Zinc deficiency?

So I’ve managed to dial in a few strains in veg, and I’m now stuck with one last strain.

RO Water
710ppm Megacrop
5.8ph
Temp :
25 °C Day
22 Night

Lights : 240watt LED (Solstrips)
20" above

Usually 2-3days before she’s watered

The tips is something I’ve seen a few times when I grow, and always think it’s light burn. But leaning towards zinc?

5 Likes

It does look like it, it has the puckered look in between the veins. Might be the ph as you have the calcium problems as well.

4 Likes

Looks more magnesium def to me based on the yellowing margins as the micro deficiencies like zinc or molibedenum or similar are kinda grabbing at straws and it’s usually much simpler than that…

Are you in soil or coco? Better way to start off my “advice” lol than previous paragraph

6 Likes

It does look like zink but that’s not real common. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure your ph meter is reading correctly. If it were me I would up my ph to 6.5 and give them a good flush.

4 Likes

im going with k:ca:mg imbalance. straight up mag def would look worse by this point and bring a few other problems with it. megacrop is tailored to tap water iirc, you probably need to either add more ca and mg or try running tap water

3 Likes

Would depend on his medium as well… 5.8 is the low end for coco and ungodly low for soil but if pH was known to raise over a couple days in a res for dwc then 5.8 would be right around the ballpark…

But I’m still holding to Mag deficient… Seems like nothing a tbsp of epsom into a gallon of water won’t help fix in a few days

5 Likes

You sir are definitely correct I was just assuming soil

3 Likes

And I would be too but I just can’t see, do see ots a lady though lol

For soil I’d say you’re dead on for a starting pH reading, for coco I’d get closer to 6

2 Likes

PH meter is spot on, just double checked and re-calibrated it (do it once a month now)

I thought Mag issues would start from the bottom of the leaves and not the top? I do indeed have red stems though.

Ok. So guess I will mix up some feed now and flush her.

1tbsp per gal of epsom + MC to bring her upto 700ppm. Would it be advisable to ph at 6.0 as I will probably water her again in 2-3days?

2 Likes

Where does it show Calcium problems? Just need to know so I can figure these issues out sooner.

1 Like

I think he refers to ypur other thread,
in case you feed all your plants the same. If you keep one single grow diary all the info will be available and you can ask for help there too … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve got a grow diary :slight_smile: My other plants in veg are being feed the same, and all are doing great. I did post on my journal, much faster replies here.

This one I’m trying to dial in.

So I mixed 3.5 gallons and with just epsom salts alone looking at 1040ppm or so. Is that right? lol No other nutrients along with it?

2 Likes

Meh… Stem color is not only nutrient dependant, but strain and temperature as well… Red or purple stems as a factor for deficiencies is kinda wishy washy these days… Some plants will turn that red/purple anywhere the light hits it directly and stay green in shaded portions

3 Likes

Better do a foliar spray with Epsom salts when lights off … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Also… What’s your runoff ppm and pH? That could offer some insight as well

2 Likes

key missing point was gonna comment about.

2 Likes

Here is the runoff :

750ppm
6.05ph

Also a bit confused. I though mag was mobile, and issue would show at the bottom leaves. this seems to be at the top only

2 Likes

Wanted to see if anyone else noticed, but something to note is excess Potassium can cause mag, calcium and zinc deficiencies to pop up, and if you look at your leaf serrated tips on the bit older leaves you may note they have dark spots right at the serrations which is a sign before they start to burn which your new tips are already doing. Also you just hit them with high ec of bloom booster which you were running at a higher pH while cutting back on your main feed.

My guess is gonna be is the plant is still experiencing a partial lockout as one it just got a spike of potassium with your bloom booster, and its root zone or the plant itself is still running high pH wise, and if your only watering every 2-3 days its gonna take at least 2-3+ waterings if your not forcing a decent bit of run off for you to correct the root zone and whats in it, sure your ec may read the same but doesn’t mean whats coming out is the same as whats going in.

So next question how much run off are you getting ?

Honestly id continue with just the megacrop at that 710ppm and 5.8ish ph but try and force about 10-15% runoff of your pot volume on the next couple waterings while watching your pH and ec coming out, and maybe do a more forceful watering now with say 20% run off

Also trick to see bit more of whats happening in your root zone is you water decently but not to run off but then come back 10mins later and continue watering till you force some run off as that will pickup more of whats going on in your root zone as it has some time to sit, as if you just straight water to runoff right away sometimes the water coming out just passed through your pot not really picking up much along the way.

If the plants can take it and your media wont get too water logged you can do a force watering with some decent run off now using the trick above and do another reading.

8 Likes

also dont want to be the only one commenting :wink:

edit: which im not, but yeah

4 Likes

My plants in flower are doing well with what you told me to do! So thank you again, but this plant is one of my plants in veg and only receiving MC and I was running at 5.8ph as you suggested on my journal as general rule of thumb.

My run off has been 20% each time also.

I’ve been following this on all my plants in veg, and 3 strains are doing very well at that feed, so just trying to dial this one in but its proving to be difficult for me.

The reading of 6.0ph on runoff was just after I watered with 700ppm feed at 6.0ph with 120ppm of mag.

3 Likes