Zephyr grows and creates

Thank you for this. Sounds awesome. I love Afghan body effects but don’t want to have to nap (after medicating) during the day.

8 Likes

ethiopian paintbrush x omg afghani
male #3 selective breeding

This was about 3 weeks ago.
the #3 male was chopped about a week later. The flowers are still going, but you can see it has already used up and dropped most of its leaves.

Here’s a photo of the whole canopy

I tried to get some photos that differentiate the plants:

ethiopian paintbrush afghani cherry pheno at the front
and Ken Estes berry larry 4 peeking out on the far right

at the back fo the tent,
that’s the ethiopian banana x omg nectarine pheno in the middle of the frame.

ethiopian paintbrush afghani strawberry pheno is pretty much hidden behind the male.

22 Likes

Looks to be some nice big buds in the making room has to be smelling good by now?

12 Likes

thanks shiska. There’s definitely an ambient skunky smell in the room. Actually stronger than usual for my grow. Particularly noticeable when I get up in the morning, and after waterings.

The male stem rubs and resin smell like woody cedar carpentry wood glue with sweet citrus. But the ambient smell of the flowering males from this strain is like briney olives.

It’s interesting that the stem rubs and resin rubs with all of these females smell like fruit, but there’s an ambient skunky aura in the general vicinity, that gets stronger the longer they are in flowering.

(That’s always how it goes though. When I lived in San Francisco it reeked like skunk at my front door, but when you went out to backyard with the plants it just smelled sweet and herbal.)

When the lights turn off the ethiopian afghanis make a strong pungent smell.

I find it interesting the way cannabis plants seem to release different smells in response to photoperiod. Almost all of my plants make a very specific smell in response to any photoperiod interruption. If there is a power outage or if I unplug a light, they make this pungent vegetal stink. I think of it as an ‘angry plant’ smell.

One time I caught a deffective ballast (bad capacitor causing the light to shut off randomly) because I smelled the angry plants from my living room.

Those are my high thoughts for the morning.

18 Likes

I was gonna kind of comment on this, but then you addressed it a little further down haha. I mean, I have no theories for why that might be, but I’ve definitely noticed the same thing. A lot of times when I’m in the driveway walking to my front door, I’ll smell my grow and it smells like just a sorta skunky “classic cannabis” smell, despite the fact that none of my plants ever actually smell skunky haha.

Pretty interesting, though. I’m sure there’s some sort of science that explains that phenomenon, but I’ve never looked into it. Maybe I’ll do that today… haha.

That’s funny.

11 Likes

i might be talking about things you guys already know, but i believe its because of the VSC (Volatile Sulfur Compounds like 321MBT or VSC3 ) its what was found to give that “skunky” smell, that you can also get from hops (which also contain VSC). they evaporate like a terpene with certain temperatures so youll smell them separate from terpenes (theyre different compounds, thats why when you get closer to the terpenes, you dont get the VSC smell).

I remember Vernal used to go on about RKS being bullshit and that all cannabis smells skunk at some distance… thats why.

16 Likes

I find this really interesting too! Besides the normal stink they have coming from all their terpenes, I for sure notice that vegetal, almost cut-grass smell, when my lights go out, or even if I have to turn them off to move stuff around for whatever reason. Amazing that they can respond so quickly. There’s definitely something to that smell… I know when grass is being cut, it’s a stress response smell from the grass… The smell of freshly-cut grass is actually a plant distress call

But I don’t know if that’s really the case with cannabis or not?

Awesome that you caught a faulty ballast that way though!

11 Likes

one and a half months later:
she grew up big. here’s the pdx lion in preflower.

photographed 1 week ago.

PDX Lion =
ethiopian banana omg #6 Nectarine x (portland durban hybrid)

extremely vigorous. some of the fan leaves are the size of large dinner plates. That’s a 60 gallon pot for scale.

I love it when a late addition to the garden catches up to or exceeds the growth of plants that have been outdoor since spring.

Looks like it quickly filled its rootspace, then set to work flowering.

16 Likes

this is what my outdoor cannabis companion plant pots look like:
lemon balm, oregano, and wild california poppies. the bees love this combination.

Birds love the lemon balm too- the patches attract huge flocks of tiny songbirds that pick through the lemon balm eating its tiny seeds.

My garden also has a rabbit (or several) living here, which is pretty unusual in the city. Thought I got a nice photo of one, but turned out I forgot to put a memory card in the camera haha.

21 Likes

Looking good, is that a passionflower? The leaves look different but the flower looks on point.

10 Likes

Yeah she did. Holy fuck, I love that plant haha. She’s gotta be in full-on “flower mode” at this point, right?

Wait, what am I looking at above? There’s only one pic.

The companion plants look super-nice, though… haha.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is, but you’re right that the leaves are unusual. I couldn’t tell you anything more than that, because the plant came with the garden.

That’s the pdx lion, same plant as the little seedling.
sorry about that, thought the seedlng picture was labeled. that is a little confusing.

10 Likes

Oh, okay, so the the PDX Lion is the

Sorry, I definitely got confused haha. I thought you were talking about two different things.

I do love the way she shot up like that, though. Pretty awesome.

10 Likes

Yeah she’s going. But it’s still early in the game for this plant.
My indicas are much farther along at this point. Obama kush looks like it might be ready soon.

It’s interesting.
My friend planted PDX lions in the ground in spring, and his plants grew to the exact same size. With the additional veg time, those plants have tons of nodes on all the branches and some shoots growing out of the large branches.

So the extra 4 months of veg time gave it wayyy more bud sites, but all the PDX lions are the same size and similar structure.

9 Likes

That is interesting. So it sounds like she shoots up and then kinda decides,”This is as tall as I wanna get.” She stays relatively short, in other words, despite the super-fast initial stretch? That’s cool. Right? Haha.

8 Likes

this weekend I harvested and trimmed the berry larry #4 (goji og x larry og x gdp) seeded with ethiopian paintbrush afghani #3. Great smell (red berries, fennel, hint of gasoline), flecks of purple, dense buds, perfectly ripened seeds.

I also pulled and trimmed the first obama. also seeded with ethiopian paintbrush afghani. really nice resin production, smells like ‘greatest hits of bay area dank’ circa 2010. Sweetness from the mendo purps, and dankness from the bubba. Large dark glossy seeds. This is the one that started flowering prematurely, and then got a little bit reveggy, but never actually stopped flowering. Definitely my earliest outdoor harvest in this garden.

17 Likes

berry larry #4 live resin concentrate made with fresh frozen trim

23 Likes

Nice. How’s it smoke?

7 Likes

Really nice. Good mild gdp / kush flavor. Perfectly smooth. Vaporizes cleanly with no residue.

Really comfortable og type high. very medicinal. Relaxing but clear, not muddled or sedative. Excellent transparent pain relief without causing other physical sensations. Right in that og kush goldilocks zone.

As you can see from the color this is a pretty pure extraction.
No dark clorophyl color or green flavor. That’s really the thing that makes the berry larry so great for live resin. The bud and trim seems to have a very low water content compared to other strains. But most importantly, no green clorophyl comes out during the extraction process. Only a little bit of purple pigment. The alcohol extraction always comes out pale yellow, sometimes with just a hint of purple.

Clorophyl is grassy, a little bitter, and generally makes the concentrate slightly harsher. The purple pigment (anthocyanin) doesn’t cause the extract to hit harsh or leave residue. I’ve actually had batches come out red or purple, and they smoke / vaporize very well.

By comparison, I extracted the obama with the same process, and the alcohol came out candy apple green. As it evaporated, there was just a little bit of residual water at the end present in the extraction from the water content of the leaves.

The finished hash isn’t as dark as I was expecting, but it has a slightly grassy flavor. It still hits ok, but it leaves some residue. I will leave the batch in the pyrex for a few more days for an open air cure. as it offgasses the clorophyl should start to break down. Sometimes that improves batches like this.

I definitely look for plants that make good live resin, but I don’t necessarily count that as a strike against the obama at this point. It just means it needs a shorter extraction time, or it’s better suited for extraction when the bud is dry.

Next time I do the obama live resin I’ll try a quicker wash.

17 Likes

I see carnitas and now I want tacos​:joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes