Who has the best genetics for Northern Lights?

Who has the best northern lights ?

That’s it. Just curious. I also came to learn a bit word to mouth history that’s not on google since I’m still kind of a youngster compared to the real OGs here. Northern lights is hands down in my top 15.

By best I mean how close to the original was it without any major modifications.

Thank you again :slight_smile:

8 Likes

authentic genetics, would be my guess.

6 Likes

Depends on which Northern Lights??

1? 2? 5?

For NL1? I would hands down go with AKBeanBrains. He got the NL1 when it came out in the 80s. Hes also got another version. Same genetics, but different selections, from other growers. I think he has 2 versions of NL1. And like I said. Its the same genetics, but he got seeds from 2 other sources, and bred them together. You can take your pick of which selection you want.

NL5???
The stuff Authentic Genetics has was never released to the public until 2-3 years ago. Nevil originally got seeds of the NL5 from The Indian, and 2 years later came to the USA to get the original NL5 clone, Nevil said what he had bred had already surpassed the USA NL5. He bred the NL5 to an NL1 male.

IMHO what everyone knows as NL5 was either late 80s NL5, or the 90s, which I think they are the same. Nevil sold the Seed Bank in 1990 to Ben Dronkers, along with all of his genetics.

But I believe The Green Stash off of Strainly has the best NL5, and it is also the cheapest. And Im not a cheapskate. Money is usually not an object. I think they are $5.25 a seed from TGS.

Another place that has really good 80s-90s NL5 is AKBeanBrains. AKBB has all kinds of 80s-90s genetics, and is one of my very first go 2s.

AKBB also has 2 different versions of NL5. One is simply 89 NL, and the other is NL5. Or NL5 x NL5. The 89 NL5 Im guessing came from The Seed Bank/Nevil.

NL2? We grew Authentic Genetics NL2 last year, and it was some killer stuff. Really good…Well worth growing. Every bit as good as the NL5, but I believe the NL5 is better for breeding.

Plus at $50 a pack for AG gear, you cant hardly beat that.

26 Likes

I would love to grow some honestly and run them been hearing great things can’t seem to find a northern lights thunderfuck strain… wish I would’ve cloned it but I am also looking for the best to test

1 Like

Also,
Crickets and Cicadas
Bodhi
Empyrean
Dr Atomic

3 Likes

i grew some “PEZ” s1 from sinsimilla23 a while back and bumped
into almost the same plants in peakseed’s northern lights packs :wink:
that’s maybe worth a shot to explore.

12 Likes

Sensi Seeds

2 Likes

Grew 1 nl1 from akbb and it was a nasty herm, told ak(dave) and he checked his breeding room(nl1) and found herms. Happy to send you his emails to confirm. Stay away!

8 Likes

Was yours a recently purchased pack? I bought mine forever ago, just curious and thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

Who builds a better truck, Dodge, Ford, or Chevrolet?

3 Likes

Dr Atomic had one of the best.Good luck finding his gear though its very scarce now ,he got back into some bad habits and is soon to be falling into obscurity.If you find his stuff try and get your hands on it once its gone its gone i dont know if he will ever be the way he used to be anymore

2 Likes

Yes xmas of 2022. I just checked the emails.

Edit. Direct from Dave!

3 Likes

Interesting to hear. I was about to pull the trigger last night on his Cantaloupe Haze X 89 NL but thought, nah I’m going sleep on it.

I have never grown NL even though I have been reading about it for 25 years.

5 Likes

Same here, until I grew this one until about 20d flower and chopped “it”. I have posts somewhere on here with pictures and Dave’s email responses.

1 Like

I have his nl1,5,9 and maybe 2 I don’t recall. But I’m not sure I want to “test” for him again. Haha.

Edit. It’s 89nl not nl2

5 Likes

Yeah, I understand your reluctance to try more. Not going to lie, the price is a little high for me. Does he sell direct?

I applaud him for taking your concerns in to consideration with what he is putting out. Some breeders would just ignore negative feedback.

1 Like

Yes he does sell direct, and if you buy 2 or 3 he gives and extra 1 sometimes 2 packs. He also replaced the nl1 pack with something else of my choice, don’t remember what I picked. I may try his gear again in the future (what I already have). No reason to discard all of them, hopefully there are some stable genetics in the 100 beans I have of his

4 Likes

I’ve seen some folks have a great success with several of his strains, but I’ve also seen a few Herm reports, so I’m sure it depends on the strain and the environment and all those factors.

Hopefully most of what you have from him is stable and has some nice smoke in some phenos.

2 Likes

He even said since he found some(nanners) he was going to rerun them and see if it’s environmental or stress. I had 4 other strains with no issues in the same tent.

3 Likes

Peakseedsbcs Northern lights is worked. Won’t get overly tall, big flowers, lots of trichome coverage, fairly low on odour though. Strong narcotic smoke.

He now is legit under Far West Genetics

7 Likes