Today's Mexican brick weed

Are the seeds from today’s Mexican brick weed in Mexico worth growing out…Are they landrace? The reason I’m asking is because my grower buddy is in Mexico right now and he said he smoked some brick weed and it was crap…I told him that its crap because it probably wasn’t grown right and the seeds might be worth bringing back home to Chicago…i told him to bring some seeds back anyways…what are your guys opinions?

12 Likes

By today’s standard anything Mexican I used to smoke in the 70’s and early 80’s would be considered crap. But when I grew out bagseed back then we got some really killer sinsemilla out of it… some skunk ,some pine. I’d sure be interested to see some grown out today.

12 Likes

@TheShowMeHomie did you grow out some Mexican brick weed seeds a while back?

1 Like

Honestly when Reggie was big back in the 2010, the Christmas buds were gold. That was Mexican brick weed. Had awesome pine smells. I’ve seen good dense nuts, but I’m also in Tucson, next to the border. Kyp (Know your personnel). People know what they can get away with given the circumstances of the one wanting to purchase. KYP! I have buddies go to Mexico all the time smoking the same as they would here in the states.

2 Likes

I think modern grow standards would net something much better than you had. Good chance for hermies possibly but I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be amazed at what grew from what it came from.

This is what I figured…all I need is 25-50 seeds from that brick weed…from there I know I can find a true female & a male than I’ll go from there…

7 Likes

Back in the 80s there was junk mexican brick weed, and exceptional batches that had a better high, better smell, a certain spiciness to them.

I personally probably would not spend the time on one a buddy said the smoke was bunk but instead would try to find a nice batch. I think that would increase your chances of finding something nice when you grow them.

5 Likes

Again, we have strains such as AK which genetics are coming from Columbia and Mexico. There are multiple genetics derived from origins such as. Don’t let a “brick-weed” reputation allow you to believe Mexican weed is shitty. because of what the actual intent behind that particular cannabis (“brick-weed”) is solely for quantity purposes to make a profit margin by you know who. Brick seed will not be a waste of time in my opinion. It’s been seen that the seasons have a huge impact, that brick-weed is now Christmas buds. That “brick-weed” had a journey. The soil in Mexico is rich. The Mexican weed is super earthy. I’m looking forward to see you grow this. Something that hasn’t been genetically modified.

3 Likes

I’ve grown a few damn nice plants from shitty looking bags way back when. I’d grow a few if I had em

4 Likes

Get some seeds do no harm to grow them out

1 Like

Seems like a worthy effort. Last brick seed I grew out was pretty piney and lanky.
That was back in about 2001
It should do good under ideal conditions but may stretch out, think about tying down if needed. You might find something nostalgic .Good luck.

2 Likes

i have a pack of about 20 big seeds from Mexican brick i got in 2010 or so. (also from Chicago) that was actually decent compared to other brick, it looked more stomped on than compressed into brick. it was decent enough to keep the seeds.

16 Likes

The best stuff came from the sinaloa

2 Likes

It’s all hybrids now, sometimes entirely Dutch genetics, and it’s been that way for a long time.

They probably save a lot of seeds between years, as local farmers ain’t ordering from Europe to plant whole fields. To a degree there is likely some admixture between the old varieties and the new, but as a farmer growing 16 week Acapulco Gold makes so much less sense than getting 2 crops in the same timeframe of arguably higher quality bud.

They’re not dumb, they know full well their customers want better quality weed and they want to get paid more per kilo and grow more of them. Some of the brick stateside is cultivated in the US in remote areas by the cartels and I’m assuming they have the same techniques and genetics available to US farmers.

Mexico city is huge…I bet in the bigger towns indoor hydro is widely available.

Haven’t seen brick in years but a lot of people are still smoking it. Older crowd, mostly. Last encounter was probably 2010 or so…and it looked like what we’d have called “mids” prior. Mostly green, seedy but not terrible. Better than stringy brown…which wasn’t that bad. It did get you high lol.

5 Likes

I know my buddy, he’s probably smoking other brick weed and will bring back the seeds from the best batch of brick weed.

4 Likes

I grew bag seed from the “Mexican Brown Frown” brick weed, 10 and 20 years ago (shit I’m getting old). I will say this… The weed that the seed came in was ok. avg, nothing to brag about but did work. The weed grown FROM those seeds was easily WAY better and did OK for me. Mostly sativas, but having been cared for, males removed, not being bricked for transport, etc made the product of those seeds much better than the weed they came in. I’d say give it a go!

3 Likes

Brick weed are grown poorly and I betcha if it had some seeds from a brick weed and grew it out to its potential it will be kick ass weed…

3 Likes

Mexican import bagseed was all I could get my hands on in 1988 and until 1990. Some of it was mediocre grown indoors, but it was gold in comparison with the starting bag of dirtweed.

Sadly there’s not a lot you can do with poor quality genetics unless you have a great deal of time to sort out the rope from the dope and don’t mind ending up with nothing more than just rope. With that said if it was really good brick weed, the plants from the bagseed can be much better when it’s not processed into bricks.

Don’t forget about the high risk of hermaphrodites. That’s a really common thing with the Mexican import grown in mass. Besides Thai, the only other type that I have seen plants that were half male on one side and half female on the other side was Mex brick seed.

As mentioned above, everything was pretty much hybridized by the early 90s at the cartels orders. But there’s still more garbage than good within the typical Mex brick thirty years later and I wouldn’t bother unless it’s something special from the start and one does not mind the Herm probability.

3 Likes

I grew some mexi-brick bagseed back in the late 80’s early 90’s that grew short stocky dark green plants that tasted like Vicks Mentholatum. The called it Mentholatum, people accused me of putting shit on my weed because it was so “menthally”.

I’d love to find something like that again.

6 Likes

A mint flavor to it is interesting enough but to be that strong is crazy!

2 Likes