have that experience of appreciation for your efforts, makes it a joy to do your so-called “work”! Congrats and hope it lasts as long as you want it to!

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

well… 4 months in and I’m still loving it! BEST FUCKING JOB EVER!

Was on a harvest crew today in an awesome room. no issues ever like pm or aphids, so it’s a clean room, a “special” harvest if you will. We had an OG crew in there and worked better than a well oiled machine taking down over 1000 plants in 6 hours AND weighing them for metrc… 3 cutters, 3 runners, and 3 on the scale and racks. never once was there an idle hand… Just something awesome working with a team where everybody just does their thing and then some extra to help the others. truly a TEAM effort today and we CRUSHED IT!

Harvest days are my favorite especially if I am on the harvest crew. I was lucky to be on two since Friday :slight_smile: I been busting my ass to earn my spot and to be considered an OG there now (been growing longer than some of my coworkers have been alive lol) it’s a great feeling to be respected for having knowledge in all phases of a grow (many newbs only know their department, ie veg, flower, propagation) and I’ve made a few suggestions which are now routine processes :slight_smile: Knowing how our strains grow now, how to prune and scrog them, it’s making a difference!!! harvest numbers KEEP going UP!!!

Also… 4 months and NOT ONE LATE!!! Every day 15 mins early actually! That kinda happens when you TRULY love your job…

26 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re in a good place, my friend!

3 Likes