1st ever outdoor in n. Alberta using Sebring auto fems!

Just have to watch condensation doesn’t get out of hand with it covered.

3 Likes

Hi LabRat. Nice little greenhouse idea there. The only thing i worry about is when it becomes windy. I guess this setup of yours would crumble under 70-80km/h winds. I have witnessed 100km/h winds rip off big greenhouse covers like feathers. if you have 4 extra supports that you can fix diagonally at 45 degrees to support the poles and make double layer walls and tie some wires between the poles for extra support. You have time to strengthen it before stronger winds come, but keep your eye on the wind fore
Tip: use a paper stapeler, the bigger the better, and staple the plastic cover over the wires where it is folded. tighten the corners and staple where you can. This mechanism of folding the plastic and stapling it over a metallic wire, is very very tough to break. I have seen it used in huge scale in traditional greenhouses where wind is the main concern. I use a smallish 24/6 size stapler i guess it is enough for yours too, but you can get bigger. The very tiny ones like size 10 are so thing they plastic could rip through easily.

4 Likes

I’m thinking about that but as our weather gets colder the RH drops a lot so that should help. Not damp and cold like it was out on the coast where I grew up. In the middle of winter I’ve had the RH in my grow room when full of plants be down to 20%. Almost zero outside.

Pissing rain all night so have the plastic over the top but open in front so it can breathe.

:peace:

3 Likes

That’s something else I’ve been thinking about and we can get some wicked wind here. About 5 years ago it was so bad just down the road from us it snapped off a dozen new and very large power poles. Luckily it wasn’t too cold but by day 3 the house was starting to freeze up and forced me to go blow $700 on a genset that I used for about 5 hours then the power came back on. Haven’t used it since. lol

I think I’ll put up a wind break on the west side as that’s where our prevailing winds come from but it’s already fairly well protected by the chicken coop from that direction. The worst of the winter weather blows in from the northeast and the house blocks it really well from that direction. Those frame poles I have up now are driven about a foot into hard clay so pretty sturdy already.

I’d had half a mind to just chop her down and even now that’s still an option. If some real nasty shit happens and rips things all up I’ll assess the situation and decide from there. Would be nice if I can limp her along to the end but not going to lose any sleep over it if it goes to shit. lol

Generally our autumns are pretty mild wind and weather wise. We know spring is close when the hard, steady winds blow in from the west and we rarely get hard weather in the late fall until mid-Nov. Often no or little snow until after the new year. Locally the area we’re in is called the Banana belt as we seem to have milder weather than even the towns just 7 miles north of us. A dusting of snow here when the town is digging out most often. Hope she’s finished before much snow flies but you never know. lol

It’s just a bit of fun to see what happens and if she had of autoflowered like she was supposed to I’d be harvesting her by now. I’ve got lots going on indoors so not a great loss if it doesn’t work out.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this tho!

8 Likes

Cool weather the last few days and she got down to 2.5C a couple nights ago and came through it like the trooper she is!

She hit 85F today with lots of sun so that should help and it’s forecast to be pretty warm and sunny for a while. Got my hopes up to get her through to a proper harvest yet!

Pics from yesterday.

Not seeing the big buds like I usually get by 22 days in the grow room but this is a first-time plant in all aspects so may be just right for her.

I’ve hardly had to water her since the start and she’s never looked thirsty at all so hold off. She’s growing in a space meant for 4 plants so must have roots reaching all over plus moisture from the surrounding area must wick in to where she need it too.

Over a week ago I mixed up a 10L batch of nutes with bloom boosters and poured it all around the base of the plant. I’m starting to think that maybe it was just enough to soak the top portion of the soil where there are very few feeder roots and without more water to push them down may not be being used by the plant right now when it needs them.

I’m also starting to think that if I mixed up a batch of 20L just with stuff like Insect Frass, Carbo and some extra DynoMyco then poured it slowly around the base it could push everything down there and get her in gear. The whole volume of the holes I made for the four plants is about 100L+ so I shouldn’t overwater her I don’t think. She’s covered when it rains but the unused holes are partly exposed to rain and can drain to her. The holes are in solid clay so there is no real drainage and excess water could pool up down there. I don’t think we’ve had enough rain lately to make that a problem.

Buddy came over and took the four smaller kush plants off my hands so I’m all set to flip the two bigger ones to flower in a few days. That 3rd one will go upstairs to be a mom.

The one on the left is the one fed with MegaCrop only and is slightly smaller and lest robust than the AN fed one. More concerning is that it is losing many more lower leaves and has many more going all black on the edges and folding in or just dying and easy to pull off. I’d say 80% of bad leaves I pull off both are from her.

Nice sunset last night and stayed warm too at 50F all night.

A little better shot from a more southern angle. Sun is still setting high in the northwest and still pretty high up in the sky in mid-day. Days are getting shorter fast tho.

12 Likes

Beautiful sunset!!

2 Likes

Its pretty flat land there, no wonder you get some heavy winds whooshing through, lovely sunset.

If you can get more water in the ground without drowning her roots, I think that’s the best way to push the nutes down where she needs them. Next year you should have a tube down into the ground and a res up top so it can get nutes lower down faster and easier. She is still looking nice, healthy and happy though Lab.

3 Likes

Awwww. Look at those little seedlings! Healthy!!!

2 Likes

i feel your pain labrat. I’m in n. Maine and we’ve had 3 light frosts already. luckily my 5 plants are in my portable greenhouse but are still 2-3weeks before being finished. our daytime temps are in the mid 60’s f nights are mid to upper 40’s with upper 30’s coming mid week. its always a struggle to get plants to finish here before frost kills them.

5 Likes

Had a little frost here the other night but it’s been warm the last couple days. Hitting over 80F mid-day.

4 Likes

How are they holding up? Any signs of damage?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Couple of frosty nights here lately but been hot the last couple days going over 80F and only dropping to 55 or so at night. She’s doing great and the buds are slowly fattening up and still all covered with lots of white hairs so she’s still growing new flowers too. To prevent high humidity in the tent if it gets cold and I need to run the heater, (only one night so far), I drape an old fitted sheet over the top and front so moisture can get out. Thanks for the tip mom!

The stalk is getting huge. That’s a cap off a 5gal water jug beside it. Might be able to make a nice walking stick out of the stalk or at least a good cudgel.

I fed her a good dose of nutes heavy on the K, S and carbo. Also added some Insect Frass and more DynoMyco to eat up the Carbo. I dug out 5 spots around the plant then poured in the Frass and Myco first then poured in semi-equal amounts of the 10L of nute mix. After that poured in a couple more litres of just RO in each spot to wash it down. The water is kept heated to 78F with a 50W aquarium heater in my storage jug along with an airstone to keep O2 levels up.

A little branch that had been broken a couple weeks ago and I had tied up broke off completely and that’s it sitting on top of the heater. Trimmed it up and letting the buds dry before decarbing them and testing for CBD. I’m going to harvest the little Earth Lover I’ve been growing indoors and test it too. also collect my seeds of it as well. Some more Earth Lover Reg Autos and others from the Loco-mota that should be Reg Autos as well. I’ve collected the pollen from the Loco-mota male that grew as a Reg plant too. Not sure what to do with that yet but will be planting more Loco beans yet.

Top shot. I just went out and took one with the flash in the almost dark at 8:30. Days are getting shorter fast! Was 11:30 before it got this dark just a few weeks ago. Yesterday noticed a lot of fine white/grey particles on the leaves and it either has to be ash from those fires on the west coast or from the huger ones in Siberia. With any luck they’ll put enough ash in the stratosphere that it blocks some sun for a couple years and help slow temperature rise to reduce global warming. Toss in a super volcano like Yellowstone and we’d be getting worried about an ice age.

Today was Day 1 for the Kush downstairs. I fed them good twice and the problem with lower leaves screwing up seems to be fixed. The small one that I’m keeping for a mother is down there until midnight when I take it upstairs to sit under the fluoro lights to make sure she gets her 18 hrs/day but good strong light, albeit HPS, for 12 hrs/day. Got my little alcohol lamp going in there too for extra CO2 with the temp for the exhaust fan turned up to 80F tho that could wait a few days until the plant finally figures out it’s supposed to start flowering. Time to mix up that STS and make balls!

Didn’t feel like calibrating the white balance for one quick pic but will once they get budding. 600W of good Hortilux SHPS should get that happening soon. :slight_smile:

Time to plant some seeds too but already had too many to chose from and today the ones I ordered from @Sebring showed up! I’d ordered one pack of the High CBD Double Ought Cherry Reg Photo beans and got two with a total of 179 seeds between them!! Swaps? Also a pack of 19 Dragon Heart Reg Auto CBD.

Very generous Brother Sebring so thank you very much! Nice smaller containers too!

11 Likes

Getting busy again Lab, all looking good :+1:

My GDP and OG are producing lots of male flowers now, the STS is working well.

I only sprayed a lower branch on each which was a mistake as when they drop pollen it’s just going to go on the floor and not the plants. So I chopped of the branch on the OG and put it in water yesterday, I will do the same with the GDP as soon as I see one flower open, then I will collect the pollen and dust them.

I have 3 GDP clones so I may just veg them for a few weeks and do them as well only on the top areas so the pollen drops down onto the plant instead of the floor.

My doc called me this week he said he would if there was a problem with my blood work. So I said what’s the bad news, he said, no bad news, your bad cholesterol has dropped 25% and your good cholesterol is up 10% how did you do this.
He said my blood glucose levels have also dropped just over 1 point as well. He sounded very disappointed lol.

I said, I just changed my diet, cut sugar and sugar substitutes out and cutback on the eggs and cheese, and eating more oat cereals. Cutting back on sugar also helps lower bad cholesterol.

He said well you have gone from a 20% chance of a cardiac problem to a 12% chance, so I would advise taking statins to get you down further. I said no, now I know it’s working I will improve it and add more exercise now as the daughters moved out, I can use the running machine to walk on, my neck won’t handle jogging.

8 Likes

I’m planning on spraying one good lower branch on one of my Kush then once it starts showing balls cut off the branch and catch the pollen on foil in the bedroom closet. Already set up in there for that so hopefully it works the same. Pretty sure it will.

Getting my own RO system finally. Was talking today with a tech guy at a store in BC and he’s going to email me a price list for the parts I need and I’ll build my own setup. Just need one housing for a 0.5 micron carbon filter, RO filter with it’s housing and the little UV sterilizer unit. A couple of valves, some fittings and a few ft of 1/4 tubing and I should be good to go. I already have a new filter housing for a 1 micron filter. I can mount it all on the wall behind the distiller once I take the distiller out of there. Looked in the boiling tank for the distiller and is it ever ugly. So much mineral buildup to clean out in there. Once that’s clean I can replace the heater element and try to sell the damn thing. Was $3000 new so should be able to get $500 for it at least but will ask more.

Good news on the health stuff. I find it really odd that doctors don’t start with spelling out how diet and exercise can improve things like cholesterol, BP, sugar levels etc but just go straight to writing up a scrip and send you on your way to to drug your way to better, (but eventually worse), health. Fits right in with society’s lack of motivation to do anything that requires any kind of effort. Diabetes 2 and obesity are killing more people than Covid but is anyone shutting down fast food joints or taxing junk food to pay for the carnage? Fat chance, (pun intended), of that with Big Food, Big Pharma and Big Money bribing our weak and greedy governments to keep us sick and needy. A pox on their houses!

The wife has been busy cleaning up the shop so I’ll now have room to use the exercise gear we have. Stair stepper unit takes me 2 min to wear myself out and is easy on the knees. The recumbent bike lets me set how hard the workout is and I have lots of free weights and a simple bench too. We also have a treadmill but that’s hard on the joints for me. Can still get some bike rides in too before the snow flies.

Time to give up beef I think. Seems to trigger my gut problems like it does for the wife. Wish seafood was cheaper and fresh but I’m good with chicken but not enthused about pork from factory farms. Fresh off a real farm when it’s actually pink rather than that sickly white factory crap is great. Tastes like something.

5 Likes

Don’t you have a remnant dog to walk away? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t take my dog for a walk George. He takes me for a drag. lol

I know what you mean :sweat_smile:, I always use the same bigfoot boots the whole year :sweat:. BTW love your outdoor setting for that monster, hope all your efforts will be rewarded with a great harvest … beer3|nullxnull

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-20 at 00.38.34

4 Likes

Thanks George. Nice pup. Bet he runs like the wind.

Hoping I can limp that girl along for another 4 weeks. Very cloudy today and a light rain has started so I covered the top with plastic. No wind to speak of but put some folded chicken wire on top to make sure the plastic stays on.

The cutting I took off her early in flower still isn’t showing any new growth but has roots coming out of the drain holes and doesn’t need to be in the dome so hopefully will see some single-bladed leaves emerging soon. I can pick up the pot wet holding the stem so it’s well rooted for sure.

4 Likes

Yes I do George, she is very slow though now, although we have got her back to a fairly good state of mobility again it’s really like a long slow sniff, than a walk :roll_eyes:

We have a tropical storm coming Tuesday, it’s behaving like a hurricane that hit us some years back called Hurricane Juan, did a huge amount of damage. They think this Tropical storm is going to turn into a hurricane like Juan did.

Might fuck every outdoor grow in Nova Scotia :confused: Contemplating getting a generator, at least it’s not to cold atm so we don’t have to worry about freezing, we can barbque, use a camp stove and charge devices up in the car.

Starting to make me think about the house insurance, whether I am covered for a hurricane ripping off the roof, if I am, I hope I can get a claim, got some shingles looking a little bit worn around the edges that could do with replacing :wink: save me paying it out, get some value for the money I have been paying out in Insurance. The universe works in strange and wondrous ways​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

First the wuflu and then a hurricane :sweat:, def 2020 is not a good year for anyone. Hope it will weaken in tropical storm and won’t affect you …beer3|nullxnull

You should put your dog in that running machine … frech|nullxnull

1 Like