101's First Grow Diary

I REALLY hate the buildup from the humidifiers. I don’t have or use RO water, but it would be great to not think about all the white dust they put out…

2 Likes

Ok. So I planted six seeds, four germinated.

They will be moved to their own EarthBox but are still in their avocado containers for now.

Should I lower the light? Are they “stretching”?

12 Likes

You can definitely lower the lights.
My sprouts are at around 55 cm (22 inches).
Running at max power. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice @Rogue!

2 Likes

Edit:

I see you have thin LED bars, maybe keep them somewhere halfway between where they are now and the number I gave you, then see how they react. :+1:

I have a small Quantumboard so it’s a bit different.

3 Likes

Thanks @Rogue. If it makes any difference the lights are MIGRO ARAY 8 | 480W - 530W.

3 Likes

Been catching up on your thread, I see some of my organic buddies already here :nerd_face:
Pulling up a chair! Your off to an excellent start :slight_smile:

I have a little cool mist humidifier that I really like. I think it’s a vicks. Really small and does the job.
I’d second what @Rogue says about the lights as well.

Good Vibes!

4 Likes

@BeagleZ you are psychic! I was shopping for a smaller-footprint humidifier and Build-a-Soil happened to have a sale

I went for it.

4 Likes

Ok. Lowering the lights. @Rogue @BeagleZ what % power should I use? I’m at 25% now.

1 Like

I was referring to distance and I think @Rogue prob was as well.
You prob want a bit more light

Do you have the photone app? It gets pretty close with the par readings for really cheap. Good enough most of the time to judge your dli decently

4 Likes

@BeagleZ Thanks!! I downloaded the app and made the light diffuser with the paper and tape —

Readings at the leaf level range from 26-28 DLI with the 24h setting. I’m at 50% power.

I can’t lower that light tonight. Kids are asleep and I want to roll out the precious cargo before mucking… need to do some unfastening of the cables, get on a stepladder etc.

4 Likes

Always make sure you only adjust one thing at a time (per day) so you know exactly what is causing an improvement or not. So either lower the light distance OR increase intensity.
I have mine at 100% all the time.

Experiment, at this point your guess is as good as ours. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anything you do, with good or bad results, is gaining you more data that enables you to make better decisions. All of the universe is one giant infinite experiment!

6 Likes

@Rogue My kids are reading “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” right now and this line is vibing.

Excellent horse sense.

I backed off the power a bit so DIL of 20 at the leaf level. Will see what tomorrow brings.

They are so beautiful and powerful and at the moment minuscule. In awe.

5 Likes

Two questions.

1. When do I “transplant” the seedlings?
  2. Can I grow two plants on one EarthBox? Got three EBs and four seedlings… I have another EB but until I get my fancy schmancy new humidifier from BAS I can’t fit it in the tent.

Suggestions? Strategizing? The green Xs are my plan. One plant in the middle… if they are sharing, opposite corners.

2 Likes

Are they fems?

1 Like

You can leave them where they are and sow some more seeds directly into the other EB’s.
Those four will connect their roots and grow like one plant.

You can grow as many plants in one EB as you want, it will sort itself out.

Edit:
I have also never used a humidifier, don’t get too hung up on numbers and stats. These plants have dealt with harsh weather ever since they came into being. Babying your plants too much makes them weak, especially if you’re making seeds.

1 Like

What?!?

Sorry let me repeat that. WHAT?!?!??

This is a thing? How would you know which bud is which cultivar? Wow that sound super advanced and cool and crazy. Mind blown!

Given this is my first grow… I think I will try 1 or 2 per box? I am still figuring out so much. But WOW that is fascinating and so crazy cool. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

As far as I know every plant of the same DNA (it’s likely interspecies connections are happening too) connects their roots when grown in close viscinity, it’s how forests work. The fungi in the soil act like a nervoussystem, wateringsystem, nutrienttransporter, etc.

You might be interested in the movie Fantastic Fungi and Paul Stamets’ books. :slight_smile:

Regarding knowing which cultivar is which, you can stick to a bunch of seeds of one cultivar per EB, if you deem it important. In the beginning of this year I threw a small handful of mixed unknown seeds onto my soil and started making seeds with them.
The weak sprouts die and only the best ones mature.
Survival of the fittest!

It’s mainly interesting if you wanna make seeds because then you can do open pollination with several males and females, the diversity makes for stronger genetics.

1 Like

Think I’ll grab a seat and watch. :+1:

1 Like

And then there’s also this:

Vetch, buckwheat, clover, etc can be sown along with your cannabis as well since they fix nitrogen into the soil, hold moisture and provide rich mulch.

Worm towers are also pretty nifty. :sunglasses:

1 Like