What strains are being grown across different Mexican States?

+1 the destruction of these south american landrace genetics is really heartbreaking.

2 Likes

I’m sure it was some cross, bur you just can’t know for sure.
You never really know what you are getting from the black market.
I did see some seed info on the web from Green Mountain Seeds but not familiar with them. :peace_symbol:

I asked for local Sativa, and do believe i had the pleasure of trying Talamanca landrace. Delicious taste. Not too strong, but a nice long buzz, and zero body effect or comedown. Looked a lot like other landrace sativa buds I’ve had. Fluffy, see through…but no way of knowing for sure if it was pure.

3 Likes

stay away from mexican brickweed man, that stuff is spiked to give a strong effect but its not the thc giving you that effect. Oaxacan on the other side, when getting true oxacan is very nice, but as someone said above, cartel farms are not dealing with landraces.

3 Likes

Yup they wouldn’t waste time for the long wait of the flower of those landraces.They wanted that weight fast quick and cheap to slam it into bricks to get that shit packed into those gas tanks.Some of the 90s brick weed had some batches that the herb in the middle was still a bit moist and you could find a bud or two here and there that was damn near seedless.Then again some had toy cars and and match box cars cigarette butts and roaches sometimes.They wanted that weight

2 Likes

Something to understand about Mexico and the growing scene there is it is/was comprised of thousands of different families involved in growing. Just like in the US.

The US government puts all sorts of Drug and Organized Crime threat assessments online for free. Anyone can look up US government intel that tracks trends in the drug trade by year. They estimate the hectares under cultivation based off informants and the use of satellite imagery, estimate how many families are involved, etc. They can estimate how much is grown from season to season and by how many people. It paints a pretty complicated picture of many different independently operating groups who have been growing weed with various amounts of skill and success for generations. It is a very secretive industry, and these people are not in contact with each other.

I was always baffled why more people were not interested in the cannabis gene pool of one of the largest marijuana producing countries in the world. One of the things that always attracted me to Mexican bagseed of an older time was that they were forgotten and lost strains from the “golden” era. Hundreds of different heirloom and commercial strains were being hybridized with each other. Not just Mexican strains, but strains from all over Central and South America and other imported foreign strains. They had their own unique gene pool that they draw from, and they sent in seeded tons for decades. Hardly anyone was interested though. The Dutch gene pool is way more potent, but also much narrower and geared towards indoor growing.

5 Likes

I grew some seeds I got from brick weed, and got everything from tall, lanky sativa expressions to indica, to even autoflowers. Sadly, a lot of growers in Mexico have begun using different genetics. I don’t hold that against them, but I hope somebody down there is preserving the original landraces.

3 Likes

I got a bag the size of half a ping pong ball full of seeds I scored in Zacatecas, Mx in 2020. I’ll be growing them out soon! This is what some of the pot looked like. I was shocked to see it came pre packaged in these bags

13 Likes

That looks great! If you decide to make more seeds please let me know. I’ll happily buy some from you. What part of Zacatecas did you score this from? My family lives in the northern part but unfortunately they are all anti “drugs”.

5 Likes

Skunky terpenes are another dead give-away for impure genetics. A huge difference between old-school landraces and modern hybrids is the smell. Most of the landrace bud I got had a minty, herbal smell.
Always having to be discreet (this was a few years ago, back when it was still very illegal), I was not very fond of really strong smelling weed.

1 Like

This was near Tabasco, Zacatecas.

1 Like

It realy depends on the landrace, I’ve had sativas that smell like pine, body odor, earthy spice, and straight burnt tires. I have some Pakistani chitral kush going atm and they have a strong skunky dank smell coming off them and there not even in flower yet.

3 Likes

Sorry to overgeneralize. What I meant was there is (as far as I’ve seen) a greater tendency toward skunky terps in hybrids with a high indica %. Most of the indoor stuff I got in Alaska was so pungent you could smell it on the other side of the room.
The landraces I started smoking all those years ago had a very mild smell. The same is true of brick weed I’ve had today vs. the dispensary weed that sometimes makes its way down here.

2 Likes

Are you seriously telling me there was brickweed that had a kid’s toy inside?

:joy:

These were the seeds I got in Zacatecas few of them went down for a swim the other night.

8 Likes

Yes 100% like little toy cars along with cigarette butts roaches from spliffs ,dirt.

3 Likes

They look like they could be sativa. What do you think? Is there Indica in high? Hard to tell how dense the bud is from a picture. I see some foxtailing…

Cool. A toy in every box.

1 Like

Man to be honest I didn’t get to smoke any of it. That sounds as a picture my cousin sent to me. The seeds are from the same cousin

1 Like

Boy oh boy do these guys Veg slowly.The little wierd ones leaves are still trying.

4 Likes