Zephyr grows and creates

Great thread and lots of useful info to increase the grow knowledge…i am using part of my 242 plant license to grow and donate to 8 local medical users.From what you have said about the guava hashplant of Bohdi’s its one i will look at purchasing to add into their medicine.thanks again for all the great info and i will be tagging along.

8 Likes

A great indoor and outdoor report, thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

thanks monkey man! I try to be thorough.

5 Likes

Thanks Canuck! that’s awesome that you are working to help out local patients! I’m a small scale grower, but I try to do the same thing whenever I get the chance. I’ve definitely given away a few turkey bags of bud this year haha.

6 Likes

thanks tejas! it was cool to get the opportunity to compare the growth patterns of the same cut indoors and out.

4 Likes

guava b outdoor hash
bright yellow with a very sweet smell… kind of like agave syrup. very mild sweet flavor. very smooth.
This plant produced a pretty good yield of concentrate.
Here are a few photos I took as I scraped up the batch.

After I put it all into the jar it crystalized and melded together a few hours later. very cool.

the batches that come out as shatter like this tend to be very good.

18 Likes

I just harvested 2 lebanese females from my outdoor grow. These are the last 2 seeds from the original real seed co lebanese stock I purchased in 2014, which were gathered at the source in lebanon. These are open pollinated by males from my 2017 reproduction of the same stock.

I got a purple pheno and a green pheno. These are both a little frostier than what I usually find from these lebs. I attribute that to both luck of the draw, and the later than usual harvest. they love the cold weather.

The green pheno is a new combination of the same smells I have found in the other green phenos. This one has a cucumber, brown beer, and cheese smell.

The purple pheno has a different smell than what I usually find in the purple phenos. So far the purple phenos have all had a red berry / cranberry smell with other notes varying from plant to plant.
This one is straight up mango. Here are some photos of the purple pheno.

I’m excited to see what these two new females will contribute to my lebanese preservation gene pool.

22 Likes

Beautiful job on your Lebanese! I do hope that this is a welcome addition to your thread and isn’t an unwanted intrusion/derailment. Will happily edit if it is:)

We grew a cut from seeds germinated last year of the rsc lebanese f2’s this year too. I believe they were f2ed from the same field collected batch as yours.

The seed plant was very early finishing and a little over done under natural photoperiod by the end of August. That’s why we kept it really…had hoped to make some early finishing chucks over the winter but that didn’t happen. Maybe this winter.

Having never grown a landrace Leb before it was a little odd looking. Which I guess shouldn’t have surprised me…we grew out a handful of Peshawar seeds years back and found many phenotypic expressions. There was one plant that looked really nice with full, thick flowers and a nice structure…almost all others were weedy…very wild and uncultivated looking with random chaotic structure.

I’ve only popped two of the rsc lebs so am not very familiar with them. Did you find much variation amongst the seeds you’ve grown aside from the different colored phenos and accompanying smells? Or fairly consistent in regards to growth, structure and finish time? Sorry for asking if you’ve already addressed that…I read a lot and don’t always retain much of it:)

As you can see, our leb has a loose, running flower structure with a nose I can’t rightly describe. Not fruity, pine or fuel. Maybe similar to your green pheno…I can identify a cucumberish smell…maybe even a hint of #2 pencil eraser.

Keep up the beautiful work!

12 Likes

I do hope that this is a welcome addition to your thread and isn’t an unwanted intrusion/derailment.

definitely! that lebanese plant looks great, and it’s interesting to see that this real seed co f2 resembles some of the phenotypes I have grown.

We grew a cut from seeds germinated last year of the rsc lebanese f2’s this year too. I believe they were f2ed from the same field collected batch as yours.

I’ve actually been asking around trying to get info on the quality and germ rates of the real seed co f2’s. The germ rates of the stock gathered on site were pretty low, roughly 2 out of 5.

I’m curious if the germ rates are better on their reproduction stock. I have good germ rates from my preservation seeds.

Did you find much variation amongst the seeds you’ve grown aside from the different colored phenos and accompanying smells? Or fairly consistent in regards to growth, structure and finish time?

I’d say there are landrace levels of diversity in pretty much every regard, but a lot of traits are consistent across all phenos. They all finish pretty quick, but not necessarily that early. In terms of structure and growth, I have definitely seen some phenos that grow faster than others, and they vary greatly in density and number of bud sites.

maybe even a hint of #2 pencil eraser.

I definitely get some that smell like cedar (a common wood for pencils), and some that have hints of rubber so I definitely know what you are talking about. There are even some with hints of something like wood glue or elmers glue. I have grown a lot of these. The smells are pretty much the most consistent thing in the line. All phenos are complex and subtle blends and variations of the same set of smells.

edit-
@almostdone and here are a few more photos of the other lebanese females I grew this year, these are my 2017 preservation.

6 Likes

I had a super low germ rate on mine as well. Would probably have been 2017 stock.

4 Likes

that’s really good to know. Those were definitely the f2 reproductions from real seed co then.

Given that the germ rates on the rsc reproductions are as low as the originals,
I’m going to go ahead and distribute some of my 2020 lebanese preservation through the overgrow seed run co-op.

If the germ rates are still low on the new stock from real seed co, then I will share these to help give people a better shot at growing and preserving the lebanese.

This is a really good strain for medical cannabis patients. very easy to grow, very hardy, and usable for juicing, smoking, and concentrates.

10 Likes

One thing that I noticed with the Lebanese is that they flower so quickly that it’s hard to mature seeds on them. The Blue Hemp Lebanese I’ve also grown had stated flower time of 46 days, and it wasn’t an exaggeration either. Maybe 50 days at best. None of my seeds were especially matured either, and I pollinated as early as I could.

4 Likes

that is definitely true about the lebanese. The flowers are usually so ripe that I need to harvest the plants with %30 or more of the seeds still unripe. And of the seeds that are ripe, usually about %10 are so ripe that they have dropped out of the plant by the time you harvest.

In some ways this is a cool landrace self propagation trait, but it makes it tough to harvest a full haul of ripe healthy seeds.

11 Likes

Guava update-

chopped the male last monday, there was hardly anything left, completely used up. Very quick flower cycle and finish for the male, which is cool because I like that this strain finishes quickly and I want to retain that trait in the offspring. This stuff makes a good harvest very fast.

Here are some photos of the females and quick description of the smell of the resin from each one.

These are the two female f2’s from the guava B cut. From this small sample size, it looks like the purple trait seen in the B mother is dominant in the offspring. Very similar structure to the mother. Very good resin production on the buds.

This one has a sweet fruity smell, pretty much straight up strawberry.

This one has a mild overripe fruit smell.

These are the two female f2’s from the guava F cut. These are a real surprise. The mother was a little bit sparse with small but extremely dense buds. These have larger colas and a denser branching structure. The real surprise was the smell. These are both really pungent and loud.

This one smells strongly of onions, I’ve never grown anything that smelled like this before. Really pungent, somewhere between a pickled cocktail onion and a fresh white onion. I’m very excited to try this one.

This one also has a funky allium smell. It’s different though. This one smells more like garlic and lemon or lemongrass, and some additional funky spices I can’t pin down.

These are a real surprise because the guava F cut smells like toast with a bitter chemical note. It’s a complex smell, but I would describe its intensity as only mildly dank. Its real strength was excellent resin production, potency, and dense keefy flowers.
I guess the bitter smell kind of hinted at that potential for funky dank smells. When it was grown from seed its structure was more similar to the f2’s than this one grown from clone.
Here is a picture of the F cut currently in flowering.

Same mild toasty smell with a hint of bitter chemicals, as always.

Not sure how much longer I will keep this one. Clearly it makes good offspring, but with it’s mild bitter flavor it’s not the most exciting thing to smoke. On the other hand, the buds are coated in resin and get keef everywhere when you handle them. Maybe a few more cycles…

24 Likes

@zephyr it’s looking AMAZING in here! Got me reading and thinking! Blessings!!!

8 Likes

Thanks Zion! I usually don’t document my grows from start to finish, or take this many photos,
so it’s really cool to get some positive feedback and to hear that it’s been informative.

I’ll try to keep up this level of documentation.

9 Likes

quick guava update-

Looks like both of the Guava “F” f2 females are ready for harvest. I’ll try to get some good photos of the harvest. I’m chopping these first thing tomorrow morning.

In terms of harvest timing, these seeded females are ready on 11/17, and started flowering on 10/1. that’s 48 days. Pretty quick for seeded bud.

If I had been growing these sinsemilla, they would have been ready to harvest around november 9th. So for sinsemilla, I’d estimate I could harvest these guava “F” f2 females in just over 40 days.

By my standards, that’s blazingly fast.

When I checked on the plants today I actually found that one branch on each of them had a small bud which had died off. Specifically, it looks like the only 2 branches that I missed when I was cleaning the pollen off of the female plants. These were the 2 dirtiest buds.

I pulled those sections, and found that the die-off was caused by dropped male flowers trapped inside the buds. The buds are crazy dense. They had been quite healthy as recently as a day and a half ago, but as soon as they were fully ripe and ready to die off, they immediately decayed because of being in contact with the dead plant matter of the old male pods. No indication of mold or anything, just overripe plant matter that died off.

This strain is particularly efficient in dying as soon as it is fully ripe, especially when seeded. This is a lot like what Lefthand was talking about earlier, another case of buds that ripen faster than the seeds.

It makes harvest timing kind of difficult.

Looks like the f2s from the guava “B” aren’t quite ready yet.

10 Likes

That’s quite the short time frame looking forward to having a few in the garden nice switch from the long flowering Sativa’s .

4 Likes

Outdoor-
I finished harvesting my outdoor at the end of the first week in november. I still have about 7 trays and platters full of dry outdoor buds waiting to be trimmed. It may be dry enough to go straight into jars. I don’t usually do a dry trim with outdoor plants, unless they are very very healthy.

This was my female lineup-
Guava B clone
strayfox care package
lebanese sinatra f1 (dank sinatra f1 x lebanese)
lebanese sinatra f2 “donut shop”
2017 lebanese “pink”
2017 lebanese “green”
original RSC Lebanese stock

These are all open pollinated by my 2017 preservation lebanese “pink” and lebanese “green” males.

And to clarify my notation, the “pink” and “green” are the names of the 2 selected 2017 mothers that had the most desirable growth characteristics for outdoor growing in the U.S.

The “green” had green buds with some albino coloration and orange pistils. The smell was hoppy and citrusy, almost exactly like an ipa beer. in the background there are hints of plain yogurt and wood glue.

The “pink” had green buds with iridescent pink pistils. The smell was like figs, cedar, and a hint of tart red berries, possibly cranberry.

I lost one of the care package plants to mildew, total loss. I didn’t try to save it because I had enough healthy flawless plants it just wasn’t worth it.

The other care packages were completely untouched by the mildew and totally healthy.

I had minor spots of environmental bud rot on the lebanese sinatra f2 donut shop plants because the buds were too dense. It was easy to remove unhealthy buds as problems showed up, so the plants stayed pretty healthy over all.

Everything finished pretty well.

I’ll post some brief smoke reports soon. Most of it still needs to cure for while, but the stuff that I harvested in mid october was ready to sample.

16 Likes

guava F f2 chop

some quick harvest photos for the “F” mother f2’s. As an aside, I’m never using letters for plant labels again. “F” f2 is too many f’s, but it’s too late to change it now.

Both females were vining all over the place, woven through the other plants trying to find the best light. The buds are uncommonly dense, and the vining didn’t cause any problems. I’m really ok with this trait if it helps me get better yields in an overcrowded tent with too much light competition.

I turn the lights off the night before harvest, the basic goal is to keep the powerful CMH from cooking off the volatile oils.

This is the onion smelling F female on the left. Currently trimming this one. The onion smell is still there but it’s a little less intense. Now it’s more like an equal blend of garlic and rose.

This is the spicy smelling F female on the right.

I left a couple lower branches on each plant. More details to follow.

20 Likes