WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Oh, I forgot this. My cut-list for the Under-Loft Ceiling Joist Bays…

Only 4 of the 8 joist bays were the same at each end. None were any measurement I would recognize as being “standard” facepalm Not 12 inch, not 16 inch…not even equal dimensions across the structure!

All 16 bats had to be cut along their length. frown

I’m left with this…

16 oddly side-trimmed partial Rockwool bats… frown

I don’t come close to understanding how that mess happened! frown

I should have gone with my first instinct, and that was to tear it down and build it back properly facepalm crazy

Edit Add: I just realized that when I go to build out the Loft I’ll need to do the same crazy Rockwool cuts on the rest of the ceiling joists, floor joists! Oh, joy! crazy ROFLMAO

I actually already bought some 2x4s that should finish up the South wall in the Loft.

unhappytdn,
WHAB

4 Likes

Next time I’m getting the Hydro system that installs itself!!! ROFLMAO

I didn’t get it done last night - I had to cook and clean - something else I’m going to look for soon…a 1924 Brick Schoolhouse that cooks and cleans for itself!

I got a late start today. Arose in horrible pain, again!

Then, I had to run to ‘town’. My fuel pump came in. At least that is what I thought would be my fuel pump.

The actuator arms are vastly different. New on the left, old on the right. That burned a couple of hours right there!

They look identical except for the actuator arms. The performance numbers are identical - 15gph. I even looked at possibly switching the one actuator arm with the other. The actuator arm on the new fuel pump looks to be epoxied in place, whereas the old one has snap rings on it and it looks like it could be easily removed.

I ‘may’ have to go that route…punch the new pin out of the actuator arm and install my old arm with its pin.

I was surprised to see that the new pump can be disassembled just like the old one can be, as IF it was rebuildable. But, I can’t find a rebuild kit for it.

After burning a few hours recuperating from the pain, then the hours wasted going to ‘town’, I finally returned to the Garden II Rebuild.

The center of each bucket is 22 inches off center. I ‘may’ have to tighten that space up a bit. I’ll do that once the Girls are settled in - IF necessary.

I found it incredibly difficult to accomplish the above, just measuring, cutting and clamping the system together.

I still have to run the air lines. I was going to run the air lines through the Netpots, as I did with the modified lids I did the last run. But, then I wouldn’t be able to just lift off the Netpot and move them. I have instead decided to drill a hole in the side of the bucket to run the air lines through.

I still have to run the system before putting the Girls in. I still have to make the nutrient solution and pH the Res. Oh, I have to rinse the Clay Pebbles - BUT, it won’t require nearly the quantity as it did with the 2 gallon buckets I used last run.

I’m contemplating trimming the roots up a bit, a good bit, actually. Two 5 gallon buckets stacked on top of one another are 30 inches tall. The roots were dragging the floor when I had them out the other day and the Cloning Machine II lid was resting atop those stacked buckets.

I don’t think I can cram 30+ inches of roots into the Netpots. I don’t think I want to.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions/recommendations? They’re all welcome, as always!

I’m going to try and get this done tonight (into the morning). I have not eaten anything all day…

I have an appointment in the “City” tomorrow. I have to get up pretty early.

I hope you’re ALL having a most melodious evening!

Make it a great day! tup

rockon,
WHAB

4 Likes

You can bet the farm they didn’t change the tooling…

I’ll bet if you can clear out the epoxy you should be able to move the snap rings over too.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Hey brother!

That’s the thing. There are no externally visible means of disassembly of that pin on the new fuel pump. It looks like their “cost savings” measure was to do away with any of the hardware that would be required for disassembly and reassembly of that actuator arm.

It looked like a straight pin that’s glued in place on both ends. Neither end of that pin even protrude from the body of the unit.

It’s my original fuel pump that has a snap ring on that pin. It was made to be rebuildable when things like that were typical! Not any more! winky

I can punch out the new pin and install my pin in it once I’m done. But, that is sure to void any warranty - IF there is one. I’m okay with not having the warranty.

Thinking of it right now, I need to measure the width of that section of the pump that the pins run through. IF they are the same width (length of pins) there shouldn’t be any problem.

Man, I’m testing the system and came back to my desk to research the air line I’m going to drill the buckets out for (1/4 O.D. I believe) and I heard a huge noise. I mean a extremely loud and continuous noise.

I ran to the new space and realized that wasn’t the noise.

Some crazy noisy storm just rolled in. ROFLMAO

Thank you for contributing to the discussion, my friend! I appreciate it!

beercheer and a tokie to you, good sir!,
WHAB

3 Likes

I’m ready. The system is not frown

6 Netpots worth of Clay Pebbles are rinsed. About 2-1/2 gallons if anyone is interested. That is 6 measured pours of clay pebbles.

New Air Stones installed, in the 6 buckets and 2 in the Res. According to the image below, it looks like the nutrient level will be right at the bottom of the netpots.

New 120V/240V 1000W Switchable Ballast in place.

Veg Timer is plugged in and ready to go, ballast is not plugged in yet.

Hook installed, chain hung and new 1000W Metal Halide bulb ready to go in place (many thanks to a growing friend that sent me a BUNCH of bulbs and assorted accoutrements).

Of course I’m Growing Vertical! winky

Controller Bucket set up, accessories plugged into Controller and that is plugged in too.

When I first tried to test the system, I had the controller bucket plugged in. Instead of waiting for it to cycle through, I plugged the Fill pump in independent of the system just to watch it run.

Well, that’s a 1 inch Fill line. It was rushing in to the control bucket like nobodies business! ROFLMAO But, somehow, water started coming out of the control bucket almost as quickly. I saw that it was shooting out the Drain line that returns to the Res that I had not even hooked up yet. It seems the Drain cycle came on on schedule at that very moment.

First spill.

That’s fine. I put a large towel back there to soak it up.

But, now, it’s more than just that minor spill I caused. The control bucket is leaking elsewhere. I can’t tell where it is coming from since that control bucket sits flat on the floor.

I put brand new 3/4 inch grommets (cheap insurance, I thought) in the control bucket so that’s not it (likely not it).

I installed 3/4 inch hose clamps on the 6 hoses. Not like the Safety Wire job I did last run winky …which did work pretty well. I did carefully lift that side where those lines exit the control bucket and I don’t feel any water coming from there.

I did use an oddball 90 degree elbow on the 6th outlet around the back corner in the picture because of how it exits the control bucket on what is now the back side.

I just put a couple of 2x4 blocks under the control bucket and with that maybe I can tell better where the leak is coming from. And, I increased the towel allotment by 1 winky. There are now 2 large towels back there.

I don’t have time to wait for it this morning. I have to get up and get to the “City” soon.

The only thing left to do is adding nutes and pH’ing those nutes, then just moving the Girls.

Try as I may, try as I might! winky

It looks like 04/11/2022 will be the day, hopefully!

Good morning!

Make it a great day! tup

A tokie then TRY and get some rest without the excruciating pain would be nice! winky

wavy,
WHAB

6 Likes

I drill the hole in the lid for the air hose to go in, instead of the side of the bucket. It ensures that if there is a power outage, the water can never reverse siphon.

3 Likes

Hello friend!

I had not considered that.

However, this was intended to be a setup so that I could swap the netpots out from the 2 gallon buckets to the 5 gallon buckets and I didn’t want to contend with unwieldy weighted down (2x4 air stones) air hose spaghetti under foot.

The holes I did drill in the buckets are as near to the top of the bucket as possible without interfering with the rim of the netpots.

With the air lines as close to the lid as is possible without actually being through the lid, but fully out of the nutrient bath, is there still a risk of reverse siphoning?

I am sincerely curious. I do appreciate your contribution to the discussion, my friend.

Thank you, @JoeCrowe! tup

rockon,
WHAB

2 Likes

If the pump is below the waterline then yes, if the power goes out or something and the airpump stops you can easily develop a siphon. A quick solution can be found in aquarium shops, an anti siphon valve. They work well and are very cheap.

3 Likes

That was a day. I spent about an hour with my sister. I set her up with the dehumidifier I replaced the last grow, the one with the bright blue light on it’s top. She didn’t fully comprehend what humidity in an RV not intended for full-time occupancy can do to an RV. I got her set up now. She does still have to switch it on! winky ROFLMAO

But, besides that, I spent at least 3 hours at the appointment, with the Dr. (that isn’t a Dr. I was told my Dr. retired about a month ago) and the RN. We had a wide ranging discussion - about 1-1/2 hour with the pre-appointment interview and about 1-1/2 hour with the LPN(?) “Dr.”.

I hate having to train new Drs.! winky

I noticed some pain in my lower left leg last night. I didn’t think anything of it then. When I took my Crower (crouching shower winky) this morning, I noticed my lower leg is really swollen. Just my leg beneath my knee and above my ankle.

I have an Ultrasound scheduled for next Monday.

I took a look at the Control Bucket and I feel some moisture on the bottom but can’t exactly pinpoint where it is coming from as I think the Reflectix is acting like a capillary system and moving the water as in a capillary system. I’m going to dry it off as best as I can and put some water in it then as see if I can tell where it is coming from.

But, I’m exhausted. I got a little more than 4 hours of rest last night/this morning. I had my alarm set for 9:30am. When I realized how quickly that time was approaching I reset my alarm for 10:00am.

I woke up at 9:26am ROFLMAO and, in pain, again. unhappytdn

I’m going to try and get a short nap in and get back at it.

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Wizard! It is my pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance! wavy

It is currently siting on the floor, yes…but, I do have the pieces and parts to suspend the air pump from the ceiling. I got all that to reduce noise transference but in my last run I never used it as leaning the air pump over on two of its four feet quieted it down - by happenstance.

I have everything I need to suspend it. Once I get the system going I will get that task completed.

I did noticed some noise/vibration transference last night when I was testing it and when I hooked up all of the new air stones to it and put them in a bucket of water for more than an hour, just to try and dislodge any remnant materials left over from the manufacturing processes.

I do thank you for the anti-siphon valve recommendation. IF for some reason I can’t suspend this one I will dig around for one.

Thank you, too, for your contribution to the discussion! It is appreciated!

WHAB

4 Likes

Yah suspending the pump will definitely work. Also, if there is any doubt, you can try to get a siphon going yourself by cutting the power to the air pumps, and see what happens.

2 Likes

It’s too late for a nap, no matter its brevity.

I’m going to trudge on as best I can.

Time for tea!!!

I am running those 2 large towels through the washer, not to wash them but to thoroughly spin the water out of them before I put them back to work on the next potential leak (although I did put them through the wash cycle with a tad of laundry soap). Speaking of leaks…

Oh, want to hear a 1st World Problem I experienced a couple of weeks ago?

It doesn’t really matter what you want, Imma tell it anyways! ROFLMAO

As I mentioned, I’ve been drinking hot tea regularly since I was sick with Pneumonia in December(?), the last time I was really sick.

I didn’t have a teapot. I had been just boiling water in a pot…prone to spillage, though.

So, I bought a Mr. Coffee Teapot. My first Espresso machine was a Mr. Coffee, a super cheap one - it made the best Espresso I had ever made.

But, this teapot leaked. A friggen Teapot that LEAKS!!! And not just a little bit…it leaked A LOT.

I returned it through Amazon’s return program. I didn’t even have to go to a UPS store. UPS picked it up here at the Schoolhouse.

The new teapot was advertised as having a really loud whistle and cool to the touch handle.

It had neither. I was barely audible and the handle was scorching hot!

Another Amazon/UPS return.

Another teapot. This one was advertised as very loud whistle and rapid cooling handle.

It, too, has a barely audible whistle. BUT, the handle does cool down very quickly - so, it has that going for it!

All of that happened between 10 days to 2 weeks.

Teapots that DON’T Whistle. Teapots that LEAK.

What the hell is going on in this world!

ROFLMAO

Tea is steeping. Gotta run! Got stuff to do! winky

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

I ‘may’ have figured it out.

Throughout this entire effort to get the Girls new home prepared I have pushed “on” the tapered solid rubber plugs that came with the control bucket. They worked fine that run.

I have more than a couple of times pushed them on to make sure they were seated.

Pushing those tapered solid rubber plugs “on” (without proper support) pushes those fittings “off” the bucket facepalm ROFLMAO

I tore into the Reflextic just in between each fitting. I dried it off everywhere I could reach with a paper towel. I poured in a gallon of water. I can’t really tell exactly where it is coming from. I felt around and the bottom did keep accumulating moisture but I’m not sure where it was coming from. I suspect those fittings. The unused fittings. (you can also see that oddball 90. - what I really suspected since last night/this morning)

This is when I thought I determined what ‘might’ be happening.

This shows the tapered solid rubber plugs in place on the inside of the control bucket…

The image above was after I pushed the fittings back in to the bucket instead of pushing them out of the bucket by pushing those confounded tapered solid rubber plugs IN…

bitchslap

ROFLMAO

It’s either that OR the bottom is cracked! ROFLMAO

It can’t be that, it’s practically new and well cared for - despite some glaringly obvious pour engineering decisions!

I think, from memory, the cycle should start at the top of the hour.

I better get back there, in case!

:crossed_fingers:

rockon,
WHAB

1 Like

I think I misremembered. I thought the cycle started at 12:00AM (0000hrs) last night/this AM. But, it didn’t start. It must have been 2AM when it cycled on me last night crazy.

I was just about to go back in my thread and find the schedule I used that run but I didn’t have time, I was gonna be urlate

On a positive note: the Control Bucket remembered where I left it, several months ago. It’s been unplugged this entire time. tup

or, it seems to on first light winky

Image above puts on public display ONE of the glaring engineering mistakes. Those plugs? They’re plugged in to their respective outlet - which ALL are marked on that surface that faces down (towards the floor). A person MUST get down on the floor to see into which outlet they have their cords plugged into! facepalm crazy

Air. Drain. Fill. Power. spy2|nullxnull

More tea!

rockon,
WHAB

1 Like

That wasn’t it. It was close. Very close.

It is the grommet one of those 3/4 inch fittings that those tapered solid rubber plugs are used on the other end of … those unused outlets.

A damn grommet, plenty of which I had. I presumed since they were never used, just sitting there that they’d hold up to that abuse! winky

Okay, gonna change them out, all of them…all of the previously unused ones.

I always told myself that IF they ever became a problem I’d try and find some bulkhead plugs. They never gave a hint of any trouble before last night. I will start that search. I’ll have to.

But, in the meantime I have patch it up the best I can.

I’ll test it with 5 gallons when I swap those grommets out. IF it passes that test I’ll fix up the nutes, pH it and bring the Girls over.

:crossed_fingers:

bitchslap,
WHAB

1 Like

That’s what it was. One of those unused outlets.

It’s hard to see in this picture but that center grommet is ovate. It’s never been put to work in its entire life.

They’re all changed out, just took a few minutes mad Kicks my own ass I knew better. I knew to have some on hand for when I knew I’d have to change out the grommets that had seen some work. I never expected this to happen.

Need something more permanent, though, for sure!

I put 3 gallons in it for the test. I didn’t find a leak. And, I was able to test the Drain pump and hose and fitting one last time.

While I had the system down, again…I took the time to apply some heat to the Drain hose those goes back to the Reservoir. I couldn’t get it to fully seat in the several times I tried to put it in place since yesterday.

I’m going to start mixing a balancing and I’m shooting for the 4AM feeding…if the Girls aren’t there then they won’t be far behind.

More Tea!!! winky

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

I used this place for bulk head fittings. At the time they had the best prices and they are good quality.
Just thought I would share.

https://www.aussieglobe.com/bulkheads.html

3 Likes

Hello @Hydro921wavy

Thank you for that! I do certainly appreciate it!

I will look at what they have.

There are a few considerations to this exact application. Those existing through-holes are extremely close to the bottom. Whatever I wind up with will have to have at least one shallow edge that will fit in that corner.

I will look at what they have, I promise.

I do thank you very much! tup

Regards,
WHAB

3 Likes

I got the system squared away, after one more bit of minor trouble. I was able to pH the Res…

…I was not able to get the nutes mixed or the Girls transplanted.

I decided I should probably babysit the system through at least one entire cycle - Fill and Drain, especially. It’s a good thing I did.

This ‘may’ sound familiar to a few of you good folk. winky

Fill went amazingly well. Those buckets are full in about a minute (I will time it one of these cycles).

I sat there the entire time waiting for it to complete the cycle.

The Drain light and the Draim pump came on after about staying on the Fill cycle for about 12 minutes (approx.)

I sat there and sat there and sat there waiting and waiting and waiting…patiently babysitting the system as I waited.

I could hear to water being pumped into the Res but the level didn’t seem to be going down.

It looked like this, about 2 inches of Feed line, was too long and it was siphoning back into the control bucket through the Feed line (with that pump off) as fast as the Drain pump was pumping it back into the Res.

This first picture is right after I lifted that open end of the Feed line out of the water and it started flowing as it should have been.

I sat there nearly 25 minutes waiting on the system to empty! crazy ROFLMAO

That should do the trick!

That never happened the last time I ran the system. The only difference?

The Res was about where it is now but, the Control Bucket and the 5 gallon buckets were up in the loft.

And, before I discovered this siphoning problem I decided to get the air pump off the floor and above where the air line enters the buckets. Thank you to all who filled me in! I really appreciate it!

It was crazy noisy, it was just temporary (so I could at least try to get some rest without worrying about that potentiality and before addressing it in a more permanent manner)…I again tipped it on to two legs and it pretty much silenced it. There was minor noise/vibration transference. Really weird phenomena, especially since it’s sitting on a Barrel Drum!!! winky

I had all my formulas ready. I had the “new” weighing system ready to go. Two matching transfer containers and the powered paint mixer!

I tried!

But, I have to try and get ‘some’ rest - it’s been a long day! winky About a 20 hour day, by rough math. winky

I’m going to babysit it through one more cycle to ensure it is all really working when it is supposed to be working and in the correct order!

Then, it’s moving day!

Oh, I don’t know how I did it but, as I was rushing around I somehow allow a 8 foot long piece of 2 inch PVC pipe leaning against the wall right next to the entrance from the vestibule to fall on its own, without any input from me - it’s been sitting right there for months without incident.

It came down on the wall switch for the overhead lights in here. The lights went out and I can’t get them to turn back on. I fiddle with the switch, seeing IF I moved in any particular way IF it were make a connection inside the switch housing. That didn’t make a difference. I checked the circuit breaker a couple of times. That didn’t make a difference.

Somehow the light switch being mechanically switched off by the fall of a piece of PCV pipe broke the lights. It just hit the switch in a movement like a hand would perform just with a bit more force behind it winky and it broke something, I think something inside the switch itself.

I’m going to turn that circuit breaker off.

I’m going to unplug the Hydro system.

I don’t need another or ‘more’ unusual circumstances to occur while I’m hopefully dead to the world, at least for a little while!

Oh, WHAB’s Laundry Is Open For Business Today! Oh joy!

I have something in the works to ameliorate that situation! winky

Good morning!

Make it a great day - ALL! tup

rockon,
WHAB

7 Likes

Another hiccup.

I rested well. My back wasn’t killing me when I arose woohoo

However, the 6 or so hours I’ve been working on the system is really hurting my back. All of this work has been on or near the floor - a favorite place of mine! frown winky

I ran and babysat the system through its cycle again when I got to it today. It ran great!

But, there are little bits of something in the buckets and now the Reservoir.

And, but, more concerning (I think), there was a sheen on the water in the buckets but not in the Res. A sheen like what petroleum products look like after a ran, or water spayed on the ground - like in a oil spill or accumulated oil under a car…

I flushed the system (it is refilling right now). I emptied it. I refilled it with scalding water, even though I’m pretty sure the bits I’m seeing are very small pieces of the Air Stones losing bits of their material. They sink to the bottom so I know they’re not “Floaters”.

Break—

While I was composing the above I overfilled the Reservoir!

I should have put that Semco Membrane down! ROFLMAO

All cleaned up!

Res is pH’d. 5.8.

Going to mix nutes now. I’ve rinsed the clay pebbles a few times today. I let them sit in a water bath for a couple of hours today.

Then I’ll go up and get the Girls one at a time. Most of them are doing very well the last time I saw them - last night winky Two are doing less well.

Break—

While

Break—

Just spent about half an hour on the phone with my electrician. He’s expected to be here tomorrow evening. Gonna fix the dimmer switch I broke last night. And, I asked him to ‘think’ (roll it around in his melon as I perpetually engage in! ROFLMAO ) about adding a couple of circuits in the Under-Loft…to include 3 or 4 dedicated outlets and at least one 220V outlet.

The “While” comment was regarding waiting on images to become available! frown

Those images are still unavailable! frown That is stinking crazy. It looks like they did an update in the background. It has worked great since the change until today!

Nutes are mixed and in the Res.

Going for the Girls.

Use your imagination in lieu of actual pictures! ROFLMAO

See ya in a bit! :crossed_fingers:

cantlook winky ,
WHAB

5 Likes