Zephyr grows and creates

@Ottafish I literally thought I was looking at a very light/white pulled pork at first too :laughing:

Zephyr you write the best reviews bud :100:

7 Likes

haha thanks guys! glad the hash is looking tasty.

here’s some of that red hash I was talking about,
people said this stuff looked like beef brisket haha

and this one kinda looks like bacon

21 Likes

Harvested an obama kush earlier this week.

Smallish round bush structure. Nice golfball buds with a jam jar sized cola. Dark leaves, light buds, hints of purple.

The flowers would have developed more purple if it could have ripened longer. These dense buds just wouldn’t have lasted in the rain.

Here it is dripping wet after a week of solid rain.

for scale, the buds are on an 11" by 17" baking sheet.

This is the damp and drippy pacific northwest, so I have to really break down everything I harvest outdoor into its smallest component nugs. Otherwise, it has no chance of drying. Especially when the bud is soaked with water like this. This is what the buds look like after getting broken down, with only the most resinous leaves remaining for more refined trimming later.

Any bud that is less than perfect gets shucked and separated for fresh frozen live resin hash. If it’s too wet, has a few flecks of dirt, a deceased gnat stuck in resin, feather stuck to a nug, etc… the flaw gets removed, and the rest of the bud gets broken down

All the nonresinous leaves get made into juice.

All the resinous material gets made in to fresh frozen hash.

Here’s another photo after processing it.

The plant was seeded with the bodhi ethiopian paintbrush afghani, and the seeds were ready. The seeds on that plate were plucked from the bud used for hash, then dried like that for a day so they could easily be remove from the calyxes. The seeds will dry on the mesh rack with the rest of the flower.

25 Likes

I was just lurking the what do stoners eat thread and then clicked yours seeing the update, this picture was the first thing that popped up and I thought to myself that looks like some yummy pulled pork. Seeing @Ottafish’s and @Gonzo’s comments put a smile on my face. Delicious looking hash. The red stuff looks exquisite too! Much love

4 Likes

It’s amazing how many critters show up when you sow a diversity of plants outside!
Doesn’t matter where you are, they seem to appear from thin air, it has baffled me too.
Great fun, and so simple, diversity of plants is all it takes to cause a huge chain reaction of life to expand, both underground and above ground.

5 Likes

here’s my annual pumpkin spider photo for the year

it was living in the first pinesoul I harvested, but I relocated it to the cangshan. If it stays it should be able to ride out the season on the cangshan. that won’t be ready to harvest until november.

looking up into the cangshan canopy

Ethiopian paintbrush omg #11 cherry
doing pretty nice considering how late it was put outdoor

pictures from last week

18 Likes

The first round of ethiopian omg selective breeding with male #3 is complete. All of the females were harvested. Tents cleaned and filters changed.

The next set of female clones has been in 12/12 for just over a week, once they preflower the next male will join them.

Here’s the fresh frozen live resin hash from the ethiopian paintbrush omg cherry

22 Likes

also posted this on the bodhi guide,

bodhi’s pinesoul goji og cut from archive

The ultra dense distinctly spaced smallish buds are pretty OG like.

this photo was a week ago. Here’s a photo of the top I just harvested from the same plant

some more trimmed pinesoul buds, harvested last week

these are seeded with ethiopian paintbrush afghani

27 Likes

A neighbor’s giant tree is getting cut down today. The crew is doing a good job, but I can see sawdust pouring down. All my plants are probably getting covered in fine sawdust. Potentially rendering everything left in my outdoor garden unsmokable.

I think I’ll still be able to make concentrate (which is filtered and should remove the particulates) but this is a bummer.

At least the garden will get more light now. and luckily, I was growing for seeds and hash this year, not sinsemilla flower.

Fortunately, I had harvested the top cola of the pdx lion yesterday so I should have some bud from that.

14 Likes

pdx lion
(ethiopian banana omg “nectarine pheno” x portland durban hybrid mount hood magic sativa)

this is the top. it’s been a dark and rainy bud season, so it got a little strechy and didn’t get as plump as I wanted. not bad though. This whole thing is 17 inches long.

this pheno is oddly reminiscent of trainwreck, both the smell and the look of the resin.

I think I got kind of an outlier here, another pheno in a friends garden is much more impressive. it looks more like a super yielding version of the golden bud ethiopian banana omg phenos. I’ll try to get a picture of his plant. all the hybrids with the mount hood magic were made in his garden, and everything he grew out from those crosses looks insane.

17 Likes

Ahh bummer man! I haven’t had much luck with my outdoor either… I chopped my large Blue Dream today, it was mostly covered in botrytis … the plants did not like that rain and then warming up and getting sun on them again a couple of times in a row. Everything is probably gonna end up in the compost pile.

The Cangshan is still hanging though! I tried to pollinate it with the reversed Pinesoul OG, we’ll see if any pollen took here in the next few weeks. Just starting to get a little resin on the buds, it’s a cooling looking plant!

Gotta look on the “bright” side!

That’s cool you were able to save that one. Is your Mt. Hood Magic still hanging?

12 Likes

that’s awesome. Those are like total polar opposites, not just in growth traits but in cannabinoid profiles. The pinesoul is pretty much all thc, and the chinese is low thc with high trace cannabinoid production. Could also be really good for outdoor growing.

Compared to something like pinesoul the cangshan has relatively low resin production, but the perceived potency can still be quite high. I’ve been breeding the cangshan with a lot of high resin production strains with this in mind. If we can get a similar cannabinoid content in a plant that produces 2x as much resin, that would be crazy. That also makes it an interesting match with the pinesoul.

That will be very interesting, I’m curious what that hybrid vigor is going to look like as a femenized hybrid.

I had to trash that mount hood magic female clone.
As it grew out more leaf sets I was still seeing some mite damage on new growth, so it had some stowaways from the dispensary. Being late in the season, there wasn’t enough time to get it healthy before flowering started, and I didn’t want to take any risk of introducing anything nasty into the garden.

Quarantine pays off once again. I may give that mount hood magic cut another try in spring if it’s still available.

11 Likes

Maybe once chopped, Wash those plants in water w some hydrogen peroxide. I know the exact ratio of liquids is in a thread here on OG.

I’m hoping the sawdust will float, or at least can be rinsed off of your plants.

5 Likes

Or you can decarb and eat your bud, it’s just a little extra fiber, it’s healthy. :nerd_face:
Or Rick Simpson oil?
Or perhaps tincture?

3 Likes

Definitely a passion flower. Any fruit on it yet? I don’t think that’s the one native to the US, but it’s possible.
Passiflora incarnata - likely

Love your spaces @zephyr. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

My big concern would be that sawdust made by a chainsaw is pretty much guaranteed to have bar oil in it. Not a lot, but it’ll be there. Would it hurt you? Idk.

5 Likes

Valid point, but the quantity would be very very very small.
There’s probably worse crap in our food these days.
Also we don’t know what’s in the rain, there’s trace amounts of toxins in rainwater as well I imagine.
THC gives our immunesystem a massive boost so it more than compensates.

4 Likes

All the plants were washed down several times with the “fan” setting on my hose sprayer, and it was fairly effective.

I gave the archive blueberry clone another wash with my sink sprayer after chopping it. it’s good enough to put on the drying rack after a wet trim to ensure it will dry quickly and evenly.

It’s heavily seeded so it will be made into hash. the seeds from the ethiopian open pollination look good. I’m excited to grow this one.

I think the ethiopian afghanis won’t even need the post harvest wash.

So in the end, the only plant that was a total loss was the PDX lion, which was closest to the tree. I harvested almost all of it but won’t be using the bud for anything, I will just shuck the seeds out of the fresh buds. The buds turned very purple in the last several days, and the smell developed into something more complex, which I haven’t yet put my finger on.

The rest will all be good enough to dry and turn into hash (it’s all heavily seeded).

my food grade alcohol honey oil is a similar process to rso, but with a much shorter extraction time. It gets filtered like rso, and hopefully that will catch any residual contaminants.

That’s a good thought. I’ll keep that in mind. it was mainly dust that drifted over my yard, all the bigger stuff fell over the neighbors yard. I don’t think there would be much transference of oil into this fine dust. but I’ll be inspecting everything carefully, and won’t use anything that doesn’t look fully clean.

12 Likes

Fortunately I already got a decent sample of the PDX lion already. I made a batch of live resin hash, and got a jar of dried flower. The dry flower smells better than it did fresh. Lemon / lime with a creamy vanilla background.

I wish I got to try it with a later harvest after the bud turned purple, I’m sure the effects would have been noticeably different than the first batch of live resin.

13 Likes

update from when I harvested the blueberry:

the archive blueberry came out well this year. No mildew (it is very susceptible). A couple of small tips on the lower branches lost to bud rot. No other problems. It was very dark and cold throughout budding season. it probably didn’t get enough light during flower which I think made the buds a little leafier than usual.

Resin production is very good, and the smell is amazing. It actually smells like real blueberries, ripe fruity and tart. It’s not like most blueberry that just smells floral or candy-like.

The blueberry x ethiopian paintbrush omg seeds ripened in time, and are looking good. This is the most blueberry-like blueberry I have found, and the ethiopian afghani is probably fruitiest weed I’ve ever seen with lots of stonefruit and exotic fruit type phenos. I think this hybrid has the potential for some crazy smelling fruity bud.

I’m looking forward to having blueberry hash again for my meds, hopefully it turns out well enough. Really helps with pain in my eyes and face. The hybrid with the ethiopian should produce some special meds.

current update-

I made a batch of blueberry live resin concentrate. dreamy and cerebral. it was nice to have those meds again. good for migraines and neuropathy pain.

the seeds from the blueberry x (ethiopian paintbrush afghani males) look good. I also got about an ounce of the seeded blueberry bud ready to be jarred up.

23 Likes