Working as a cannabis Chef

Hi everyone,

I am a professional cook and have been in the hotel industry for quite some time now and to be honest I need a fresh start, As a mj advocate, lover and fan I would like to work with these two passions, food and weed.

Do any of you have any experience in this matter? Which places would be ideal to get a job as such, Canada, USA?

I have dual nationality, British (UK born)

your input would be great.

15 Likes

Love the idea, sounds like a dream come true… Lowell herb co is the only canna restaraunt ive heard of rolling out in the US so far but im sure there are more in the works

3 Likes

Oklahoma is the wild west of weed. cooking with canna has benefits but i usually recommend the use of distillate, accurate dosing with minimal impact of flavor. i hear canada is pretty restrictive.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. After what I saw last night about the distillate stuff, it kind of scared me a bit… explosions and all. But yes, I understand it’s the most accurate and consistent method plus it’s the purest form of extraction I’m aware of.

1 Like

Freshly cut leaves have huge plate appeal.

2 Likes

I was at a cpa event in okc and they had fan leaves floating in the cocktail and on the plate, I don’t know where they came from but the leaf looked like it was having a phosphorus deficiency, I think I was the only one at the dinner that gave a shit though

9 Likes

The explosions are caused by BHO, distillate is created under vacuum, much safer

2 Likes

Quite a shame it didn’t look good since it’s just a visual in that application.

In all fairness I doubt the leaves travel very well and you’d likely need a plant in the back to make it work right.

1 Like

Theres an add in a local magazine that has obvious thrips damage on their leaf. This is one they give away free at the grow store. LMAO.

2 Likes

There are some weed pairings in LA as well as LV but I dont have a direct lead for you. I would assume Vegas is going to be one of the better markets for cooking with cannabis though being its a major part of the entertainment industry.

• BD
1 Like

My guess is that you would have better luck working for yourself doing a private event type deal. Id contact dispensarys or some other kind of cannabis company and throw them a pitch for an event. You could show case a specific strain or seed company

3 Likes

Yes this is what I am looking for. Working as a private chef.

2 Likes

Well there are some accidents too with the destilates as they use ethyl alcohol to dissolve the terps cannabinoids and so on. Then this concoction is simmered in a special balloon type of flask to evaporate the alcohol it’s called a rotary evaporator, leaving only the oils that have a super duper high level of thx or what not is present in the plant.

2 Likes

Not to distract from the conversation, but both BHO and Ethanol extractions, done with proper lab equipment, are quite safe. The majority of the accidents from making BHO and Ethanol are from attempting it in a home setting. Be safe folks. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don’t worry, won’t be building a makeshift lab heheh

Do you have any experience in this, or know of someone who has or is doing this kind of cooking?

Plus I would like to understand a bit more about the chemistry behind mj so as to be able to advise or be able to use the different types of products to provide a good experience. So good books or lacations as in institutions that provide training or coaching so I can learn. Is there such a thing? Cannabis school?

As in location. Come.to think about it, I could travel the world if the client would be willing to pay :grin:

1 Like

Yes in Oakland I believe is a cannabis school

1 Like

You may find what you are looking for in my tincture thread. It has a bunch of recipies I use in it. Beware, it’s a bit long.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @ReikoX , will definitely be reading it.

1 Like