Zamaldelica Express Run

:exploding_head:. Seriously :exploding_head: you just blew my mind!lmao I have never thought to do that but makes perfect sense

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I saw that split cup thing on reddit. Before, we were transplanting the old way. Flip the whole cup upside down, jiggle it around to try to get the soil to release from the cup, flip it back over into your palm, and try to shove the whole thing into a hole without disturbing the rooted dirt. We got better at this over time, but we often lost some dirt or slightly disturbed the roots in the process. I could tell they would be stunted after our transplants because they wouldn’t show any growth for about a week after a rough transplant.

This is another reason I’m stoked to see tiny leaf growth a day after transplanting. It feels like they didn’t notice it at all.

3 Likes

That is a good sign new growth👍

3/22:

3/26:

3/28:
I decided to take the domes off the let the top of the soil dry out

This monster strawberry nuggets is almost ready.

I have grown a few of these Pre98 Episode 1 and none were as frosty as this one. I keep checking trichomes and they won’t amber. I wish I wrote down when I started this one, I’d like to know what day we are on. When I first started doing this, I wrote down everything. Lately, I write down nothing.

Another shot of the pre 98 episode 1:

3/30:
4 Assed Monkey dried and jarred. Working out a few more points of humidity. We tried a joint today and were pleasantly surprised by this one. Similar to toof decay but packs more of a punch.

Strawberry Nuggets got the chop. One branch broke off when I flipped it. I took off about half of the fan leaves. It’s a bushy plant. I’m curious to see the final weight on this one.

And checking back on the little Zamaldelica Express. The pots felt about 50% dry so I have turned on the autopots. I should top water once or twice, but I don’t. The roots will find that water and they’ll take off eventually. I’d rather they stay on the medium size.

I have a concern! Two of my current plants are showing signs of nitrogen toxicity. I have strategically avoided photographing them, but I should share for the knowledge. Some of these Zams are in the same soil, so I am anticipating problems. Hopefully they can take it. I might do a little research on other ZE grows to see if they had any notes about nitrogen uptake.

I have two empty pots at the moment, so I’m thinking I might drop two more Zam Express and using a different batch of soil.

13 Likes

That pre98 looks so amazing man

1 Like

Strawberry nuggets really gave you some chunky ass nuggets.:exploding_head:

Looking fantastic!

Hopefully you can address your nitrogen excess, what’s the solution if they need less? Try to repot? Flush? It looks like you are organic, so quite curious what the path forward is if that’s the case.

I really don’t know how to fix excess nitrogen. Flushing sounds like the best bet. I’ve also read that you can put mulch on top of the soil and it will draw nitrogen out as it breaks down. I don’t know if I have time for that. So I’ll probably try a simple flush with RO.

One of the ZE is showing balls already. I’ll have some new pictures in a few days.

1 Like

Updates

4/4:
Getting bigger. Seems like the roots have found something.

Do you see what I see? Looks like a boy to me! (Sprouted 3/12, noted male pre-flowers 4/4 == day 23)

And the third one. I decided it would be smart to number these off so I can know which is which in the photos.

4/6
ZE 1, no sign of sex yet:

ZE 2

ZE 3, clearly a male:

Dropping new seeds. Using a fresh batch of good soil. Decided to drop one more Zamaldelica Express in case I have soil issues with the current batch. One Forum Stomper, a house favorite here. One Creme de la Compton. Sounds interesting and and flavor we haven’t grown yet. Looking forward to it. I also wouldn’t mind hitting a couple branches with some ZE pollen.

4/8
Number 1

Number 2

ZE 2

ZE 3

ZE 3

ZE 3, I like this picture. I got the camera to focus on the right things.

11 Likes

Hittin’ the gas pedal now! Great! I don’t think you are going to have pollen problems :sunglasses:

They look good to me, doesn’t look like a N problem for them. At least not a big one, they look well acclimated and vibrant.

2 Likes

Pre98 is a purrty plant your zams look like they are at the take off point

1 Like

Things are taking off.

4/9
ZE1

ZE 2

ZE 3

4/11
I noticed that ZE 2 was showing pollen sacks. That’s two males so far out of three

ZE 1:

ZE 3:

Yep, looks like all three are males! That’s my luck. I had 3 regs of Chemmunity service all come up female. Looks like all 3 Zam Express are looking male. I’m glad I have another seed about to sprout soon.

Number 1 today:

Soo… I guess the question now is, grow out 3 males and collect a ton of different pollen? Or cull two males, focus on one and get some new plants going quick? I’m not in a big rush to decide. I might do a little reading about male selection.

Speaking about reading, I was looking up other ZE grows and notes about nitrogen. Everything I found said “sensitive to nitrogen” or “picky” about nitrogen.

11 Likes

I’d definately be reading about selecting males. I’d try to collect the pollen seperately so you can see what works best, maybe that’s too much trouble.

Funny how the reading about plant sensitivities points out the obvious only in retrospect.

They’re looking great now!

cftakeoffsmall

3 Likes

4/12, checking back on the boys

ZE2:

ZE 3

Now, I don’t think I’ve had a “true” hermaphrodite yet, but this one worries me. All three of my Zam Express are clearly male, but this one seems to be showing some female parts too. See what you think? ZE3:

ZE1

Nitrogen Toxicity: Grape Walker Kush. I think this is my last seed, also. Kind of bummed. The frost is packing on though. Symptoms include: dark green color, canoeing leaves, leaves that look wet and curl over. Very little smell. Bud structure also seems leafy in places.

Executive decision, I have chopped ZE 3. With two other strong males growing, and this one looking herm and dropping pollen already, I decided to give him/her the boot. I will reuse this pot.

4/14 checking in.

ZE 1 is longer and leaner

ZE 2 is shorter and bushier

9 Likes

If you’re going to reuse the ladyboys pot you might want to give the top layer a good saturation to make sure any pollen is deactivated. Don’t want to take any chances.

4 Likes

Good call! I hadn’t thought about that, but I’ll do that today.

2 Likes

The ZEs have reached the poppin off point, my favorite part of an auto grow. It’s like “I think I can, I think I can, oh wow, now I really can!” And zoom, off they go haha.

But yeah, that is the risky thing about collecting pollen from multiple plants at the same time, if one starts going intersex you have to chuck all the pollen collected, or worst case, you’re out of luck with anything you’ve already pollinated. Good thing you caught that one.

As for the Grape Walter Kush, idk if that is nitrogen… If it weren’t an auto I would say it looks like it was revegging.

2 Likes

What he said :point_up:t2:I thought I had nitrogen deficient but was reveg. That definitly looks revegg but that my $.02 as my name says I’m noob. :rofl: it’ll be alright might not be as potent but good still.

1 Like

I just wanna reinforce that I said idk, because idk haha. It just doesn’t look like I would expect from nitrogen. There are some turned down tips, but not many. That’s the biggest thing that I noticed. And being autos from a reputable breeder, reveg seems unlikely, but that is really what it looks like to me. In situations like this in my own garden I tend to shrug my shoulders and say “ph?”. But lots of my plants are brown af so don’t let me steer you off course…

1 Like

I didn’t know a lot about revegging so I did some light reading. I didn’t think it was possible with autos, so I skipped that lesson. Reading these descriptions, my plants are definitely hitting all the major points. It sure seems like revegging. The accounts with autos have said the revegging occurred after they overfed nitrogen. Seems like it could be related.

However, almost every account of revegging I have read said to fix the light schedule to fix it. So, what is causing this is autos, and how do you fix it?

3 Likes