WTF is up with these leaves?

Maybe this is normal, but I have not run across any mention of it before now, so I though I would ask. I have noticed two strange things going on with the leaves on my Blue Dream clones.

Some background - they are growing in 3 different hydro totes - E/F, NFT and Meniscus Membrane. All appear to be very healthy and have good color and good growth - other than these odd leaf issues. Early on I almost killed them with an extreme dunk in over strong Neem oil, but they bounced back. They are not really problems - just strange.

1. I have had a bunch of leaves with only three fingers, several with 4 fingers and a few with 6 fingers. Most are the usual 5 or 7 fingers. I have never heard of even numbers of fingers? I had assumed this was probably a result of the neem damaging the leaves when they were very young, but some of these are fairly new leaves.

1. I have just found 4 different leaves that have buds growing ON the leaf! This seems really odd to me. I was going to clip one off, but decided to leave them to grow and see how it goes. These are showing up on all three plants in the tent.

10 Likes

No worries friendo, think how many thousands of times cannabis has been crossed and imbred, its all genetics, nothing any of us haven’t seen or experienced before. Just like why my left nut is bigger than the right, genetics dude lol j/k

10 Likes

Ha! Ha! Ha! Holy sh!t. :grin:

4 Likes

LOL!!

Darn and such things! I was hoping I was the first to discover some new, weird, space alien, government experiment gone wild, toxic pollution, swamp monster, radiation spawned, mutant strain characteristics!!

So, what you are saying my plants are just inbred, genetic throwback idiots?

Dang. I much prefer space alien mutants… :wink:

2 Likes

Very common with clones. The newer leaves will grow more fingers

2 Likes

I’ve got 1 clone that just WON’T make more than 5 leaflets, but I know it used to make 7’s. It starts throwing pistils like crazy after 1-sigle night of 12/12 lamp hrs too. Got any thoughts?

1 Like

She’s like the girl at the bar thats already wasted at 7 p.m. it’s barely dark and she’s ready to go…home or elsewhere

Just my .02

3 Likes

Does anyone else see the nanner in the leaf bud?

5 Likes

Does look like a part of a male flower now you mention that! nice catch @Pedro_Bann!

1 Like

you mean this? looks suspicious

3 Likes

:thinking: :smoking: …well, it’s not gonna be: “1 strain that will never leave your stable?

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

:evergreen_tree: <— did the same crap in school

2 Likes

yep thats the suspect.

2 Likes

Oh crap!!

Can I still cut them all off and be ok, or am I screwed?

That’s what i would be trying, you will know soon enough if the hairs on the other buds start changing colour and retracting if they got pollinated or not.

just for the experiments sake it wont matter if you get a few seeds will it?

1 Like

It wont really effect my experiment I dont think. All three clones have these nanners on them in different places, so they are all more or less equally effected. I tried to cut them all off as I found them, but Im sure I missed some there are a bunch. Plus some of them look like they have already opened.

These things are really hard to see with the naked eye. I had to get my USB scope out to tell which buds had them or not. Even then, its hard to be sure some times.

Im bummed but maybe it wont be a total loss as far as yielding some usable Blue Dream.

This one looks like its opened already.

2 Likes

excellent pictures… nice job.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Im not 100% sure about any of the hairs retracting and changing color. Some of them have shorter hairs and are turning dark, but they may have just been smaller buds to begin with. Not much I can do about it now.

There is not a lot of info out there and much of what I have read is conflicting and/or confusing.

I am assuming that this is due to my stressing them almost to death with the Neem treatment, but I wonder if they were stressed before I got them. Its also possible these clones were taken from a plant in flower. They were showing sex when I got them and had no tops and all the stems had been cut off. Looking back on it, they makes me suspitious that the seller cut them from plants that were already flowering. Seems like that would have been a major stress factor as well. OR - they could just have bad genetics.

I need to take a closer look at the two ‘extra’ clones in my bat tub and see if they show any signs of nanners.

My question is - if I let these go on until I get mature seeds, will the seeds have the same tendency to hermie? Will they be some odd ball inbred mutant, or is it possible or desirable to keep those seeds and try to grow them again?

The two extras are - very slowly - going back to veg mode in my tub and look very happy and content - other than growing very slooowly due to low light levels. If they do re-veg successfully, would clones from them be ok to use?

On the other hand, maybe I should just not take any more chances and toss them?

in the James Bean tradition, using female anatomy and human reproductive behavior, would you polinate a chick like that :astonished: :blush:

heheh

:evergreen_tree: <— there’s no ADD section in Stich’s deficiency guide

hehehe while your replies are not necessarily always useful, they are most definitely entertaining :smiley:

2 Likes

yeah probably just preflowers, because they’re fully mature already… all of my clones are showing sex… i did take a few in flower but you can still see the bud on it… hasn’t started putting out new growth yet

where did you get these clones? it could be that they were just shitty genetics to begin with… do you have any light leaks in ur flower?

1 Like