Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold, Wolfman, Holy Congo, Panamalawi x Angola and Mo

Oh man, I’m stoked on her. Just snapped these and they’re in 5 gallon fabric pots since Wednesday. They’re just about 6 weeks from sprout and going in the big tent in probably another week or so.

Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold (AG super pheno):

Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold pheno 2:

26 Likes

Shit, dude, I saw you mention that Killer A5 on the Dalat thread, wondered if you logged that and clicked on your topics to find out. Guess you didn’t, but I suppose this log will suffice… haha. Nice lineup for sure. I’m here for it.

2 Likes

Ha, thanks man I had to order the Ace gear from Mandala in Europe, so it took them about 3.5 weeks to get everything here, too late for this run.

I’ve got a perpetual setup going now, so in a little over a month I’ll be popping them and most definitely looking for a mother plant that I can work with. :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Man, killer selection of stuff here. I’m going to hang around and check stuff out. Sorry I’m late!

2 Likes

Alright, I got the perpetual setup going with the 4x4 for veg and 8x4 for flower and moved the babies in there with their 5 gal fabric pots a week and a half ago. Took clones of the Mextiza/Malawi bastard and the Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold super pheno.

Just flipped them Saturday night after much bending and training and now we’re rocking and rolling.

About 5 of the 8 feet so that by the time they stretch out I should have some happy trees:

Big Sur Holy Weed (Lemonhoko) x Congolese Black (Snowhigh):

Wolfman (TNF '95 Silver Haze x Vietnam Black/Nevil’s Haze):

Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold super pheno:

Mextiza/Malawi Bastard (Sour D x A5 or Vietnam Black x A5 father):

21 Likes

They all look good, but I’m reeealllyyyy digging that Zipolite Oaxacan x Acapulco Gold. Love the way the leaves look and she seems to have a ton of budsites, too. How many times did you top her? Or is she just super-trained and I’m not seeing it?

5 Likes

Thanks man and agreed! I don’t normally cut clones, but this thing has been a superstar, so I had to cut a few.

I popped two at the same time, both girls and this one has been praying non stop since it sprouted. I topped it only once, but this whole time it’s grown so fast and vigorous my buddy who came over said “It’s been growing like a clone but from seed” and he nailed it.

I hope it continues to rip during flower and the yield/smoke is excellent. If so, I’ll have clones for anyone that wants them :call_me_hand:

10 Likes

Oh, wow, that’s crazy. Did you top all of them only once? They all have a bunch of tops. No training at all? They’re just growing that way? That’s pretty cool.

4 Likes

Thanks man, so my style is to give them a ton of light from the time they’re seedlings, as much as they take without looking unhappy. I’ll have my sf-4000 at like 70% for the first week or so, by two weeks I’m generally at 100%. This consistently keeps the internodes short for me, so at the third set of true leaves, I top them just once. I’ll bend down the two main shoots to be the same height as the lateral shoots one node down, so I end up with the shape I’m going for, 4 mains with a bowl of buds in the middle, which helps make the equatorials and gnarly sativas manageable.

Like the Mextiza x Malawi Bastard that looks like this today:

Will probably end up looking like the Guerrero x Michoacan from Snowhigh I ran:

24 Likes

Haha, yeah, I was gonna comment on that one, too, but I figured I’d already expressed enough amazement.

So you do do a tiny bit of training. I may have to try your method out. I sprout all of my plants under full light, too (never understood that whole “starter lighting” idea) and then top when I transplant from my starter pots to the half-gallon veg containers, but that could be anywhere from the fifth node to the seventh. And then I usually just leave them be. I like the way your plants are looking, though, for sure, probably gonna try that out next run.

7 Likes

Yeah, after many decades of trial and error, that’s the way that works for me. When I say top after the third set of true leaves, I mean like when it’s 2 weeks old, not letting it get to 5 or 6 nodes and cutting it back. Topping so early gets the plant growing horizontally from the start. I also Transplant pretty frequently and focus on growing the roots, so I go from Solo-1gal-3gal-5gal, transplanting each time the leaves extend more than an inch beyond the edges of the pot. I let the soil get pretty dry between watering to keep the roots growing out to look for water. This also expands them horizontally in the soil by never getting rootbound. I heard a long time ago that the canopy size and node spacing are directly correlated to the size and shape of the root mass, and I’ve found that to be pretty true. :call_me_hand:

18 Likes

Yeah, I understood haha.

That’s interesting about the multiple transplants you do. I was just talking about the lack of root growth that always seems to happen after I transplant from the half-gallon veg pots into their seven-gallon pots, thought it might be because I do “three-inch starter pots/half-gallon/seven-gallon” and that maybe just starting them in the half-gallon pots might be the route to take. But it seems like multiple transplants are working for you, for sure. So now I have no clue haha!

4 Likes

Ha! Yeah I worded that wrong and wasn’t replying to you, but rather a lot of folks I see recommending vegging up to 5 or 6 nodes and then cutting it back. That’s fine, but I see the most value when I’m on it and top there. It’s like it gets the plant early enough that you don’t give the meristem time to start really stretching, and you don’t end up with as much duff at the bottom of the plant, because everything starts raging horizontally from the start practically.

I’ve tried going straight into larger pots, and it seems like I get the best results from walking that line with the moisture level of the soil and the size of the root mass in the pot. I seem to get slower growth when going straight into big pots, but I’m too ignorant to say why or if that’s always true. I suspect it may have something to do with all of that extra nitrogen slowing growth, or maybe it’s that without hitting resistance, the plant focuses more early energy on building root mass. Again, it’s been a decade or more since I tried it so I could be 100% wrong.

11 Likes

Yeah, just the one topping, which done early enough Bushes out the plant to where I don’t need to prune any lateral shoots.

I bend down the two main branches to where they’re level with the shoots a node below, then I continue to bend as needed to get that shape, usually only a few times. I used those plastic bend clips from Amazon and they’re actually pretty cool, just gotta be careful because it doesn’t do well with thick stems and I ended up duct taping one of the Zang last run :smile::man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Curious if you are also using mycorrhiza during any of the transplants? I’ve been on the fence lately on whether I can tell any difference.

4 Likes

Whaa man

That grow is Pura Vida… I’m envious. Top notch…

5 Likes

I do, I’ve used it for a long time because I don’t see any Transplant shock or unhappiness from the plants when I use it. If I don’t, there can be 2 or 3 days where the plant is sitting there like “wtf iust happened”, but when I use it, they’re feeling fine as soon as they get over the droop from watering.

12 Likes

Thanks hermano!:call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Yeah, I snapped one of my Mexican Melons a couple runs ago and one of the Bandaid Hazes last run when I was trying to do a little tying down. But training them so early like you’re doing probably makes it much easier than waiting until they’re like three weeks into flower haha, like I always seems to do. I’m gonna try to remember to do that super-early topping method of yours; seems like the results speak for themselves.

5 Likes

Wow sitting here! The line up is crazy but the Oaxacan x Acapulco got all my attention. All the girls are looking super good. That Guerrero michoacan pic is stunning!

Regards!

8 Likes