Zephyr grows and creates

bodhi’s Pinesoul goji og live resin
(think I posted this in the bodhi thread but forgot to post it here)

The pinesoul is really starting to grow on me. The high of the concentrate seems more refined after a short cure.

Really uncommonly strong smelling. It really retains its terpene content, even in concentrate. as I described somewhere else, the concentrate has a fruity dankness and bitterness almost like a slightly burnt dried goji berry. reminds me of this goji granola I used to get.

The bud is even stronger smelling, and the smell has become more complex. It started off pretty sweet and fruity with a strong bitter dankness in the background that was recognizably og. As it cured over a month or two of burping the jars, it’s a little less sweet, and it has developed a definite pine or juniper smell. Initially I wasn’t really seeing the name, but now I get it.

I think the very strong terpene profile is the main reason this cut is so well regarded, but it is very potent. My mmj caregiver isn’t good at picking out smells, but he said that the seeded pinesoul bud was equal to or stronger than the strongest smelling clone he had grown.

I think the pinesoul x ethiopian afghani is very promising - two very resinous and strong smelling plants, and the ethiopian genetics should introduce cbd and trace cannabinoid production to the pure thc profile of the pinesoul.

@iamyou_youareme did those cangshan x pinesoul fem seeds turn out for you?

the cangshan is such an unpredictable plant. the past two years it struggled to produce ripe seeds by harvest when it was pollinated by the pure cangshan in 2021, and when it was pollinated with isp 91 dragons [(chinese helan mountain broadleaf x 70s hawaiian) x (chem 91 bx with 70s afghani).

But the seeds from this years chinese x ethiopian afghani pollination ripened crazy fast, so quickly they fully burst out of the calyxes. I was really surprised.

I had been harvesting by november 15th, but this year I harvested most of it 2 weeks ago, and pulled the last cola on friday. the bud was on the early side but I would’ve lost the seeds if it went any later.

20 Likes

How many runs have you done with pinesoul pretty sure I’m going to be getting a cut if it works out excited to try that one will be real nice indicator to look for pinesoul leaners for when I run soulfood and soulmate I imagine that’s where oldsoul gets it’s super rich terpenes still after a year they are very strong even thinking of finding a male in some Gogi f2 im getting sent that he selected some Gogi f1s that leans to the pinesoul side of to make some pinesoul selection of gogi f3 think it could be a fun project your pinesoul live resin looks delicious!

9 Likes

this is my first year growing the pinesoul. I grew two clones of it outdoor, planted about a month apart. clone 1 harvested about 2 weeks before the other. Quick finisher outdoors. I definitely recommend it.

I’ve liked everything I’ve grown with the goji so far.
With my medical focus, I don’t always seek out very high thc plants like this. But compared to other cuts with very high thc testing results that look good on a dispensary menu, this one has a great high and more medicinal value. Definitely good for pain relief.

For me, it’s a great cut to use for hybrids with low thc landraces and heirlooms, to make lines with a good balance between thc and cbd / trace cannabinoids.

especially stuff like the hybrid iamyou is making with the euphoric and somewhat psychedelic but low thc chinese sativa. That’s exactly the kind of thing I had in mind for this.

I think the pinesoul will be great for your goji og line breeding project. This pinesoul pheno is a great secimen of peak terpene and thc production within the goji line.

You made me realize I should cross the pinesoul with my berry larry (goji og x [larry og x granddaddy purple]) for a more goji leaning incross.

very high on blueberry and strong coffee, so hopefully these long posts are making sense haha

18 Likes

hopefully! The Cangshan was made to withstand the elements, no doubt… I’ve had a few spots of mold pop up, but she’s still outside growing in mid-november…

I hope the seeds turn out… I think I can see premature ones in there, so I’m going to let her go a little bit longer… I’m sure the cold and rainy weather is not helping her develop them.

That Pinesoul extract looks great… I’ve not had much time to sample that one yet, but you’re right about the terpene content, I think that’s one of her strong points. She does really well in cure… I hope to dig into the jar soon and write up something.

18 Likes

I have really liked every Gogi cross I’ve grown so far not been the most potent but puts me in a real nice calming zen space makes my mind stop racing 100 miles a minute great to hear it has some pain relief qualities

This makes a lot of sense that might be why I think it pairs to omg in the old soul cross so well I’m along the same lines of thinking that it would be nice for landrace and heirlooms if I like the cut might explore crossing it to some Mexican varieties or something along those lines

I love what @iamyou_youareme is doing with pinesoul his whole lineup of crosses sounds like it could produce some real winners excited to see what comes of them

Thanks for the response makes lots of sense :call_me_hand: enjoy that blueberry :blueberries:!

11 Likes

That’s looking nice, I think the resin production is above average.

this is the first year that I’ve had any mold on the cangshan, I had some bud rot peppered through the large colas on the cangshan 2. Number 1 held up better though.

It’s definitely been a tough season for that overall. I think in my case washing the buds down with the hose to rinse off that sawdust was the main factor.

I’ve harvested the cangshan as late as thanksgiving, keep an eye on it but don’t be afraid to push it as long as the weather remains above freezing. you’ll be able to tell when it runs out of steam.

Mine have even gone through some frosts, although I don’t particularly recommend it. The bud held up but all the seeds that were still immature stopped developing after the freeze. The mature seeds were totally fine, but I didn’t get any additional ripe seeds after that point.

It should be able to tolerate some light morning frosts if you need it to, but I think a whole day or night below freezing is too much.

15 Likes

China cangshan #1 live resin concentrate

in the past I have done a long extraction for a full spectrum style concentrate similar to rso.

This time I did a short less than 1 minute extraction to get a pure live resin concentrate

Came out very well. hits smooth and vaporizes cleanly, very euphoric, very medicinal. the flavor is very mild.

I made another batch with a 2 to 3 minute extraction. it also came out well. the longer extraction got more smell and flavor in the concentrate. a woody savory flavor.

darker color than the quick wash. I think the quick wash pays off because the yield wasn’t much higher with the longer extraction time.

Here’s a side by side comparison of both batches

17 Likes

What vaporizer do you like to use? Those live resin pictures make me drool every time wish I could give um a taste :joy:

8 Likes

What’s this “extraction” that you speak of? Haha. Seriously, though, what’re you talking about here? This isn’t ice water hash and it isn’t rosin, either, right? I really do have no idea what I’m looking at.

But it looks good! Haha.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure (hope I’m remembering correctly) that Zephyr told me he uses alcohol (everclear or similar) to extract and then lets the alcohol evaporate off. I’ve never tried this method, but I’m gonna give it a shot after seeing these photos… plus, I still have like half a bottle of ever clear I was using to make tincture.

11 Likes

@iamyou_youareme Yea it works great super easy just look up QWET or QWISO extraction, it’s what I do besides dry sift, or to clean dry sift and solidify it when I don’t hot roll it temple ball style

8 Likes

that’s exactly right. I keep things as simple as possible. It’s a food grade alcohol everclear extraction at freezing temperatures, with fresh frozen or dry bud and trim.

here’s a quick rundown of the recipe:
Freeze everclear and a mason jar of bud / trim for 12 to 24 hours.
Pour frozen everclear into a frozen mason jar of frozen trim/bud. Wrap it in a dish towel to insulate it. Shake it for a duration of 30 seconds up to 5 minutes (extraction time depends on the strain and phenotype). Then filter it through an organic unbleached coffee filter into a pyrex baking pan.

Then I evaporate the alcohol in the pyrex with a fan blowing over the surface. evaporating at room temperature avoids cooking off the volatile oils and terpenes.

I use this old school ‘honey oil’ method because it produces reliable and safe meds with the least physical labor.

Always use food grade alcohol, not isopropyl or industrial grade ethanol. In the prop 420 prop 215 california medical system, food grade alcohol concentrates were considered to be the safest option for cancer patients and patients with compromised immune systems.

This is a very traditional method taught to me by an old dealer from a prop 215 collective that I was a member of.

I’ve been told that people have been using this basic recipe in san francisco since the 1940s. tincture was a common traditional home remedy with the latin community in the mission neighborhood. after the prohibition of marijuana made common over the counter drug store medicines containing cannabis illegal, people started making their own tincture.

in the 50s it was common for people to sell rolled joints on the street.
Dealers would dip the rolled joints or papers in tincture, then let the alcohol evaporate. This was a simple way to add potency. The tincture was made with the stem and leaf that the dealers pulled out when they rolled up the joints with the flower. people called these golden joints or scorpions.

I think it’s cool that this recipe basically shows the history of cannabis in california. from traditional mexican herbal remedy to patent medicine, to prohibition in the late 30s, to imported street drug in the 1940s, to homegrown in the 60s, back to medicine in the 90s with the prop 420 and prop 215 medical system.

and now back to recreational drugs and patent medicines with legalization hahaha.

edit-

Looking back, one of the cool things about the prop 215 collectives in the bay area / northern california was all the local stories and history from the 60s and the black market era. Like any oral history there are probably some innacuracies but I like to share those stories here.

I think with recreational legalization, there is much more incentive for new players to distance themselves from the history and traditional stigma of the black market, and to disassociate their brands and images from the cultural revolution that introduced cannabis to the masses. People are too eager to write their own narrative so they can have a blank slate that is more acceptable to the mainstream and corporate culture.

20 Likes

Man, @zephyr I really love hearing you talk about Prop 215 days and the history in California, that is a period of time that seems really under appreciated as when it all changed, in a lot of good ways that were lost (or actively killed, like caregiver arrangements, which I think are one of the biggest things missing from most legalization in most states)

6 Likes

Yeah, I read his post and halfway through it I was like,”Gawd, I love zephyr…” haha. Don’t you all just LOVE him?

Anyway, okay, that’s interesting about the method, @zephyr. I was wondering why you’d mentioned RSO when you were talking about your extractions, but now it makes sense, with the alcohol and stuff. Your way sounds much, much safer than the RSO method, though. Still probably have to be wary of open flames and shit, but the rice cooker thing with the RSO always made me a little, like,”Ummm, yeah, okay, I think I probably won’t try to make that…” haha.

8 Likes

I use a titanium enail with a small locally made disc perc bubbler bong. I keep the temperature on the low side compared to normal dabbing. never above 500 degrees. Usually between 400 up to 480 max. Temperature depends on the concentrates I am vaporizing, whatever gets the cleanest and most flavorful hits. I don’t want to have to cough, and I don’t want it to reach combustion temperatures.

The enail I use is made by a company called high5 vapes, but they are more expensive than they used to be. At the time they were the only made in usa enail with a good warranty under $100. I had to replace the coil after about 5 years, I think that was about $40. Good experience over all.

I’ve used different styles of these local boro farms rigs for the past 10 years or so.

I pretty much switched to concentrates only after a few years of bad wildfire smoke fucked up my throat. it’s easier on my body, and I just can’t enjoy the smell and flavor of smoke in the same way after that.

I still ocassionally smoke for certain medical needs though. Smoking is still the medically recommended intake method for intraocular pressure and eye pain.

13 Likes

I love concentrates actually switched to smoking mainly dabs for years before I started growing again need to get a press to start making my own haven’t used a enail for awhile now my sister has a puffco peak with a 3d chamber one of the nicest dabbing experiences can set the temp exactly and it keeps it steady I prefer low temp especially with a nice hash rosin or rosin

10 Likes

My plants are too dank!
I need an emergency carbon filter for these ethiopian paintbrush afghani. I’ve never needed to use one or set one up before.

Can anybody give me some tips on what I need? and how to set this up with my ventilation?

My tents have passive intake ducts on the side vent ports with simple hepa filters.

I run my inline exhaust fan set up inside the tent to reduce noise, it sucks the air out through a duct hose.

Can I just use a longer exhaust hose and attach a carbon filter to it outside of the tent?
Or will I need to make changes to my ventilation setup to use the filter?

Should I be getting filters for veg tents too, or is it only necessary for flowering plants?

being a personal medical grow I never worried about hiding the smell for stealth reasons, and never had a complaint. but now I’m surprised to suddenly be getting complaints about the smell.

please tag in anyone who might have the necessary expertise. I need a carbon filter brainstorm session.

15 Likes

Do you have to be totally undetectable, or just back to normal levels?

Assuming the filter will be in the same space that the tent already exhausts into, the biggest change will be added resistance, so lower volume of air movement. If you can turn your fan up and get the flow the same you should be good to go.

The stream of air from the filter will be more diffused than a open duct. So off right now the duct is open and blows the hot wire across the room, but you put the filter on the floor next to the intake, that’ll cause you problems too.

Your filter is only as good as your ducting in this case, so the whole run of ducting from the fan to the filter has to be sealed, and free of any holes. Otherwise you will just be blowing stinky air out of any leaks.

6 Likes

thanks potpotpot, that’s some really good information. I’ll make sure to use a new vent tube and get the seals tight at both ends with a metal gasket.

would the only problem be that it’s not dissipating the hot air effectively? like the hot air would linger around the tent?

7 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by a metal gasket, all the ducting I have used for grow ventilation has always been slip fit, sealed together with duck tape.

But yeah, my concern with having the filter sitting right next to the tent would be that there would be more stagnant air in the room outside the tent, more likely to recirculate warm air back into the tent. Depending on how your room is setup, it may not matter very much at all.

4 Likes