What's Eating My Leaves?

Hi.
I’m doing an backyard/outdoor grow in UK.
It’s only my second grow but decided I’d try all organics this year and didn’t want to use chemicals if I could help it. So I’m using a supersoil and only adding tap water.
All my other plants are doing okay
A couple, though, especially Heavy Grapefruit has been attacked by some sort of bug, or disease. Brown spots have been appearing on the fan leaves and they eventually turn into holes. I had some of this last year but it cleared up on their own.
This year, however, it’s just eating fuck out of the plant
I’ve tried spraying down with hydrogen peroxide/water, washing with with Castille soap, spreading diatomaceous earth. I will be trying BT in a day or so and I’m brewing up some LABS as I write.

Anyone got any idea’s of what it is and how to get rid?

Cheers

GreenBhoy

6 Likes

Wouldnt hurt to spray with neem oil and some soap

4 Likes

Or this if its caterpillars.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. @ hewhocoruptz
I’ve tried Dr Bronners Castile soap with water. I spent the day Jonesing over that Monterey BT but they don’t sell it in the UK unless it’s a fortune. I have some German gear that looks similar coming soon though.

Cheers

2 Likes

Maybe a flea beetle they usually chew grapeshot type holes in plants they are a small Iridescent shinny beetle that jumps like fleas when disturbed about the size of a pin head . That would be my guess. Doesn’tlook Like hoppers to me leaves are distorted as well hope it’s not a disease.

3 Likes

Thanks @Tinytuttle (quick tip of the hat for all your organic info’s)
It could be flea beetles but I can’t find any kind of bugs ON the plant, I scoured with a loupe both on top and underneath and couldnt find anything.
To be more accurate about whats happening, small yellow splotches appear on the leaves before they turn into holes.
I don’t know if it IS a bug or a disease. I do know its spread to my other plants and I’m bricking it cos I may have to chop them if I cant cure this.

It starts off like this…

Evventually getting to this…

EDIT

The reason it could be a disease is that THIS discoloration appears before the holes.

And I’m going to try this later, (once Google Translate has done its work) Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai.

1 Like

Ya I don’t think it’s a disease it this point my guess is that you have some sort or pest moving in under the cover of darkness then leaving before sun up maybe check a few hours before light with a flash light to see if ya can catch anything in the act … maybe try a safety insecticidal soap for starters and see if it helps.

1 Like

I didn’t see the Castile soap comment earlier like mention try a neem oil… it weird how some plants get chewed on when the ones right next to it are fine you’ll see the quite often do you have another grapefruit next to it by chance?

1 Like

I would try Neem first. Get a pure neem oil similar to below and emulsify it yourself. It is way cheaper and works WAAAY better. I personally would alternate neem and Spinosad every three days for a week or so. Should knock it out. Remember, some bugs will be resistant to one type of spay. You need to alternate to get proper IPM.

This is the best place to get pure neem oil. I lived in the UK for some years and did some organic gardening over there. I know people had the same “pure neem oil” there.
http://www.neemresource.com/

2 Likes

Its always the weak ones that get sick and have bugs. I have some problems with some strains but I really think plant health has the most to do with it.

2 Likes

In a side note from what I’v gathered over the years beetle and beetle like pest are the hardest to control with their exoskeleton and their digestive system is more advanced than most other bugs out there but can be dealt with consistency is key

2 Likes

I think they are bugs, I don’t know if thrips or possibly spider mites after watching this leave:

Take one damaged leave and check it with a scope, look in the back for eggs, white blotches and brown poo, if there are mites you cannot see them naked eye … :sunglasses:

spider mites

3 Likes

If you come in my garden you will see me staring at my plants for long periods of time. Just staring…still staring.

Because it can take 2 or 3 minutes sometimes to notice something is wrong or see a bug.

4 Likes

Thanks for replying @Tommy_McCain n @Tinytuttle
So the grapefruit was from Europa Seeds, presumably decent gentics, Both my GSC and SSH are fine and healthy. I also planted some Orange Creamsicle bagseed I had.
(On a side note, one of them had three leafs, I hadn’t seen Whirled Phylotaxy before so thought I’d keep it to see what happened. Its turning more into a lettuce and seems more branches and leaves rather than growth tips. My question, is it worth persevering with it as the yeild might be insignificant.)
They all sat next to each other but it definately began with the grapefruit and spread on. London has been off and on wet, I was hit by snails at the same time but managed to rid myself of them. I wsnt sure if my supersoil was off but my other plants are in the pink right now.
It’s a wee puzzle.

Fuxake Tommy, you just described me to a t.

1 Like

Thanks @George for the reply. That first picture is about the closest I’ve seen anywhere to what I’ve got.

2 Likes

Jesus, Stay off the weed, GB, I just realised you zoomed in on my pic.

1 Like

I had hope putting Diatomateous Earth around the plants may help that.

1 Like

I had one like that and destroyed it. It never did the Whorled Phyllotaxis thing though

2 Likes

Alright!
The old electric microscope caught something.

Photo on 10-07-2020 at 17.05 #2
Photo on 10-07-2020 at 17.25

I looked it up and they appear to be spider mites.
However, I also found this…dunno what it is.
Photo on 10-07-2020 at 15.37

Miridae. They suck plant fluids. Big family, lots of species.

Those are spider mites. Take care of them now with an effective systemic pesticide, or you’ll be fighting them forever. The systemic will also kill the Miridae sucking your sap. Spiromesifen or Abamectin are great for this purpose.

inb4 the granola crowd start shrieking about “toxic poison man-made CHEMICALS”.

1 Like