What Blueberry Smell like

That’s the comment I like the most.

I will give a try again this summer. We have also few blueberries plants, but never noticed any specific aroma after collecting them. The acidity this for sure and some fresh crispy taste. But no smell.

I repeat if we were talking about strawberry I would agree, but for blueberries I have actually a complotist idea everyday more:

It is probably me not being able anymore to test?

1 Like

Not just fresh…wild! They definitely have a better smell.

4 Likes

I read at one point that the esthers from bb’s are short lived which maybe the reason some people don’t get em. May also be varietal/soil dependent.

1 Like

Howdy @Rhizome, I believe strawberries are said to have hundreds of volatile compounds while blueberries have a few dozen. That said, for something to be pungent and smelling strong it doesn’t necessarily need many contributing volatiles, they merely shape it’s impact on our olfactory system. The studies I’ve read suggest wild blueberries provide more of the quintessential blueberry smell compared to the more modern commercially available blueberries. This could be for many reasons including breeding for fruit size at the cost of secondary metabolites or harvesting prematurely for market. Even in strawberries the maximum strawberry scents are said to come from fully red ripe fruits compared to the ones picked earlier. When I smash up some blueberries in my hand I get a range of smells from green and sharp to what I would call the quintessential blueberry smell, albeit quite faint as my selection is of the more modern commercially available berries. I’d imagine wild types to have more concentrated scents of a similar profile. The research papers mentioned esters, ketones, alcohols, terpenes, and more all being responsible for lending attributes to the unique scent of blueberries.

Blueberry types of cannabis are often floral and earthy, sometimes smelling only faintly, some are more pungent and dank smelling, others are straight up candy. There’s a range from vanilla to chocolate, cherry, tobacco, cedar and wood. Juicy fruit gum too. Blueberry muffins fresh out of the oven I think is where blueberry jam meets hints of vanilla. Blueberry types are definitely some of my favorites so I’m a bit bias. Many blessings and much love

4 Likes

Blueberries do smell. I dehydrate them regularly. You have to poke them with a needle. Can’t smell through the skin.

Bad batches smell like soil/rocks and make the house smell like dirt. Not sure why but some batches of blueberry smell just as much like or more like dirt and minerals as something edible, and bland, weak blueberry flavor. Same thing happens to some weed growers. “earthy terps” don’t sell in the fruit market however. Those growers know what they did wrong surely.

Sour blueberry smell can taste like it smells, or taste sweet like blueberry muffin. There’s also blue raspberry flavor in weed.

The blueberry smells are probably butane derived. Of course Cannabis labs do not test for that and half the clowns growing would claim it smells like ethyl acetate. That’s the other end from the “earthy terps”. The “nute terps”.

1 Like

Ok flash forward
Bosses trees are putting out now big time
If you could smell the inside of this bag
You would know what real fresh blueberry
Smells like.
Fucking delicious

3 Likes