2023 Massachusetts Outdoor Growing

Greetings New England Outdoor Growers,

I live on Cape Cod and I cannot grow outside any more here. It is just too much of a heart break to nurture some great genetics to full flower only to lose it too the local nightmare of pests, fungus and rot!

Anyways, I am two years into a breeding project and one of the phenotypes that has emerged is the most (only) pest and disease strain I’ve found for the conditions here.

I live right off the water so it may be a worst case scenario, and what I’m calling the “Olive” phenotype flourished during a New England fall that killed her sister plant. Maybe 30’ feet apart Olive thrived while I witnessed the slow caterpillar+WPM+bud rod death of her sister plant. In fact, from what I could see, Olive didn’t even notice the frequent rain, morning fog, pale sunlight, winter moth, botrytis… She’s kinda runty but resilient in our conditions. Could be a solid F1 candidate.

I am abandoning the Olive pheno as a part of my breeding project, but I’d be happy if a New England outdoor grower wanted to give it a try. I have seeds and potentially cuts to offer.

I’m done with Cape Cod outdoor grows, but I thought one of you folks might be looking for a project.

Anyone interested drop me a DM, (serious inquiries only please)
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, More deets on Olive Here:

Frankie’s Daughters: Unpacking a Frozen Genome

7 Likes

I woke up this morning realizing that I’d made a significant claim above regards the disease resistance of the Olive phenotype without providing any tangible evidence.

My word is good, but it’s only fair to back it up. So here’s a few comparison pics from last September/October (remember how bad this Fall was in NE?)

While this was happening to my beautiful Hilda plant…

The scruffy freakshow sister Olive was flourishing down with the tomatoes and corn:

Those pics were all within days of each other. Hilda ended up in the burn pile while Olive finally finished in late November with a modest but credible harvest.

I’m moving on, but Olive is up for grabs!

-Grouchy

6 Likes

Thats so awesome, How s the yield from ur strain?? Last season was horrible. Weather and pest ran rapid .Jap Beetles were terrible too. I m hoping for better results this year . But Mass can be a tricky place with all the

3 Likes

Yield is modest, but credible, potency is lowish, but interesting effect. More pleasant than mad dawg. Makes killa tinture concentrate.

1 Like

Guess whose back, ? Yeah it’s me.
Cool ass PVOG.

3 Likes

Bump for new 2024 thread:

4 Likes

I’m in Massachusetts and only grow outdoors. I usually start indoors in April and bring them outdoors the second week of May. I don’t grow indoors at all, so I’m getting pretty antsy!

7 Likes

Wow this didn’t age well. TBF it was relatively dry in October, but man did it rain a lot between spring and October.

7 Likes

I m on the same page, I have my Blueberry muffins clones ready rooted and sitting in Solo cups, I have my seedlings Hindu Kush ,GDP,and other Blueberry mixes ready and I ll be doing some CBD stuff for my dad and a couple auto strains. and stuff I m gonna plant to test …Lots of projects . I m itching to get plants in the ground. I finally bred one of my Blueberry Muffins moms with BOGS B.M.R Pollen. Can t wait to collect the beans and start hunting. 2024 is gonna be great ,good luck to my fellow Mass growers and breeders. Hope everyone has a great season.

8 Likes

A couple Sundae Drivers put to dirt today. Let the 2024 outdoor grow begin!

11 Likes

If theres anyone whos in or near Western Mass looking for some clones DM me . I started a bunch of Blueberry Muffin clones and would love to make rome for some more…I have them in Solo cups and soil already .

10 Likes

Last year I had a few locals test my black triangle x goji f3 outdoors and everyone’s did very well with very small % loss to mold towards the end of Sept.
I think the Genius Thai x goji will go out this year, even faster finish time with good yields indoor.
Personally I only do a couple of plants outdoors, and I will be running 2 of my Full Circle cuts which I just sifted this winter indoors and am excited to see how they do outside in Western MA…

8 Likes

Sundae Drivers off to a good start.

9 Likes

never make too many calculations, the weather is unpredictable, it could hail, strong winds, continuous rain, strong thunderstorms

I’ve always been intrigued by that strain, have not grown it. Hope you post a log!

1 Like

Sundae Drivers a week later.

5 Likes

couldn t wait , lol This is my half assed green hut. Its been 25 degrees warmer then the outside so I tossed some clones and started my rose seeds and hardy veggies. I m just happy to have plants outside…

6 Likes

Love this strain. Trade clippings or seeds?

2 Likes

Boston but might trek out there

1 Like

Dunked 45 silver dollar seeds today 15 in RO water. 15 Hp and RO. 15 RO hp and seaweed extract. Then 5 random grinder seeds.
Got a clone that’s now about a foot tall and wide, wondering if I could take her outside yet. Gonna do a lot more outdoor growing this year.
Anyone know where I can have seeds or cuttings tested. For sex, disease, genetics etc?

2 Likes