Zephyr grows and creates

I got the obama clone from archive’s dispensary. The genetics are mendocino purps x bubba kush. archive says the strain was bred by nspecta of csi humboldt, and the clone pheno is nspecta’s official selection.

The obama seeds from csi were s1’s of this cut.

Archive dispensary is really cool. They showed us a “clones from other breeders” spreadsheet that they kept behind the counter with the basic information about the genetics and breeders of the cuts they stock.

Yeah it showed up around 2009 or so. It did pretty well in the bay area, as purps always do. The high was a good balance between purple and kush, nice happy upbeat relaxing bud. Grapier flavor than kush. sometimes finishes green, sometimes finishes purple. Nice white resin.

Flower could be harsh if it wasn’t grown well. quality can be very high if it was treated right, nice potent smooth hitting bud.

haha yeah… It’s not scandal related but this is one of the few times that I have a potential name for the hybrid ready to go before the seeds are even made.

The tentative name is
obama x ethiopian afghani = choom gang

That’s what obama called his high school crew of stoner buddies

14 Likes

a few more photos from the veg tent-

here’s the ethiopian paintbrush omg #10 selected resinous male. This is the standout resinous male that I have posted pictures of before.

It’s doing very well. There is a little bit of light burn from one of the vertical lights.

Because I needed to keep these around for a while during the other rounds of selective breeding, these males were bonsaid in 1 or 2 gallon pots for a few months, and were recently transplanted into 5 gallons. The 10 didn’t mind the bonsai treatment.

This is the #5 male, looking like some kind of Dr. Seuss plant.
It’s doing ok, but it’s still recovering from its bonsai treatment in the small pot.

This one grows very aggressively. It’s looking better after pruning, and definitely happier with more root space. it’s greening up nicely, and recovering pretty well. This plant is a few months older than the ten. It’s next in line for the upcoming round of selective breeding.

14 Likes

And a photo of the clone forest-

I’ve got about 3 of everything. One of each ethiopian female is going outside, and two are staying inside. One for the next round of selective breeding with the 5, and the other to be the next mother plant in veg.

After clones from those mothers are rooted, the mothers will be flowered and used for selective breeding with the #10.

14 Likes

Good name, no explanation necessary haha. I thought it was cool that nobody cared that he was a stoner and didn’t have to lie about “not inhaling” like Clinton did. Seemed like we were moving forward and instead we’ve taken a huuuuuuge step back; maybe not weed-wise, but in a lot of other ways…

I read that and was like,”2009? Nahhh, it wasn’t that long ago.” Then I remembered exactly where I was living and who I was living with when I got that Obama, did the math and realized,”Holy shit, it was that long ago…” haha.

Gawddamn…

Ah, okay, so a reversed Bubba for the dad? I guess it makes sense that CSI was involved then haha. Still, those genetics crossed with a lil’ Ethiopian might make for some really nice “hybrid vigor-ish”-type plants.

So you’re liking the dispensary itself, the clones and everything, but not what they’re doing with their seed lines and stuff? Just curious. I remember you not being particularly thrilled with some of their shenanigans.

9 Likes

Yo, did you manage to snag any clones from that plant?

2 Likes

yeah that about sums it up. archive seeds is basically a separate entity than the dispensary. The dispensary is in the legal rec system, and the seed company isn’t.

The dispensary staff are good. they do a good job with viroid screenings and plant health to meet olcc testing requirements.

A lot of the stuff on their menu doesn’t interest me, but they usually have one or two options for more classic lines like the blueberry. I have been able to get cuts from them that were very usuable for my goals breeding hybrids alongside other preservation projects.

With well known lines like blueberry, obama, and the pinseoul goji, I know what medicinal attributes I can expect from the mother plants.
I can include their cuts in my outdoor grow or breeding projects without worrying about problems with plant health, pests, or hermaphrodism.

I really appreciate that they offer clones all year round.
All the other places that carry clones here have scaled back to only have them seasonally from around april to august. it makes planning grows difficult, and their stocks are very inconsistent.

about archive seeds,
I just don’t get what they are going for with their hybrids or selections. I’ve grown 3 or 4 selected clone onlys of their in house lines, and I don’t get what their goals are for the growth traits or the highs. The highs from everything made with the faceoff seem really similar, sedative and one note. It’s possible it’s just not a good fit for my grow methods and produces unspectacular results in my organic soil.

They put an emphasis on sweet smell and sweet flavor, which makes the experience from a lot of their strains seem very similar regardless of genetics.

the archive dispensary provides a very valuable service. It’s the only actual plant nursery that is licensed to sell directly to consumers. The other nurseries now only sell to dispensary retailers.

I don’t like getting clones from retailers because you never know how they have been handled or cared for between the plant nursery and delivery to you. A lot of dispensaries let customers touch the clones, which is a terrible idea and a recipe for mites and mold.

(the worst thing I’ve seen in a dispensary here was at a dispensary called ‘rip city buds’ on the first day of legalization. Two women walked into the dispensary with melty ice cream cones, said they had never seen a weed plant before, and asked to touch all the clones. The budtender didn’t give a shit, and they proceeded to handle every clone on the shelf, getting melted ice cream on everything. fortunately, that dispensary closed after just a few months of operation. customers should never be allowed to touch buds or clones, it’s not medical quality if it has been handled by the public. It’s technically illegal for consumers to touch a jar or buds in a dispensary here. No one wants to inhale bacterially contaminated bud.)

I think my gold standard dispensaries are still harborside oakland and sparc patient resource center in sf. Harborside had the best clone selections I have ever seen, and very healthy plants. Cuts that now sell for hundred or thousands of dollars were twelve bucks each at harborside. The prices in the medical system were so cheap compared to prices after rec legalization.

clones from archive can be $80 which still seems high to me, but understandable with the taxes and testing requirements in the legal market.

14 Likes

From the males? This is probably the last round for the #5 male. I’ll clone the #10 male again after it grows some more branching.

9 Likes

I sure do miss when Harborside was a medical dispensary. There and Berkely Patient Group, which I lived down the street from for years. I think we were both in that area around the same. What a wonderful time that was!

9 Likes

This is the one you gave me, correct? The resin on him was pretty awesome! Will be cool to see what happens in some of the crosses… looks like BH Church, BH7, SC Blue Dream, SSH F3 10, Giesel, Sour Diesel branches have a good lil bit of beans in there. I can drop them by to you whenever is good… they’re still hanging in the drying room.

Yeah agree with everything you’ve said. The way Archive is structured is weird… they’re trying to be vertically integrated in everything… from seeds, to clones, to flower, to hash rosin, to vape pens, to clothing, trying to make money in every sector of the market. I think the clones come from BurnsideCollective (who may have been bought up by Archive), but they’re always in really good shape, and the staff at the dispo does at least seem knowledgable about what they’re selling there.

lol @ seeing people touching clones and getting ice cream on them… they didn’t know it, but they were just making the next hype Ice Cream Cake cross :stuck_out_tongue: Nah, it’s scary to see some dispensaries setup like that… I’ve seen some of that myself.

13 Likes

Right. I understand haha, I was really just kinda curious. It’s good to know that Archive is at least maybe dealing with legit strains.

I know, man, that really, really pisses me off. And not even because I want any of those clones (or any clones); it’s just more of the same “big business attitude” kinda bullshit, the way Radio Ridge and Dark Heart and pretty much every sorta “clone vendor” switched to that business model. It’s super-irritating and gross, so good to hear that at least some places are still vending to us plebs.

I mean, on the one hand I get it. If they were all still open to The Public, they’d probably get 10,000 orders a day, only one percent of which would actually get picked up, just because people are flaky. Still, though… I dunno. It seems kinda shitty to me.

I remember looking at their menu like fifteen years ago and drooling, all like,”Yes… One day, I will grow…” haha.

We haven’t been up there in a long time, but yeah, I love sparc just for their weed, always make it a point to stop in when we’re in SF. I like the Tenderloin location, but that’s just me haha.

11 Likes

@nube these are the hybrid I made with your schwaggy seeds (green crack x chocolate trip) crossed to the china cangshan mountain. I’m calling it Firecracker.

unfortunately these both tested as males and I won’t be able to use them for anything right now. You can see they have a nice branchy structure and vigorous growth. (and quick root development- they are already getting rootbound even at this size.)

My friend (who also grew the green crack chocolate trip in 2021) grew the firecracker hybrid last year, and got two really nice females.

One was similar to the green crack chocolate trip with narrower leaves, better mildew and bud rot resistance, and more heady sativa effect.

the other was stretchier taller and sparser like the chinese, but finished quickly like the green crack chocolate trip. the high has the bright mild trippyness of the chinese, with a little bit more thc potency.

Basically it turned out exactly like we were hoping it would.

I need to make f2’s of this one to really get enough stock to work with. ideally I’d like to select the line in two different directions from there. heady green crack sativa, and quick finishing chinese hybrid.

15 Likes

That’s right, it’s the same male. This is what he looks like in veg. You can see it has the dense internodes and apical christmas tree structure of the OMG with narrow sativa leaves from the ethiopian.

The high from vaporizing the concentrate and the hash edibles from the resinous male was like a warm comfortable dreamy cerebral sativa. I definitely got some mild psychedelia from it. especially in edible form which was great because normally edibles just knock me out or make me feel dizzy. This was probably the best high I’ve ever had from edibles and definitely the most comfortable and controllable. I was able to take much higher edible doses than usual without any discomfort or ‘hangover’ the next morning.

I’m very very excited about these hybrids. These matchups are just perfect fits for the ethiopian. Let’s meet up this upcoming week if you have time.

11 Likes

Ethiopian afghani nectarine pheno buds
Bodhi’s Ethiopian banana x old mother afghani

I call this clone nectarine. Some of the plants from this tester made sterile late flower bananas, but this pheno is rock solid.

The flowers smell like a ripe nectarine, and after cure it develops some meyer lemon zest.
Perfect for my medicinal needs. The high is amazing, it seems like there’s no limit, and it reliably feels awesome every time.

Lots of great stone fruit, berry, and tropical fruit smells with the ethiopian x omg hybrids.

I got stone fruit smells from several phenos. particularly this nectarine #6 and pheno #1 from the same pack, and the cherry pheno of the ethiopian paintbrush x omg.

21 Likes

Yeah I think that the OMG male carries a lot of lemon in it. The one plant I grew with it (madre azul) is just super lemon. Love the high it brings too - euphoric creeper indica that isn’t too sleepy. Planning to try out more from the OMG soon, I really like the madre azul.

11 Likes

That sounds incredible :100: Wish you lived down the street :laughing:

5 Likes

I definitely agree. Strayfox care package with krush narrowleaf afghani and omg in the genetics had the wildest lemon juice and cedar wood smell.

I love the OMG male because the fruit and citrus notes smell like real fruit. Not the more common artificial or candy type smells.

One of the ethiopian paintbrush x omg females smells exactly like rainier cherries, and the other smells exactly like fresh strawberries.

The other OMG tester that I grew was goji raz f2 x omg. The best female smelled like vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries and a squeeze of lime juice.

I grew that cut for a couple years too. I still have a couple seeds left of that tester, I should pop them soon.

13 Likes

Interesting note on enhancing other fruit flavors too. Kind of like squeezing lemon juice on a peach or something to make it taste more pungent.
Rainier cherries - now that sounds awesome, they’re so good haha.

10 Likes

Thanks for this description. Sounds devine. I hope Bodhi releases that one.

Is that one released as Strawberry Mama? Very under-reported strain if so. My mistake, that was Strawberry Milk x OMG. Very close genetically.

Question for you @zephyr You have more experience w the OMG male strains. Does it add a body-effect like trad. Indicas? Thanks!

I’m hoping the OMG male would be a bit “headier” than most indicas due to ample Limonene. And be less “stony” than the G13 HP male can add.

11 Likes

My limited experience with omg with old soul is it’s way more of a cerebral heady hybrid effect high then more of the traditional narcotic Stoney body high indicas bring

12 Likes

Sorry for the slow reply. I have a hard time making generalizations because each hybrid is so unique. But there are definite common factors and smells.

It’s definitely heady. But the medicinal qualities for the body are great. Transparent pain relief without inducing extraneous sensations. All of the omg hybrids I have grown have been very medicinal.

not a sedative broadleaf type afghani, but a heady narrowleaf style afghani.

Bodhi has described omg as a heady narrow leaf afghani.
Not all the way in the rare afghani sativa category, but a much headier indica than the sedative broadleafs.

Think of the heady afghani’s with small 5 finger leaves and a christmas tree or candelabra structure. Like a standout version of something in that vein.

16 Likes