"Wild" unidentified Sativa - Free Seeds

Hey OG’ers

I have a rather interesting story to tell, and seeds to share.

I spent a year farming in Ontario and was given a tip by a neighbor to check out one of his hay fields. He said there was some wild hemp growing and wondered if I could make use of the seeds. I went to check it out, and what I discovered was 100’s of plants that were to my surprise and pleasure NOT hemp!

The plants were obviously a Sativa dominant strain, showing 2 dominant phenotypes. Roughly half were 3-4’ tall single cola plants with little branching, and half were giant Christmas tree shaped monsters 8’ tall.

I ended up getting a bit more back story from the farmer, apparently there had been a grow op near that area 5+ years ago. The plants were definitely not being cultivated, and seemed to have been spread about by birds or had begun many years prior from left over seed. They were growing in the protected areas near a nearby barn, growing from underneath bales of straw, and all along the nearby fence lines in many directions.

When I collected the seed, for at least 5 years these plants had been germinating on their own, open pollinating, reaching maturity, dropping seed, overwintering in the top soil and regrowing again in the spring. No watering, no fertilizing, no intervention whatsoever!

I collected seed from the most resinous and prolific girls, as well as from the plants that had a beautiful purple hue.

The original seeds I collected were in 2014, and when I was visiting in 2017 I went back to see if the plants were still going…they were! I collected more seed, this time less critical and more educated on genetics and plant breeding. I collected from many more individuals to get the most genetic diversity possible. Even so, there were still only the same 2 general phenotypes on display.

I’d like to share these seeds with the community, in hopes we can together fully stabilize this miraculous “wild” sativa that flourished in what most would consider non-optimal conditions!

If anyone has seeds to trade I’d be thrilled to start collecting as many genetics as possible. I’m specifically looking for anything that is a stable open-pollinator, landrace, fast maturing or cold adapted.

Cheers,

JC

P.S. The pictures are of the original plants I found in 2014. The large girls were still green first week of September, purple and mature second week of October.
sativa-1 sativa-1-2 sativa-1-3 sativa-1-4 sativa-1-5 sativa-1-6 sativa-1-7 sativa-2 sativa-3 sativa-4 sativa-5

57 Likes

Nature always finds a way.:t_rex:

I’m sure there will be lots of folks on here that would be willing to trade some seeds with you. I’m an indoor grower and not a fan of sativa dom genetics. Some lovely looking plants though and a great read.

Peace

Bonged

14 Likes

Did you ever smoke any of it? Hemp can look just like drug strains and be resinous and stinky as well…

7 Likes

@beacher sure did! It was fairly mellow, my guess is it would have been much better if it hadn’t been in seed production mode. We mostly stripped out the seed and threw the rest in the bubble bags, yielded a decent amount of hash!

7 Likes

Nice! Sounds like you might be onto something special there. It’s really cool that those seeds self germinate after a Canadian winter!

Ever tried any indoors? They should have a pretty short flower period if they’re reaching maturity in Ontario every year

7 Likes

@TrevorLahey

Don’t sleep on this one!!! Sounds like an up north winner to me!!!

5 Likes

@beacher haven’t grown them indoors, although perhaps someday soon now that it’s legal! Would love to see someone give them a go indoors. I’m testing the germination rate on the 2014 seeds now, should know the % in a week or so.

6 Likes

hello friend, what terpenes have these beautiful sativas? a little fruit out there? or more woods and spicy?

5 Likes

Very cool! I love in Ontario and have sampled a lot of outdoor over the years. Always wasn’t key to find something that finishes up in time!

Cool find :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would take some but I dont have anything to trade yet soif you have alot of them and dont mind I would take some.

Thanks

4 Likes

I would love to give them a try to see how they fare outdoors here in Alaska. Unfortunately all I have at the moment to trade is Greenpoint seeds Jelly Pie f2’s ((Grape Stomper x Cherry Pie) x Stardawg) though if all goes well, i’ll have a batch of Dr Mendo (Dr Who x Mendo Cherry Grape) ~June-ish…let me know if your interested

14 Likes

If memory serves it was a bit of a mix. Spicy yet sweet, with a dank earthy finish. Not very much pine or lemon though.

6 Likes

If you’d like some seeds to try send me a PM with your address details :evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I have Lebanese landrace seeds to trade. F2’s made from open pollinated seeds. Early, spicy aroma, and tolerant of a fair amount of abuse. As is with yours, they need some grooming though ;D

7 Likes

This is an awesome sativa then! Crazy how someone’s leftovers made this happen :joy:

4 Likes

Did you collect any from the shorter single cola plants?
I have lots I could trade but probably nothing that matches your needs.

5 Likes

[quote=“Pedro_Bann, post:16, topic:16943”]
Did

Sure did! The 2014 seed has a higher ratio of the larger pheno but the 2017 seed has an even mix of everything that still had mature seed.

I’ll take a bit of anything for trade, any genetics have the potential to contribute!

4 Likes

reminds me of that mud blight or something from ACE

3 Likes

14 Likes

That looks phenomenal! Someone please start an indoor run of these seeds so we can all see a mature bud! Alas I won’t have the opportunity until October this year, and that’s a long time to wait :metal:

6 Likes