WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Actually, my friend, I believe double doors was the original construction with no lites. In my mind I would think double doors made sense in ingressing and egressing the animals! wink Also, I would find it odd had someone down the line replaced any doors there with double 30" doors if they were not originally double 30" doors.

And, yeah, I’m with ya on the modern doors…they’ve made long strides in their development. It’s just at this moment, I’m thinking solid wooden doors or door should be installed here.

That combination looks great, @Bostonbud ! I wish you the best with your build! tup

smoke,
WHAB

2 Likes

You ever see any ghost of school kids or teachers?

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t believe in the phenomena. So, no winky

biggrin,
WHAB

2 Likes

Lol. I had to ask.

2 Likes

biggrin,
WHAB

1 Like

Maybe some crazy eyed goats @LilJonB :wink: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

Have you done a search with the County to get information and pictures of the building after it was built? You might be able to find architect drawings since it was a school. With the equipment you have and the red oak, you could make your door. IMO, the opening maybe too narrow for double door setup. Anyway, I wish I could give you a hand with the project I will be following your progress!

2 Likes

No, I have not done that, yet. It will likely provide a difficult task. The city in which this 1924 Brick Schoolhouse was built - Mt. Bethel - no longer exists. It was absorbed by another city around a 1/2 century ago.

And, I have seen it listed in a local historical registry, but it was rather simple…not much information. However, there are step-by-step directions right here. not a favorable situation - considering what I’ll be doing winky

I have been meaning to go to the local Historical Society just to see what they have - if anything.

Now that you have reminded me that I wanted to go, I’ll try and get over there tomorrow! tup I do have some other things I must attend to tomorrow, but I will try to get over there.

I’m fairly certain it had double doors originally. It makes sense to me that it would. A larger opening for people to pass through at the same time - end of the school day.

Double doors don’t make sense as a residential entry. Much too narrow and too much work to make the opening larger - opening the second door.

I am finding not having the Delta 22-650 13" Thickness Planer is making the frame I am making for the T5s difficult. More difficult than I expected but shouldn’t have not expected it! It might have a little twist in it! biggrin I’m getting ready to glue it up now.

I appreciate the offer, @Tejas That you for your interest, friend! Good to have ya! tup

wavy ,
WHAB

1 Like

As it was a school, your probably right about double doors. In a pinch your table saw can do a lot of similar functions like the planer.

1 Like

I don’t have a table saw. I had to rethink a woodshop when I concluded I’d be living in one. Dust collection is paramount. Table saws, typically, are horrible at it.

smoke ,
WHAB

1 Like

Dang, for some reason I thought you did, my bad. You can develop your cross cut saw skills :grimacing:.

1 Like

It’s cool. No problem, @Tejas . One naturally assumes a woodworker would have a table saw! winky

The table saw I had and got rid of was Powermatic 63 Aritisan 10". A “contractor” saw with no cabinet and no bottom, no containment system. Its vintage was part of the problem. Dust collection wasn’t as big an issue then as it is today.

I switched over to Festool. It excels at most woodworking tasks. Except for fitting parts of varying thickness, I have discovered winky.

This T5 frame is actually the first “woodworking” project I’ve attempted with it. I’ll have a learning curve. I am looking forward to learning it and from it! tup

smoke,
WHAB

1 Like

I have old school turned house near me makes me want it

2 Likes

They’re out there.

I was considering this one for a while. It’s a beautiful building on the outside. It’s just too damn big, for me…

1916 Church…plus more!

It doesn’t seem to be on the market now but it has been on and off for months. It was $90,000 the last time saw a price for it.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/415-E-Walker-St.-ash-Grove,-MO_rb/2079881364_zpid/?

It would make a great Woodshop! tup ROFLMAO

smoke,
WHAB

5 Likes

That’s beautiful I would want to turn back have in to garage of shorts for not being a wood worker. Still thou cool walk way. Those double doors will turn out rocking thou to!

2 Likes

There is enough outbuildings you could do whatever you’d like with it.

My mind’s eye is seeing the interior as beautiful as the exterior. ‘True’ Cathedral ceilings! rockon biggrin

My mind’s eye is also seeing “built-ins” all over the place! I’d really like to see the inside just to see it!

wavy,
WHAB

2 Likes

Final fit…

The Witch’s Brew biggrin

Nothing left but the cryin’! ROFLMAO

smoke ,
WHAB

7 Likes

After attempting to upload ONE picture and watching it go up to 63% complete only to watch it start the upload again - several times, I’m going to post what I have, I’ll restart my browser and try again

Nope. After rebooting browser, It got to 64% and restarted. It got to 55% and restarted. It got to 63% and restarted. I give up. IF in the future I’m able to upload images again I ‘may’ try to upload them again…maybe

Here we go!

T5 frame is out of clamps, glue squeeze out removed, planed off and sanded and is done - to a degree I am comfortable with (although I ‘may’ “finish” it (apply a finish to it) just to accentuate the Medullary Rays).

Site now accepting images again! :sunglasses:

New tubes that took a dozen Deep Freeze “Out For Delivery” attempts to get here are installed.

I still have to come up with a way to hang the T5 fixtures to the frame. I have hooks on the fixture side. I ‘may’ try a ‘lose’ staple to hook them to on the frame side.

Lose staples look like they’ll work. I chose lose staples because their low-profile.

Next is the Stand for the Cloning Machine under which these lights will operate!

Later today when I’m in town, I’m going to try and come up with a way I can plug my Delta 13" Thickness Planer into the Dryer outlet here at the 1924 Schoolhouse to use on the Red Oak I’d like to use for the stand. IF I can’t get the thickness for the parts to a similar thickness I’m not going to use the Red Oak. I’ll just Pocket Hole 2x4s instead. I can’t go through what I went through with the T5 frame with varying thicknesses of the parts and made processing them difficult. More difficult than it should have been, with results I would have discarded had I not be in near immediate need of the T5s.

I will also go to the Historical Society like I said I would yesterday. I didn’t make it in to town. I don’t just go in to town for any reason or no reason. I like to go when I have other matters to attend to and group tasks into that time.

pictures that refused to load here on over in my thread on MPG. Apologies!

smoke ,
WHAB

10 Likes

Nice neat work. Gotta love it. The only thing I miss from high school is shop class. Graduated top of my class in tech. Should have tryed to do something in technology.

2 Likes

I wish I would of focused on this skills more. Would of had a better chance at passing than english. Lol looking good!

2 Likes