What do you do with hermed seeds?

We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by.

4 Likes

I feed my bubble hash waste to the chickens. They love it.

5 Likes

Burn some more!

But seriously there’s enough risk in farming without inviting it in through the door. Chuck ‘em

4 Likes

Pppfffttt. :triumph:

Use them to sprout old ancient beans.Soak herm beans 24 hours till they pop tails and strain out beans keep water to toss old beans in.That missing enzyme old beans need is right there in that water now

15 Likes

Oh that’s a neat trick!

4 Likes

I usually hang on to them if I like the mother plant.

The few I have planted and grown out have been fire, showing no signs of instability or hermaphroditism.

7 Likes

an old aquantence used to love growing out hermies as he continued his seeds on and on and didnt mind at all getting seeds out of the buds before a smoke…Seemed like a ok idea if seeds are hard to come by like at some stages in Australia they were with extreme customs checks.

However i had a collection of goodies so i wouldnt ever grow out hermies deliberately with decent collection i have of quality…But Magu and Sbeanonnamellow make good points…pollen can spread miles away so if you grow em out you may ruin someone elses crop…

3 Likes

or make hash…dry sift i would recommend edit- i mean grow out the hermies into buds not use seeds for hash but seeded buds for has…just to prevent confusion.

1 Like

Really??? Now this is some interesting info right here!!

Completely random, but related question…got a specific seed cracker you recommend, by chance? I have a fat sack of 2005 Vortex f2 seeds I’ve been trying to germinate for almost 10 years.

3 Likes

Use your teeth. You can control the pressure easily. :grin::rainbow:

1 Like

So I popped some 10+;year old beans recently
24hr soak in 1% hydrogen peroxide solution
24hr soak in molasses solution

Very important rinse seeds after hydrogen peroxide bath

Then in to rock wool

Really old beans i have a pill bottle lined with sand paper i toss them in and cap it off and shake it for a couple min.Seeds crackers can be a tad bit inhospitable for really old beans and can crush the dried out cotyledon and ruin the bean.with really old beans you want low and slow for that bean to hydrate.Ive been having good luck just soaking the paper towel with the fresh bean soak water and placing sandpapered beans in and letting them slowly hydrate in a plastic bag in a dry dark warm place .These beans will slowly rebuild them selves

3 Likes

I tried this with some 30 year old beans and it didn’t work for me. You have more details?

3 Likes

Out of 40 beans i got 3 to pop and one died the next day.Old seeds are a crapshoot especially if you dont know how they were stored or who had them in what.Mine came from a coffee can that was in someones garage in texas that sat there since 1995 or 1998.Popping them into moist EWC also helps

3 Likes

Might be a batch of tough seeds too.All the Plato Plomos i was given none of them popped ever.I heard everyone had a hard time in the other forums trying to pop those noone could get them to pop.Sucks because that was from a batch of weed that was pre chappo before the mexican grass got polluted

4 Likes

This gives me hope!!! Mine aren’t much better.

4 Likes

What ever you do dont toss them if they didnt pop in the papertowel right away wait a couple days to a week or two.Sometimes they pop in dirt days later and it will be when you least expect it

5 Likes

Grow them out. Most of the strains that are well known are grown from a bag seed. Prime example is c99. Its a legendary strain these days

3 Likes

Send some to me. I am not afraid. Something Legendary may sleep within those puppies. you might pay 100’s for seeds from top breeders that are known to be herm prone, why not roll the dice if it fire, i mean your gonna prob be watching like a hawk anyway lol.

3 Likes