2023 Massachusetts Outdoor Growing

That sounds on point! And coincidentally, Arcata Cut, some hazes, Malawi, BD Santa Cruz Cut, and a hunted pheno of Bodhi Old Soul have given me some good combos with some solid resistance, both in the Berkshires and here in the Catskills.

I love that you’re doing that, I would totally be down to compare notes. It’s amazing how much the weather has become more erratic than usual, and even in many ways different than 15, 20 years ago. Seems like this type of breeding is the right track to overcome it!

5 Likes

Nice line up you got there.

I agree totally. Definitely warmer for longer. Not necessarily hotter as we have had some very short Springs and a couple of not too many hot day Summers. I guestimate about a month longer growing season from 20+ years ago.

1 Like

That BD Santa Cruz x Orange Malawi sounds killer! I just had an offer of a pack of related seeds for next years outdoor from an OG, I’d love to run that next to your African Orange hybrid, I just grew Ortega Mix from FDM indoors which was Ortega x African Sherbet and it’s awesome bud! Rock hard indica but with some interesting Sherb and African terps in there. The pack I’m getting in for next summer OD is Equilibrium’s Birthday in Burma, Wedding Cake x Orange Burmese (Burmese x African Orange).

@sunra108,
I tried to reply to your comment about lineage but I was unable so I will make a disconnected reply and hope you see it.
The Durban Poison I grew originated with Dutch Passion. It had white flowers and grew tall.

2 Likes

Thanks for the lineage reply @Rayman
Cool, white flowers. I do not remember seeing white flowers.
And,

you enjoyed the smoke as well as the grow.

Got a pack of 80s Durban Poison from @LoveofLandrace along
with his other three offerings; KwaZulu, Lesotho and Pondoland Transkei.
Hope to start a few beans sometime in February.

1 Like

Yes, white, but my Power Plant had the carachteristic purple flowers. I have heard there are about 4 fenotypes for Durban Poison. Mine did have the tall, stretched one.

Haha, I have ordered a few times from Chailife, living in Weymouth, Ma. Got the orders in 2 days. He seems like a good guy, I had a problem with an order ( my fault) and he took care of it for me. He is also very generous with the freebies. I did get the Aficionado Portofino for $200, but I really wanted to grow them. Here is the Portofino and Trident Seeds Arghandab Black grown outdoors.

6 Likes

I m excited to grow this AK Brains Blueberry muffin x vintage Blueberry strain out here in Massachusetts. It s supposed to be good in tough climates… Last year was brutal with rain ,mold .

6 Likes

I watched some online lecture last year where somebody from the state Ag department or something like that was talking about different pesticides and preventing mold, and she paused mid-sentence to acknowledge that there wasn’t much a person could do in the summer of '23.

9 Likes

IK , It was by far the worst season Ive ever seen it out here. I had mildew and mold on all my watermelons and squash plants too. I used Neem oil and that usually works to knock it down but I d spray everything get it looking better then it would rain for another 4 days with high humidity and boom I m back to square 1. I was growing Blue Dream and the plants were beautiful till bud rot took 1/4 of each plant . This season I ll be trying to use hardier strains with the weather in mind but with my luck it will be a completely uneventful season .lol

7 Likes

I used Purecrop 1 all season last year and had pretty good results. Very minimal bud rot for such a terrible summer.

5 Likes

Greetings New England Outdoor Growers,

I live on Cape Cod and I cannot grow outside any more here. It is just too much of a heart break to nurture some great genetics to full flower only to lose it too the local nightmare of pests, fungus and rot!

Anyways, I am two years into a breeding project and one of the phenotypes that has emerged is the most (only) pest and disease strain I’ve found for the conditions here.

I live right off the water so it may be a worst case scenario, and what I’m calling the “Olive” phenotype flourished during a New England fall that killed her sister plant. Maybe 30’ feet apart Olive thrived while I witnessed the slow caterpillar+WPM+bud rod death of her sister plant. In fact, from what I could see, Olive didn’t even notice the frequent rain, morning fog, pale sunlight, winter moth, botrytis… She’s kinda runty but resilient in our conditions. Could be a solid F1 candidate.

I am abandoning the Olive pheno as a part of my breeding project, but I’d be happy if a New England outdoor grower wanted to give it a try. I have seeds and potentially cuts to offer.

I’m done with Cape Cod outdoor grows, but I thought one of you folks might be looking for a project.

Anyone interested drop me a DM, (serious inquiries only please)
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, More deets on Olive Here:

Frankie’s Daughters: Unpacking a Frozen Genome

7 Likes

I woke up this morning realizing that I’d made a significant claim above regards the disease resistance of the Olive phenotype without providing any tangible evidence.

My word is good, but it’s only fair to back it up. So here’s a few comparison pics from last September/October (remember how bad this Fall was in NE?)

While this was happening to my beautiful Hilda plant…

The scruffy freakshow sister Olive was flourishing down with the tomatoes and corn:

Those pics were all within days of each other. Hilda ended up in the burn pile while Olive finally finished in late November with a modest but credible harvest.

I’m moving on, but Olive is up for grabs!

-Grouchy

6 Likes

Thats so awesome, How s the yield from ur strain?? Last season was horrible. Weather and pest ran rapid .Jap Beetles were terrible too. I m hoping for better results this year . But Mass can be a tricky place with all the

3 Likes

Yield is modest, but credible, potency is lowish, but interesting effect. More pleasant than mad dawg. Makes killa tinture concentrate.

1 Like

Guess whose back, ? Yeah it’s me.
Cool ass PVOG.

3 Likes

Bump for new 2024 thread:

4 Likes

I’m in Massachusetts and only grow outdoors. I usually start indoors in April and bring them outdoors the second week of May. I don’t grow indoors at all, so I’m getting pretty antsy!

7 Likes

Wow this didn’t age well. TBF it was relatively dry in October, but man did it rain a lot between spring and October.

7 Likes

I m on the same page, I have my Blueberry muffins clones ready rooted and sitting in Solo cups, I have my seedlings Hindu Kush ,GDP,and other Blueberry mixes ready and I ll be doing some CBD stuff for my dad and a couple auto strains. and stuff I m gonna plant to test …Lots of projects . I m itching to get plants in the ground. I finally bred one of my Blueberry Muffins moms with BOGS B.M.R Pollen. Can t wait to collect the beans and start hunting. 2024 is gonna be great ,good luck to my fellow Mass growers and breeders. Hope everyone has a great season.

8 Likes