What grinders are we all using, if any

I have a 4 piece I like that the bud falls down on to a very tight screen and under that is the last compartment that can catch Kief the lid can also serve as a temporary ash tray also cause it’s parabolic shape. Imo opinion if ya want more trichs to stay on your weed I think finger breaking it down preserves the trichs better just an extra step if using a grinder if ya want to place your kief back into your bowl or J.

7 Likes

I learned this “trick” when I moved to Calgary in '98… basically smoked hashish from the early 80’s up until then… and haven’t looked back…

Formed a nice callous on two fingers from repeated use lol…

Tried a few friends’ grinders, but scissors always seems to work for me too…

I don’t mind, as the scissors always give back too…

Peace
DaFozz

12 Likes

I find I use scissors more often as they’re what’s handy, however consider this…

With scissors, at least for me, I’m more apt to be left with a small rogue sharp stem that will poke through my paper while rolling. In a grinder the stems get chewed up and made soft so that doesnt really happen.

For pipes I like to break it up with my finger but for bongs I like to use the electric grinder and get it nice and fine.

9 Likes
  • … .- - .----. … / -.-. — --- .-… / – -.-- / …- -. -.-. .-… . .----. … / -.-. .- .-… .-… / … … --. -. / … … / …- . …-- / – .— --. .-.-.- / … . .----. … / .- / -… … -.-. -.- … . .- -… / - … — …- --. … .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

dit dit dit dit, dit da, /dit dit dit dit, dit da, … dit dah dit dit, da da da, dit dit dit da dit/ dit dit dit di, dit da, da da, dit dah dit, dit da, da dit dit, dit dit, da da da 73 to you and yours! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Very similar to what my Uncle has…lol

Peace
DaFozz

4 Likes

Awesome! Yah, been hamming it up since I was about 13,… I talk around the world everyday. No wires, 1500 watts of pure power! . haha Take care buddy :slight_smile:

13 Likes

He pretty much does the same thing… Man is in his mid-80s but is an electronics whiz… I would ask him to build me an LED grow light from scratch, but if he knew what it was for he would put the kibosh on it…lol

He tried to get me interested in it before, about the same age really, but it never stuck with me…

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

I take a similar approach to you when using scissors, and am actually thinking that using an electric coffee grinder, or manual grinder might be a better option when bustin’ buds… only because I know that what I am growing is /has been seedless, and when I was purchasing, busting up seeded bud and smoking it really wasn’t the greatest sometimes… only takes a few little pieces of shell to ruin the taste, imo…

Might saves me from a bit of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome too in the future…lol

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

Or start a fire, but that’s a story for another day haha

4 Likes

the santa cruz shredder.
this grinder solves most of the design flaws that people have brought up. it’s made with surgical grade metal, the color is anodized so there is no paint, and the unique jack shaped pegs gently break up the buds and keep the material loose and fluffy, with less resistance than a blade which squishes the bud before it cuts through.

I still enjoy breaking my buds up by hand for bongs and pipes, so I don’t use the shredder very much unless I’m rolling joints or smoking dispensary bud. the shredder works perfectly, but for really good bud carefully breaking up the nugs down by hand is still the best method for keeping all the trichomes intact.

16 Likes

Y’all don’t just pack buds into pipes? Old friend taught me if it’s grown, flushed, & cured properly ya grab a piece of bud about the right size, lightly break it up, like 2-3 pieces as you’re packing the bowl and fire it up. Haven’t looked back since then.

I do like the fiskars for j’s tho.

6 Likes

I like to pack whole buds. Most of the landraces and heirlooms I grow are loose enough that it burns and draws perfectly when I pack the buds whole without breaking them up. Some of my hybrids and polyhybrids are so dense that it wouldn’t draw without breaking it up into small pieces.

5 Likes

That sir is a very nice looking grinder! I keep seeing similar designs to that like the vivosun grinder but they all cost about £30-£40 and I think yeh the grinders important but I’m a cheapskate :rofl:

4 Likes

fortunately I was able to get this pretty cheap buying it factory direct when I lived in santa cruz. that was a while ago, I think the company has grown a lot since then.
edit-
Now they make one for grinding bud for pre-rolls on a commercial scale, it has a giant wheel like a submarine door.
https://www.facebook.com/santacruzshredder/videos/1254314081252616/

4 Likes

I like these ok, I have 4 colors to match the time of day or mood, morning, day, night, zombie

They are sold under a few names at least.

10 Likes

I’m looking for a good 3-piece. Everyone seems to sell 4-piecers exclusively these days, but I like keeping the kif in the mix, instead of collecting it later. Anyone got any recommendations?

4 Likes

@hush Just buy a nice 4 piece and dont use the screen section. That’s probably why you dont see 3 piece grinders.

12 Likes

Can’t you just leave the screen out and screw the bottom on the other piece to make it a 3 piece?

Oops looks like @TrevorLahey just beat me to the buzzer!

7 Likes

Well I think the reason they’re made as 4 tier is purely the section layout. Some grinders store the weed in the same place it gets ground up vs a 4 tier that has 2 catchment screens when I think most mesh screens aren’t micron sized or at least not the cheap ones.

3 Likes