White powdery mildew?

I only have a tiny bit of it, but I’m wondering if this is what this is (below).
Also, am wondering if anyone has done or knows if bud washing can clean it off when harvesting using baking soda water bucket, the h202 and lemon water bucket, then just plain water bucket or some variation of that or other?

Ps, under the scope this looked pretty interesting but I didn’t grab a picture of that yet.

Kind of hard to tell from this picture now that I look at it lol

5 Likes

Looks like PM to me. It’s that time of year too.
Cut off what you can see. You can wash with h2o2 solution also.

4 Likes

Definitely PM .

4 Likes

Yep, powdery mildew by the looks of the pic, though hard to see.
The key is preventative maintenance, usually caused by high humidity and not enough air circulation. Put in a fan or another fan to help prevent this in the future.
Another simple cure is mixing 40% milk(real milk) and 60% water and spray it on the plant when the lights first come on. Neem Oil works well also. Spray other plants also so spores don’t spread to them.

5 Likes

That’s it.

Only real cure is fungicides like Eagle 20. Milk does nothing. Everything else is more of a preventative measure. Harvest the plants you have, trim off the affected areas as best you can, make hash with the rest. Treat all your plants in veg and early flower with a fungicide though, I can guarantee they’re infected too. Going forward try to do better about airflow/leaves touching/defoliating.

7 Likes

Thanks guys, yeah I have a fairly big oscillating fan and another fan as well (that unfortunately happened to be sort of pointed away/wrong direction for a little while) but also yeah, it’s basically outdoors and I think the weather change has some to do with it.
The foliage is very light and the plant is pretty late into flower I believe only cause most of it has been harvested already and I haven’t had much time to do the rest…

@vernal and @Oldjoints any thoughts from you guys on the bud washing for it when harvesting?

3 Likes

Trim off what you can, make water hash with the remaining material. Washes the plant and separates the trichomes from infested buds. I’m sure we’ve all smoked PM infested bud and didn’t know it, though.

3 Likes

So you’re saying if I do a bud washing it won’t get it all off to smoke as flower?

My last grow got PM pretty bad. I ended up tossing a plant because it was getting really bad and still had a long way left to go:

I ended up keeping the other one and just cut off the ugly bits.

I also experimented with a mild bleach spray but if it’s just a little I’d just cut off the affected parts. Worked just fine.

As mentioned bubble hash is a good option but I didn’t have enough to bother on that run.

All the best.

2 Likes

Yes I am saying simply washing will not remove it all. There will be some left, no matter what you do. Yours is also up in the buds themselves, which probably means you have it pretty bad. A single spot or two on a fan leaf is one thing, late stage is different.

I wouldn’t smoke flower I knew had mold, personally. Trash or hash.

2 Likes

@vernal So the PM doesn’t get into the hash?

1 Like

How did the bleach spray work? Fungus does hate bleach lol.

Any bud that has PM and not totally cured should not be smoked. Washing will not remove what is inside the bud. If it is late in flower toss the plant and cut your losses and be preventative with any plants left.

2 Likes

It worked. I smoked it. It was fine.

It was an experiment. I harvested and left a few branches for testing.

10:1 water:bleach

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again on mild infection

Edit: it didn’t even burn the leaves

Double edit: I did a quick water rinse when harvesting to eliminate any residue

6 Likes

Damn bud 10:1? That’s what I use to clean my bathroom lol. I guess it does rapidly break down to salt and chlorine though.

3 Likes

I didn’t measure it but it was something like that. My weed, cleaner than vernals bathroom!

But yes, I wasn’t overly concerned about residue but I did a rinse anyway

4 Likes

Is smoking chlorine OK?

Im a worry wart. Yall are brave. I would just chuck it.

2 Likes

Are you saying trash the cut off bits and make hash with the rest…or make hash off the cut off bits and the rest is good.

I mean can you ever really be 100% you got all of it?

1 Like

It breaks down over a couple days to chlorine gas (dissipates rapidly) and salt.

Trash the bits you cut off, hash the stuff without discernable mold on it.

If you make hash with stuff that visually is mold free, you can probably assume the product is safe. I’m sure there is some degree of contamination but I doubt anything to worry about.

I just listened to a hemp disease talk by Dr. Janna Beckerman PhD, Professor of Botany and Plant Pathology at Purdue University. She specifically said, Eagle20 is not safe to use on cannabis/hemp. It is not allowed by the EPA per the hemp farm bill, not allowed under any state medical cannabis laws, and not allowed in the tobacco industry. I would absolutely not use that crap on my weed plants. Life is too short to be smoking residue.

3 Likes