WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Oh my! What a string of terrible things to happen! It’s got to get better from here though, right??

2 Likes

That’s how the song goes, I hear! winky

tup,
WHAB

2 Likes

So my friend’s house caught fire from faulty wiring in his doorbell. He said his doorbell kept going off, and he would check and no one was there. Then he stupidly left to hit up the gas station and when he got back his house was smoking like crazy. He luckily caught it before too much damage occurred, but that stuff always worries me.

1 Like

He is trespassing and probably casing the barn. There would be no reason for him to be there unofficially and out of uniform.

3 Likes

Sorry for delayed response. Been busy with other things.

I misidentified the individual in the picture. It was Gas Company employee.

My sister didn’t know that until she called gas company after picture was posted.

Regards,
WHAB

3 Likes

I have not even been up in the loft since the last time I updated.

I’ve been very busy helping my sister. I just spent over an hour messaging with her about getting a replacement fob key and then having that fob key cut in to what I have read is a Programming Profile (I have no idea what that means, yet).

Then, I have a old friend that is moving to MO from California (he FINALLY escaped! crazy). Well North of me. He was supposed to be here at the 1924 Schoolhouse today. He’s stuck in Wyoming due to I-80 being closed, still 10+ hours from his final destination (before he comes down here).

I’ve been trying to think back to how long we have been friends. I think I was 13 or 14 when we met, it may have been earlier. A friendship of MANY decades. It’ll be good to see him!

Now, I’m just trying to keep warm.

It’s 67F at my desk, nearest to the fire.

Outdoor temps, Loft and Under-Loft…

Space heater where I lay my head…

52F back there!

BRRRR!

beercheer,
WHAB

3 Likes

Doorbells are low-voltage, aren’t they?

Unless transformer went bad. I can’t imagine the doorbell catching fire (or even smoking).

Glad to read your friend wasn’t too awfully effected!

wavy,
WHAB

2 Likes

Absolutely can! although its only 12 volts. I’ve seen smoldering 12v circuits when there’s a short. Its not long to make it to full blown fire with just the right draft.

3 Likes

Roger that!

Thanks you for the information. I have nearly zero experience with doorbells!

I wonder if Whole Home Surge Protector would prevent anything like that?

I put one in the last place I lived in. Not for that reason, my reason was to not lose any more electronics.

I have thought about putting one in this 1924 Schoolhouse (new electric, never had electricity prior to that).

Regards @Nagel420!,
WHAB

2 Likes

I lost this to a lightning strike several years ago…

I installed the Whole House Surge Protector after the damage was done.

I bought it back in 1996. It was a AWESOME system.

I’ve tried to have it repaired. I have searched for a replacement motherboard.

Failed in both.

I haven’t been able to force myself into throwing it in the trash! facepalm ROFLMAO

Man, it had great specs. Except for speaker connections, it’s specifications hold up against brand new units!

I have been unable to replace it yet…I am looking. I desperately need one.

IF anyone happens to have an extra Surround Sound Head Unit laying around not being used, I’d be interested in receiving one! winky

IF anyone needs a case for their Onkyo Head Unit, you’re welcome to this one!

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

I meant to do this the other day. Events distracted me. I foliar sprayed them first.

I thought I had enough ‘new’ cups for this. Luckily I held on to some of the used ones.

I also brought the light down on them. I was holding off doing that until I knew they’d survive my mistake!

There aren’t any roots showing, yet…not that I could casually see. I did not look intently at any of them.

I’m hoping the leaves were drooping is due to cold.

I foliar sprayed them again before cupping them.

Good morning!

Make it a great day! tup

IF you pray, say one for the Sovereign nation of Ukraine! (Failed European leadership!)

volcano,
WHAB

7 Likes

As @Nagel420 said, low voltage circuits can definitely cause a fire.

Got this guy in yesterday and it will surely burn some stuff. On purpose though.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am nearly totally clueless as to low voltage systems within residential electrics.

Will your new tool be joining us for lunch?

winky

ROFLMAO

Looks like a nice flame dripper! tup (I’m unaware of its actual vernacular! winky. I know what they are, I don’t know what they’re called)

Edit Add: did a search for “flame dripper”, it resolved to Drip Torch. I was close! winky

Beautiful fireplace, btw!

rockon.
WHAB

2 Likes

Yes! Drip torch! One of my favorite tools. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If it’s not disgusting, and reeking of diesel/gas, I’ll gladly bring it. Our other one needs some maintenance, and we could use a second one anyway.

Also, I love this stove! Thanks for admiring it. It’s easy to prep wood for since the length of the box is 25½ inches. It gets real hot. Sometimes we end up opening windows because of how warm it get in here. Much needed in this weather. Also, we’re trying to not fill our propane tank more than once a year. If we can make it till April on the 18% left in there were golden.
We’ll see. 🤷

2 Likes

I’m concerned you’d want to fire it up (pun intended, or not! winky) on the landscape of our dinning facility!

Yeah, I’d have a fireplace BUT, cutting and loading its supply would put me down…send me to IR! winky. Yours is certainly is a very nice unit!

I cranked up the propane heater here last night and it barely held on to 68F at my desk (maybe 3 feet from propane heater) last night. The space heater back where I lay my head, that I cranked to maximum capacity (86F), said it was 53F when I laid down.

I contemplated putting gloves on last night frown

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to Spring and lessening my financial obligations when I no longer have to fill that tank. Should be soon, I hope!

How’s the roads up there? They shut down I80 last night, my friend was on it. (I know you’re not at that longitude).

rockon,
WHAB

2 Likes

I have a thing for some repeating numbers…4’s and 11’s mainly.

That’s A LOT of 4’s! winky Include the 4’s in the temps posted in the top of the frame next to 4:44 winky

(44F is not current temps. I haven’t updated that app in a while. It IS a BUNCH of 4’s, though! winky)

May the 4’s be with you! winky

winky,
WHAB

1 Like

I’ve been pretty busy otherwhere’s.

Now, where were we? winky

I had not been up in the loft since the last time I updated.

Some of the Girls were looking a bit yellow - pH imbalance. And, the reservoir was VERY hot.

First, I had to get this…

Up…

There…(by myself).

I believe it is better suited to the Rooting job up there. It is a 8000btu unit. The unit I have up there now is 14000btu. And, this one is the lightest of all 4 portable A/C units I have here (only 3 are currently operable) tup .

I’ve never used Humidity Domes. I did not “vent” these.

My first viewing in days…

VERY humid…water was pooling up around the base of the capsized cups.

I drilled 2 small holes in the bottom of each cup.

Temps when I got up there (I was up there by 9pm)…

Reservoir temps…VERY hot in there!

I switched the A/C units around, and their hoses.

I noticed above that the radius on the hose was too harsh, imo. I decided to move Cloning Machine II farther over to the left. I thought about pulling it away from the rear wall. I think this should work!

I checked a few for roots when I started up there. I was questioning IF this was going to work at all…frown

Then…

It’s not much, but it is something! And, it’s not really clear in the pictures but, the 3 images above these words have root nubs all over them. I’m sure the hot reservoir has impeded any root growth.

The Girls first uncovered…gonna have to come up with a better way to set that lid aside as I work up there. This worked okay but you can see where the reservoir sides are pushing against a couple of the baskets.

pH and temps when I started…

After a ‘measured’ 4ml dose of pH Down…

After another ‘measured’ 4ml dose…

I’ll recheck in a day.

I dipped them all in the Clonex Rooting Gel again shown in above pictures, just for good measure…

Then, I added Clonex Clone Solution (what I thought was Rooting Gel when I bought it).

I also brought out a second 60ml syringe to measure out the Clone Solution.

The Maths…crazy

I was first going to give them 7ml per Liter, that is in the middle of the 5 to 10 m. recommendation.

I toned it down to the low number - 5ml per Liter in 37 liters (I misremembered the Maths and multiplied 5 by 37L instead of 38L ROFLMAO) …185ml. Which worked out pretty good as the syringe is 60ml, so 3 doses.

Upon completion…

That Girl on the far left in front was really droopy…I thought I had knocked it around … But, I didn’t. It just needs my attention! ROFLMAO

I’ll get a picture of it in a couple/few hours and see how she’s doing.

And, then bringing the lights down on them…

Space temps right now…

tup

Thank you, @Oldjoints … for the Girls and the A/C’s! tup

I hope you’re ALL making it a great night, and making the next day even greater! tup

Add Edit: Turns out the above reservoir temps were directly influenced by the proximity of the probe in the tank, I forgot to mention. “I” ran the wire for it through the pump cord access hole. crazy ROFLMAO

Time for a tokie,
WHAB

7 Likes

Good morning WHAB, I have found that with my ghetto bubble cloner which is the same idea as yours just more ghetto, that domes are not necessary. My cloner sits in a room uncovered that has a gas fireplace and very low RH. My cuts stay green and perky with no special attention. I also dont use gels or nutes of any kind. Just tap water. Just throwing it out there. Sometimes less is more. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s my preferred math media too! Lol. Well any scrap wood laying around. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Glad you got the loft sorted a bit. And the roots are coming in. Yay! Keep up the good work buddy!

2 Likes

Quick update. They’re not looking good.

Now - I’m thinking that pump is introducing too much heat in to the reservoir. I got it down to 75F (I think it was 75F, maybe 74F - still not good enough). That is not good enough. I think I’m going to change out the new pump for the old pump. I never contemplated the heat it would put out. Not once, not for even a second!

They’re hanging on but it’s looking bad.

I’m going to run the other A/C unit up there until I can get the temps down. Then I have to figure out some way to enclose it. I never expected those temps up there right now.

I did do this last night…

Probably helped A LITTLE, but not enough over a longer period of time…

I’ve been right in the middle of installing the Rockwool.

I forgot I had to reinstall the Doran Darkroom Light Blocking Air Vent for passive ventilation.

That actually took a good bit of time, I had scrounge a ‘piece’ of lumber for it and cut it freehand with the Festool TS75.

Man, that thing cuts SWEET! The Festool Systainer was my ‘workbench’ winky

I took the Festool-ish Multi-Function Slab down so I could open the bags of Rockwool. There was no other way of getting that done. It’s amazing how much space just one opened package needs! And now I don’t have a proper work surface! ROFLMAO I did try and do things in the proper order of operations. That’s working out pretty good except for that hiccup.

Notice my expert jointing! Kreg Pocket Holes for the win (just on the leftg end I already put the Rockwool in the other stud bay and didn’t want to pull it out)! ROFLMAO

The first ceiling joist bay is full. Around that corner is half full…

While I have been very busy, many, many hours over many, many days helping my sister, IF they die, it is all my fault. Besides direct assistance, just being there takes time.

But, for instance. I figured out what she needed - no quick task. I helped her buy it. I had it sent here since she’s in a motel. It arrived this yesterday afternoon.

This is what remains of her keys and her fob…she was able to find those in the debris.

The key has to be “Cut” to a programming profile confused2. I was going to have that done and bring her to her car after I was done, or in the process of getting it done.

She decided to have her car towed to the dealership she bought the car from because she doesn’t have ANY of her documents, they were all lost in the fire. Her car is sitting at the dealership now.

She needs a Government ID, a Title and Registration to have a Locksmith cut the key. Her house burned down. She has none of that.

The dealership knows who she is, they sold her the car. They ‘should’ also be able to provide copies of some of her documents to be able to get duplicates of the ones she needs.

But, again, IF the Girls don’t make it, it is all my fault.

Gonna try and get the other A/C going up there

frown,
WHAB

4 Likes