101's First Grow Diary

I can’t see any of the trichs on the bud from those shots; they’re all of the trichs on sugar leaves. If you’re planning to go by the trichs, the ones on the buds are the ones you want to be looking at. Clear means they’re not mature yet, cloudy means they’re maturing, and amber means they’re done and the cannabinoids inside have started to decompose. Sounds like you already know you don’t want couch-lock, so I’d harvest as soon as you start seeing any signs of amber - it takes about two weeks for them to get from the first hint of amber to 20-30%, which is where I usually harvest, so you should have plenty of time and don’t have to chop until you actually see some amber imo.

7 Likes

What @Cormoran said :point_up::point_up:

4 Likes

Well folks I’m down to one plant. Had to make dry ice hash (kief really) because my tent got hit hard by a heatwave we’re experiencing here in NYC. Here is my kief.

Here is my one remaining plant now with lots more air circulation and extra fans. Temps are still high (87F with 44RH) but plant seems Ok.

Can I keep growing or should I chop?

8 Likes

I would keep it around for another week or two I’d possible. The majority of those trichomes look clear from my seat.

4 Likes

If you check the leaf temperature you should see that it is significantly lower. Probably less than 80F.
So long as they can transpire you should be good. 44%RH is quite tolerable for late flower.

As ReikoX said, a couple weeks probably.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

@ReikoX and @Gpaw Thanks as always. Good advice.

4 Likes

Even if this turns out to be muscle recovery oil

I did it.

13 Likes

My one remaining plant still going! Here are the trichomes as of tonight.

10 Likes

Looks like you are just starting to get a lot turning milky.

2 Likes

Exciting to see!!!

1 Like

Time to chop?

6 Likes

First grow in the books. Harvest is frozen for MMJ canna oil.

Please take delight in helping this new grower have such a wonderful and fruitful first experience.

Overgrow the world.

11 Likes

Coda: It WORKED!

I’m writing to you happily, magnificently medicated by medicine I grew from seed, thanks to the good-hearted, helpful folks on this forum.

Thank you!!!

I froze the buds for about two months. Our freezer died and so I prepared for emergency ice water hash. I had bubble bags, added one part (defrosted 24+ hours) bud, one part ice, one part cold tap.

Stirred for 20-30 minutes. Then processed in the bubble bags. In the end, I combined every fractionation, as the volumes of each fraction were too small to be processed sensibly. Combined together they were the size of a large marble, and thus the natural bit of loss maneuvering material from step to step didn’t frustrate. I wanted “quick and dirty” to determine if I had succeeded at all.

And it fucking worked!

I dried the slurry of sieved trichomes in my kitchen cabinet for over two weeks.

Finally I had a day to myself — everyone out of the house — to take the last steps.

I transferred the dried hash or kief to a 15 mL black glass jar. Top left off but covered lightly with a stainless steel tea infuser cap. I think the jar lid is plastic. Bleh. Anyway I put the jar in an oil bath in my Levo II infuser, and decarbed using the default setting of 240F for 30 minutes.

Turned off the machine after it cycled and let the whole thing cool down for 18 minutes. I was too excited to wait the full 20.

The sample size I tested was about the size of a standard metal thumbtack. The rounded ones popular in schools.

I just ate it right off that spatula. Sticky like tar. Had to “wash it down” by eating baked chickpeas using their crispiness to kinda scrape it off my dang teeth and the roof of my mouth. Sorry for the TMI. Next time I will use a capsule!

Onset took 90 minutes. Long, gentle liftoff. Inner peace and self-affirmation. Little in the way of body effects, though yoga did feel quite nice. Not racy at all. Felt like a low-rumbling late summer storm that finally breaks into a torrent as the temp plummets. Beautiful, deeply felt healing experience.

My guesstimate is 10-15 mg THC in my sample. (If we suppose the “volume” of the effects are THC-driven.)

I wept long and hard. It was extremely therapeutic without being overwhelming. I danced joyfully.

This is a real milestone for me personally and I am grateful to everyone in this community and especially all the folks preforming the invisible work that keeps the lights on around here (cc: @LemonadeJoe).

10 Likes

I don’t think you need much help, you are doing a great job on your own girl :+1:

4 Likes

Just in case you want a more balanced daytime effect you can also decarb at 212 F (100 C) in two batches; decarb the whole batch for 1 hr and 11 mins, take half out and decarb the other half for 2 hr and 22 mins. Then ingest a small equal amount of both before breakfast. It improves my sleep as well, even though I ingest at the beginning of my day. It’s what works best for me, maybe it will work well for you too?

Thank you for growing and healing and allowing yourself to get in touch with your soul, it’s the most useful thing you can do with your life, increasing your own vibration helps and benefits every person on the planet. Thank you! :green_heart:

2 Likes