What deficiency is this?

Bat guano needs to be added at the beginning of grow or at transplanting to it’s final space because it takes a long time to release it’s nutrients into the soil, so it will do nothing but drain the wallet at this point.

Buckets like that are indeed not really great plant containers. They allow light to reach the roots, which they don’t like.

I don’t exactly think it’s a K deficiency in the soil, but more the plant’s inability to take it up. Either way, if you flush with a mild nutrient solution to flush out excess salts, you won’t harm the plant if it does turn out to be a K deficiency. Other way around, if it’s a salt issue and you keep feeding it extra K through the same SIP process, you are further concentrating the salts in the medium and your problem will keep increasing regardless of extra K being fed.

So whatever your chosen path, the results will show what it was by the accompanying plant response.

:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Ok that pic has me shook. I know I’m asking for trouble bringing em into the tent from outside. I’ve given the same advice before. Guess I was rolling the dice. Nothing else is growing inside for summer. I have a horticultural ozone generator I plan to blast the grow space with. I am confused by you and others describing a salt build up in the SIPs. So far all inputs have been only dr earth organic 4-6-3 and a little 1-1-1 watered in.

2 Likes

These are my 1st autos. I don’t have the cajones to repot at this point. They are close to 4 foot and too woody to supercrop even. I know you’re right about organic ferts having to cook still but I think the plan is to top dress with Dr earth flower formula and then also make a tea from that and feed as well. I believe I have k issues and hopefully bloom food helps.

1 Like

I cheaped out on the buckets. Honestly I think I like these sip pots. Over/under watering is non existant. I shoulda spent more on the black buckets that are food grade.

1 Like

Many give advice without checking what growing method is used…
You don’t need to think about salts.
And I’ve moved a plant indoor and outdoors a bunch of times without issue.
I have some thrips going on indoor right now and gently squash any I see on the leaves, but plants grown the organic way have more robust immunesystems anyway so they don’t suffer from it as much or at all.
With synthetic nutes plants are much more likely to get decimated by insects so those growers are much more worried about it.
I’ve had aphids and thrips and my plants finished flowering without issue.

2 Likes

There you go. That’ll fix it.
I just uppotted a 5 foot bush the other day, but I’m pretty strong for an old fart😁.

I’d say it depends where you live. We don’t have russet or broad mite problems in the Northeast. At least I haven’t seen them in 32 years of outdoor and some indoor growing, and these last 4 years outdoor/ indoor growing, like you are doing.
The problem with bugs here arises in the fall, when my plants have to stay inside permanently, after doing the indoor outdoor thing during summer. Then I’ll have issues with aphids or mites, or both, all winter and spring.
Broad/ Russet mites are a mofo out west. Little friggin terminator bugs. Ive dealt with russet mites and you DO NOT want them. I fought those off for 3 or 4 weeks before exhaustion wore me out.
If you live out there, you better follow @Wizzlez good advice,( and super cool photo) but if you are in a wetter area East of the Mississippi, as long as you continue the in/ out thing, I think you’ll be fine. The predators outdoors will pick off any bugs for you. I often have ladybugs hitch a ride in for the night. Any plant mite has a real tough time outside in the Northeast, and in 32 years outdoors, I never had an issue. Never even had one leaf damaged by them. So it’s a location thing.
You’ll have to clean your tent before your next indoor run or anything you’ve brought in could become an infestation.

2 Likes

Growing flowers and plants outdoors that attract lady bugs and other beneficial insects is a good idea too, even indoors.

4 Likes

It’s really easy, but I get it. Try it after harvest then, so you can see how easy it is. In a bucket I used to grab the plant stalk with the bucket upside down. It slides right out.

I usually see it’s effects within 7- 10 days or so, but maybe its all the rain we get here. A massive burst of new flowers is seen in that timeframe. I Just added some about that long ago and I see the effects now. A bubbled tea with guano is a better option for an auto though. Good point.

2 Likes

Bugs :worried: IMO

But not 100% sure

This mite talk is creeping me out; after a couple years in HI when I get back to the mainland it’s gonna be a huge shift. [shivers]

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I’m in Europe. I had never heard of Russet mites, and when I learned about them it read they’ve been around worldwide since the 70’s but their presence has been few and far between. Their booming periods almost always happen in area’s that have a lot of grows per area or large swatchs of cannabis land, like in India where IIRC they were first described around the 60’s. Anyway, when I read about them, I got them about a month later. But when I realized I had them, I came to thinking and after a long battle with them that I eventually won (though not before it cost me 2 rounds and almost completely shutting down) I realized that the moment I was reading about them first time, I probably already had them 2 weeks.

They say if a friend of yours tells you he has russet mites, you have russet mites.

I was growing indoors and my neighbor outdoors, and I knew there were some plantations indoors on several locations in my area. I switched my plants outdoors on sunny days. That’s what got me is my best guess.

They are one not to underestimate enemy that you never want to cross paths with.

I was so amazingly grateful to again be able to grow, but at the same time the paranoia for them to show up again was nervewrecking for the first 3 months after.

They are not known to frequent my area. Having had my battle with them, I will never take that win or the lessons learn for granted.

Interestingly enough, during the months I battled them, I also encountered a broad mite on a seedling. I am sure it was a broad mite and not a russet mite, as next to it was an egg and both the legs and the egg shape matched broad mites, not russet. The russet mites are even harder to see than the broad mites and most of what you do is futile.

Every method everyone posted seemed to fail one after the other.

I eventually overcame them by running an industrial space heater inside my small cabinet grow and completely toasting the plants and the space inside for hours (IIRC I had the industrial heater set to about 80°C) followed by a rigorous cleaning, and starting again in a separate cabin that had had the same treatment earlier. That’s after several sulphur fumigations, flying skull applications, flying skull and yucca foam dips, 60°C water dips and hot showers, bleach applications, ozone treatments, ozone and UV-C chamber treatments, NOTHING. They still came back no matter what.

Well until I literally made their life a living hell until they died. But I’m pretty sure the plants gave up way before they did.

That was the only time during my entire growing years that growing has ever made me cry in a bad way. I cried a few times more in relation to growing in a good way too though.

It even made me stay away from the other folks that grow that I otherwise regularly visited in those days, out of fear of spreading this shite to others. And rightfully so, these bastards travel around on clothing and even on gusts of wind.

That’s actually their mode of dispersal. When they have completely depleted the plant and maximized their population on one plant, they all collectively crawl to the top where they release themselves on the wind and then they glide over to the next plant, ready to start the cycle all over again; they can travel miles and miles like this.

I had nightmares of them, literally. Even after they were gone I’d have nightmares of them from time to time. Nowadays I just get a bit anxious thinking about it too much like now. That’s my cue. I gotta read something different :grimacing:

3 Likes

That’s basically the rise and downfall of a SIP.

Having a system that allows you to not waste water is attractive to us, but it’s not entirely attractive to the plant.

The thing about run-off is that it’s not entirely waste. It’s waste if you have run-off every time, technically, but it also serves to drain what is no longer needed for the plant. I fully intend on going SIP, making the provisions for it right now, but I also fully intend to water them until run-off every 4 to 5 weeks, because the run-off has a service to fulfill to the plant.

The run-off from those times will be recovered and used in the garden outdoors or for my outdoor forest grown plants. Those only get water and the occasional feeding instead of the heavier fed indoor plants and if there are any salt issues they are highly unlikely to pose any issues outdoors where the rain will leach them further out anyway.

1 Like

I was thinking the same when I read him giving her the ol in and out, and back in. True horrorshow. And reminds me of my mite infestation that wiped out some old and amazing genetics that are probably gone for me. I could keep them at bay with some decent home made sprays, but eventually bought a bio spray that worked great. Predatory mites didnt do much inside, they flourished outside though. In the end I had to kill what was left of my clones, replaced some equipment that couldnt be cleaned properly, just bleached everything over and over for a a few months and started over.
Some sprays work great if you can cover everything with them and at the right intervals

2 Likes

The thing is, some sprays work great, for some.

They seem to be able to get resistant to pretty much anything and everything somehow, or they are able to come back from inside the plant.

Oh yeah, funny story, when you treat them, they creep further into plant crevices, and I’ve even heard say they transgress into tissues and out again. I’m not sure what to think of that other than what the actual fuck.

Finding them can be hard as fuck as well even with a microscope.

I think it’s been something like 3 years, and I can laugh about it now, albeit a bit nervously.

I think it was 3 years, but I’m pretty sure the pandemic hadn’t hit here yet. I think if there’s one thing we as a community can learn from the pandemic, it’s that contact tracing can and should be used for hemp russet mite prevention :rofl:

:hugs: @I.am.human I know the feels man.

Another funny one: If you think buying seeds is an expensive part of the hobby, /enter hemp russet mite/

3 Likes

Absolutely best practice to identify the species. I changed my ratios on some and the essential oils as well to alternate. I used whats said to be similar formulas as many commercial products that charge an arm and a nug(have a spreadsheet on another machine). Mostly ipa, h2o2, soaps, oils, and water.
Until I bought the bio spray which is basically dead bacteria from a certain bug’s stomach that kills just about every insect I’ve had an issue with in/outside. It’s same day harvest safe and cannabis tested but I still wouldnt want to spray it on buds past a few weeks. It smells fucking fierce too lol!

1 Like

Oh, the essential oils! I almost forgot about those! Man did I go through bottles!

1 Like

:sweat_smile: never did anything for me

:evergreen_tree:

Didn’t keep me from spraying it :man_shrugging:

Russet mite desperation knows few boundaries…

1 Like