White seeds, who knew?

So I was sorting some fresh seed recently and was picking out deformed seeds and white ones. For the hell of it I threw about 10 white seeds in with the wifes house plant. Well apparently white crappy looking seeds will germinate. Something i read in the JOTI thread made me think doing of it.

28 Likes

“Old Wives’ Tale” regarding “white seeds”!!! Not all white/pale seeds are unviable. Many coming out of the Near East/Asia are such. That’s a good way to toss out perfectly good seeds. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

17 Likes

I think your right, but you get so many seeds just from a couple seeded buds why not just send pretty ones if your passing them on. :smiley:

8 Likes

I had a similar experience with some 2014 Jamaican seeds thinking they were past the point of sprouting . To my surprise most all sprouted and grew to maturity .

5 Likes

I actually use my pale and deformed seeds for seed sprout tea hormone treatments. you can also grind them and use it as mulch to get the same effect.

I don’t usually grow them though because I don’t want to select plants that will produce high ratios of pale or immature seeds.

From what I hear this is not a problem when growing plants from pale seeds, but healthy seed and pollen production is the most important trait to keep a line going, so I always select for good reproductive characteristics.

9 Likes

Makes sense to me.

5 Likes

Just to add a little info on the white seed viability conversation. A few years back a friend of mine tossed me a cutting of a rare Northern Lights plant. After a thorough vegging period, right before I’d go into 12/12, I got locked up for a short period. My oldest son was here babysitting my plants, but not really. Upon my return, my plants were crappy looking with mites. My idea was to scrap the grow. I put two plants outside and watered them daily from my water hose. Season changed and both began to flower. The NL plant yielded a single 7gram bud, out of that came a single white bean. I popped it just because and revived (not only my cut but the guy who originally gave me the cutting) the original strain. Dude was more elated than I, that I recovered his gem strain.

14 Likes

So many years ago a girlfriend of mine was sorting seeds out for me and I told her get rid of all the white ones , little did I know she threw them all in the house plant in the living room and I had random sprouts for at least three weeks.
I’ve also had seeds live threw a bho blast and then sprout outside in the mulch pile :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Now that is gross and impressive
Well I guess if it lived the it didn’t release all its oils into the butane

1 Like

Right lol the old days of crappy extraction methods , I prefer dry sift hash myself

1 Like

Oh I remember thinking we were at the top of the game with a stainless steel tube with tripod stand, open blasting. They advertised back on the old overgrow, I called it the rocket.

4 Likes

Yeah I tried to get rid of them all but a few snuck in and wanted to live against all odds

2 Likes

Lol some people still do open blasting but man I don’t advise it, always preferd glass tubes but they freak some people out , the whole exploding glass fear that is not a reality.
Dry sift lightly pressed just to were it barely darkens and then cured for at least a few days is the best imo you keep all the terps and it’s way easier to smoke, dabs are definetly nice at times but it’s way more popular with the younger crowd and I’m not trying to blow up my house or pay club prices so dry sift it is lol

10 Likes

White seeds that don’t pop/ crush when you press on them will germinate, but won’t last as long in storage as fully mature seed. I only keep them if i don’t have that many dark seeds. They are just slightly premature seeds, and will grow fine in most cases. Afropips Malawi Gold years ago was white seeds from the original collection. Freakshow seeds are naturally white ( i hear), even when ripe.

4 Likes

Agreed as long as they have some structural integrity (tegridy) and don’t crush, they’re usually viable, with similar germ rates to the big dark ones.

4 Likes

I know this is an older thread, but was wondering y’all’s opinion on these seeds I just received. I won them on a auction of some old stock so I won’t be able to get replacements. From reading this thread it says to squeeze them but I don’t wanna take that chance hahaha.

8 Likes

Germinating old Seeds
How do I germinate seeds?
Germinating new and old seeds in fluctuating temps
Heres some other threads you could read

2 Likes

Those look fine to me

4 Likes

I’m no pro but they don’t look to bad to me either!!

1 Like

I’m hoping they’re good to go! I think the flash on the camera made them look better

1 Like