Where is Jim Ortega?

What’s the smell on ML? Stem rub smell?

2 Likes

Is this the Jim you ask about? Jim maple leaf Wilson

alot of people assume that NDNguy was an Native American from the PNW

Born and raised in Illinois, Jim Wilson Jr. excelled in academics and athletics but also endured racial abuse. He soon joined the counterculture, traveling to Woodstock and Jamaica before becoming a fixture of Ann Arbor’s Hash Bash and Grateful Dead tours with his Rasta Pasta Pesto. His friend, High Times Editor-in-Chief Steven Hager, hired him as an edible columnist and put him on the November 1987 cover. Ra’s ebullient personality and recipes – such as Springtime Ganja Nachos and Ultimate Hash Brownies – were also featured in the videos “Chef Ra Escapes Babylon” (1989) and “Ganja Gourmet” (2003). Sadly, Jim passed away on December 26, 2006.

See, most of us were living in our own little worlds. Some of the more socially progressive among us certainly had no idea of the primitive beliefs being held by some of our fundamentalist fellow students, just as none of us knew the history of racism in the town, and how all blacks had been herded around the hemp factory

7 Likes

Nice and healthy just like we like them.Locust green very nice

1 Like

Update on the Mom Maple leaf
It’s been crossed to Kanak Balochistan

Here’s the F1 female and I used her for the F2 line being finished now

I also used that Maple leaf female plant and crossed a Hawaiian Sativa Blood male.
I got a beautiful Red apple aroma above the bud, you didn’t have to rub it to smell it, in testing.

And I have Turkish x Maple leaf.
She did her service to the cannabis culture. Lol.

Here’s that one in August. 10 feet, no nutes were added, in old saw dust. Didn’t have room and enough topping and pruning. I’ll run these next year outdoors and see how wide I can get these.
:100::dove:

24 Likes

Awesome! I’ve always been curious about the Maple Leaf.

Those are monsters outside :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Every one who smokes Maple leaf has zero complaints, even picky people. Seems to help you sleep easier than almost anything.
Long lasting before you dip out asleep lol

6 Likes

I never did post a bud pic of the Maple leaf,
Here it is.

This was mid flowering, after 70 seeds I found a giant female.

Beautiful flowers on her. Some serious old school killer too.

29 Likes

Any more of those Maple Leaf seeds laying about? BEAUTIFUL plant, indeed, CONGRATS!!. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I can get more, they are known problematic, lots of herms and runts. Took me 70 seeds to find that giant phenotype, but they all have them pistil colors, I do get a lot of pink pistil plants.

I’ll grab some more, then send you some, then do a preservation run, I just didn’t see a reason or 2 good pairs to do a breeding project.
Lots of cool stuff about Maple leaf online how it grows. But the end result of the good ones makes it worth the herms tossed.

It definitely deserves a true preservation project, but I did get Turkish Hash Plant pollen on that plant. :dove:

5 Likes

Is this the maple leaf mix nevil received or is this the maple leaf indica line nevil created?

3 Likes

When I was giving the seeds I was told they were Ortega Maple Leaf. If we find people who’ve grown it out, they can compare to the pics I posted.

It definitely was loved by critical people, and it is one of the best anti insomnia weed on the planet. But the line is unstable in herms and runts. It’s all worth the issues when a stable phenotype appears. :dove:

5 Likes

I have sensi seeds maple leaf indica seeds that I did a repo on from 2012 and I wanted to compare them to yours and what your getting out of them . I ran a bunch a few years ago but phenos didn’t vary much when it came to taste/smell. Mostly I got maple syrup, woody and sweet like a donut phenos. And most produced dark green camo looking buds once dried that didn’t have great bag appeal but the taste was nice .

1 Like

Definitely sounds different, I got a sweet Maple syrup at the end, plants do perform better in taste, bag appeal.

Wondering if maybe yours was grown indoors?

2 Likes

The seeds were bought from the tude in 2012 The repo was done indoors in 2016 but I did a large pheno hunt of the next gen outdoors around 2020 looking for an aghani t pheno witch i never found. I did noticed the first gen indoor plants had some differnt phenos/expressions I still havnt found in the 2nd gen so I would guess there still stuff hidden in them I havnt found yet. A great plant to hash if your into that thing. I hope yours are the original mix it would be nice to know that still exist

2 Likes

Not sure if this will help anyone since this is an old thread but here is the maple leaf indica i grew in 2019 from an old sensi pack i did make f2s with this full term tree for preservation and still have alot of seeds. the plant grew really good outdoor here in Oklahoma and seems a little different , the smells were more skunky with super gassy notes and thin leafed structure but finished off really ugly and red haired. but smokes really good after cure and the high is super racy like a roller coaster :roller_coaster:

15 Likes

Man I’d love to trade up on some.

I’ve got Maple Leaf x Turkish Hash Plant seeds out, and I just pulled out the Maple Leaf x Hawaiian sativa seeds to work up again.

I’m wanting to cross Garlic bud into Maple Leaf next.

And popping 88 Ortega right now from FDM

I crossed 88 into Maple Leaf x Kanak Balochistan last season. I’ll pop them soon

2 Likes

Definitely different than the wide leaf phenotypes, the pistils have that Pink.

I’m gonna get some more Maple Leaf seeds again. Unfortunately ML throws herms, but still worth growing. And the ones that herm do it early. None did it in full flowering season.

I wonder is Sensi had some stray pollen get into the line. The MLI almost looks like some Ancestral Skunk is in it. Lol.

3 Likes

Sometimes a hot humid summer will cause thinner leaves on indica, sometimes they just start shrinking it seems in weather like that lol.

2 Likes