Where are the Mexican Sativas? I have no idea... Can you help me find them?

I’m sure it’s good weed, but it’s probably hybrid. The guys I know from Mexico City say that’s the case with everything they get nowadays. I sure like those prices though!

2 Likes

Hola Amigo

Ye prob… Correct… It’s a frigging shame, but hybrids are everywhere.

But it was just a wee note about scoring in Central America And other places.

Dont be attracting attention to yourself by asking locals for weed till you get to know them.
As the guy says, get to know some local folks, do a bit of research, of where your visiting… Etc

With Mexico legal now and that beautiful street food… What a combination
Rico!

Edit! and of course Tequila…good grass and Tequilla…made in heaven!.

3 Likes

That’s awesome to hear! I know since Kiki Camarena, the cartels and organized crime in Mexico have been less than excited about the attention that killing westerners brings. It usually upsets business and brings a spotlight of scrutiny that is bad for the bottom line. There have been some very, very strange exceptions, though, like that Mormon family not long ago. Super weird. I was never terribly concerned about the bigger cartels. A lot of the time, it’s the smaller and less organized ones that run road tolls and rob and carjack vehicles, but they’re often poorly organized and trained. That’s good news and makes me feel a bit more confident in this journey.

I’m not gonna lie, I got hugely discouraged and frustrated for a while. I’d been trying to hard to force a plan and be meticulous, when this is very clearly a “cowboy up” endeavor. I haven’t done that kind of thing for a long time. There were so many times I was doing route planning and search planning that I’d say to myself “this is so ridiculously stupid.” I still, honestly, can’t completely tell if it is or not, but I’m not as bothered now that I’ve transitioned fully to “cowboy up” mode. Now, I’m just gonna build the vehicle and saunter my way into Mexico. It’s so… stupid, and yet I’m really looking forward to it now.

Really, I just had not completed the operational mindset shift from Asia to Latin America. The search methodologies are going to be so much different. There doesn’t need to be nearly as much planning and precision since a vehicle can cover so much ground, so quickly. Also, there just isn’t the time or even the necessary data available to plan. This is very much a search driven by networking and human data.

I wish that surprised me. I’ve heard it’s the same with a lot of other ethnicities on the east coast. A lot of heirloom genetics don’t exist in country anymore, but regularly make their way up and down I-95. It’s a sad state, especially because those ethnic groups are often tied to organized crime and hold onto their genetics with a tightly clenched fist.

I like this idea a lot and appreciate the offer, though I don’t want to deprive the community of these seeds, especially if there might not be any Oaxacan landrace or heirlooms that remain in the area. I was planning on traveling with heirloom fruit and vegetable seeds, as well. Part of my reservation regarding Mexico is that deep down, I have serious doubts about what’s left. I never want to be responsible for a net loss of genetics; that’d devastate me. With that said, I really do like the idea and greatly appreciate it. I wouldn’t accept anything until like the week before I leave—I’d need to know that there could be no possible obstacles to the journey before I accepted anything.

I really, really love those prices. I’m glad things are going to be a lot more permissive, in terms of cannabis laws in the region.

I’ve also got a plan I’m going to try in Mexico. It’s bold, reckless, and the embodiment of “cowboy up.” I got the idea from Coriolanus. Though, things didn’t turn out too well for him…

I’m planning on staying in each search area for a while and first getting ‘acquainted’ with the area and its inhabitants. It’s going to take a while of daily living and socializing in a lot of these areas, before I can begin searching in earnest. My primary search methodology is going to be networking, and I’m going to carefully plan each approach. The more potentially fruitful an area, the longer I’m willing to stay. I don’t want to stay in any one place for more than three weeks, max, though.

Can you imagine, legal weed, street food, adventure, beautiful landscapes, no substantial language barrier? It sounds like paradise. Makes me wonder why I’m still living here.

I can’t wait to make it through Panama. Beers on me! I’ve tried to fly there many times, but they’ve never let me enter without a return flight booked. Usually, I can get past requirements like that.

5 Likes

I’m making some seeds to pass out, and for the vault and future breeding, but Am growing these to smoke them. Lots of other stuff for repros. I would just make extra seed if you are interested. I like the heirloom veggie and fruit seeds idea, but cops dont carry cannabis seeds to trade, and they could help in a sticky situation…think about it.

5 Likes

In that case, absolutely. I think it’s definitely a good idea and the backstory of them could help break the ice and open dialog. I just didn’t want to take seeds meant for another purpose. I really appreciate your generosity on that, it’ll definitely better facilitate success.

5 Likes

I was talking to one of the new guys from Chile, having a brain fart on the name unfortunately, but perhaps @Gugumelo would know the name. Anyway, he says chili has no landraces, but that they used to grow some of the other common South American land races… so it may still be worth going. Less likelihood of them hybridizing the old varieties then of it happening in their own country I would think. People tend to hold on to something they can’t easily replace.

4 Likes

Yes, the guy with the Easter Island plants …

@barefootgrow

3 Likes

I’m not sure if that surprises me that much, actually. My plan was to skip most of Chile and focus on Argentina, instead. Chile is, I think, the most topographically diverse country on earth, but I might be wrong. I’m sure China is up there. Anyway, a good portion of it is un-arable, either because of topography or climate. A lot of what is arable is pretty isolated or ruggedly inaccessible. From a topographical standpoint, it’s a unique country. There are acid lakes, towering mountains, Martian landscapes and strange swamps and also cosmopolitan cities. It’s one of the cooler countries. I’ve always wanted to see the entire thing, just because there’s nothing like it. It just never seemed like it would be an efficient place to search.

I might try and hit up rural areas on the outskirts of cities, possibly, or smaller towns, but I definitely don’t want to scour Tierra del Fuego. Though, I think there are penguins if you go far enough south. I’ve always wanted to see wild penguins.

8 Likes

im down to help anyone coming to wanting to come to chile… im down for help either by giving advice connecting people or whatever… Cheers. feel free to hit me up…

Ps. The chilean landrace is my opinion that we dont have an original landrace from here… hopefullyu im wrong and time might change my opinion hehehe cheers

6 Likes

at least for me in the 60’s and 70’s south american, central america(P.Red) and Mexico had the best buzzes

4 Likes

I knew things would start moving quickly, but this is aggressively quick. There isn’t much time for planning, but I should be able to do some sort of minimum. I dropped off the offroad rig today to get electrical work done. Next will be having it built up to be pretty ‘rugged and robust’. The Suzuki Samurai is pretty ideally suited for this, and holds the altitude record for land vehicle, iirc. I got my first vaccine shot, as well, Moderna, yesterday, and feel like garbage today. I’ve got mixed feelings, but the desire to get back to life overrides everything else on that end.

It was a good move suspending the Asia trip. Looking at Asia now, it’s going to be a while before many countries there are thinking about tourism.

Good progress so far!

9 Likes

I stayed in El Salvador, El Cuco about a decade or so ago.
Not sure about seeds, but I can say that the weed culture is alive and well, and somebody grew some fire when I was there - resembled a Bubblegum strain I’d had - fruity, sticky lots of laughs with a completely random international group.

Look around the surf “camps” (B&Bs that cater to surfers)

2 Likes

I got my first shot of moderna as well , feel ok but arm is sore

1 Like

Congratulations! We may have 5g trackers inside of us, but at least we’re gonna be out having fun in 28 days! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Eudaemon it saves time in the Walmart self checker!

1 Like

Lol. Don’t get me going.

1 Like

I have a purple Mexican heirloom originated from there old school Mexican grower…

Breeding out this yr. we shall see . :v:t2::sunglasses::v:t2:

16 Likes

I saw that on strainly. The first thing that popped into my mind was Zacatecas purple. Where did you find the additional pictures? That’s a really nice color purple. Looking forward to seeing this one growing out. Flower time is fast for a pure Mexican, but I’ll bet it’s good regardless.

5 Likes

Same place you mentioned above. I’m into old school, my thoughts are saving the old school strains myself as well… Rudaralis is next, I don’t grow autos but just want them lol have some older school Neville crosses I’ve been growing for yrs. doing this on a slow basis don’t have the time for to much at the moment have three rooms and a breeding tent to deal with takes a lot of time and work…your appreciated keeping the old strains alive. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

If you’re looking for safari ideas…

Iran would be the most dangerous.
Norcal being 2nd most dangerous :upside_down_face:

4 Likes