2023 Massachusetts Outdoor Growing

Wonder how cold is too cold to put the seedings outside? It’s like 42° out but we will be 50 around noon. Like to put them out for a few hours. Can’t forget to bring them in since it’s gonna drop to the 30s tonight. And will be in the 30s thru April…🫨

I would say it’s still a little cold, not much benefit except I guess accustoming them to natural light? But you could do that quickly in another few weeks too.

1 Like

under 55 and i bring them in…they’ll definitely survive much lower temps,but it slows them down for sure if it’s more than a night or two

1 Like

Yeah, I just want to put them out for a few hours. Thanks you guys for your prompt input! Now I gotta set alarm to get up. Wish they had a temp alarm clock…
Someone would make $ with it, cuz I’d buy one. Or two.
Maybe 3.:grin:

2 Likes

Kids out in the sunshine. It’s a cool 62+/‐ and they need that outside air n sun. Have to bring them in later as the temp will be dropping to maybe 30s tonight.
One reason I started a few weeks earlier, is that I’ll be doing a lot of super cropping and Low Stress Training. That can and has slowed down and dragged out the growing for me. I may be a bit too early, but should be fine. I have them on some timers when they are inside that coincide with sunrise/sunset. So that’s all well and good. They are not in real direct sun, but under a tree that cast shade and sun both. Keeping an eye on the temp, actually setting an alarm to remind me to take them in.
Edit Update: Woke up about 645ish, checked temp, was about 62, dozed off, woke up at 710 and temp was coming down to 60°, got up and the kids seemed fine. Couple of the older ones that need to be reported because of stringy stalks had drooped a tiny bit. I decided that it was time for a little ‘Marcel the Shell With Shoes’ engineering. (A must see film while on Indica)
So I made small supports with a toothpick and a bread tie cut in half. The twist tie is wrapped tightly around the top of the toothpick, then a little curl is placed at the tip. Works well and I only use them when the plant grows and the top wants to hang outside the solo.

EDIT PICS:

1 Like

Got my Gelato OG out yesterday and they appear to be fairing well. Looking to start the rest of the girls this week. Rummaging through my seeds and came across an old packet of Shiskaberry. These are indeed OLD (like me) but I’m going to try and coax them to life.

Wish me luck!

3 Likes

If anyone wants this Royal Kush #7 plant and can pick it up in the Bristol CT area holler at me. Root tested via Tumi, no pests, bulletproof outdoors. I have too many and she could use a good home this summer! Ideally, whoever grabbed it would hang onto a cut, but not required.

9 Likes

Huh! I could get down there from Western Mass pretty easily, I wonder how it would go taking it on a local bus and commuter rail with me? Semi-serious question, I’d love a Royal Kush #7 mom!

1 Like

Thursday night special. Jack Herer.

1 Like

Cool article about what to plant and watch in your greenhouse or garden as trap/indicator plants:

https://www.greenhousemag.com/article/gmpro-0411-trap-plants-biologicial-controls-pesticides/

3 Likes

Wow, it’s getting kind of Biblical up here in the Ct. River basin at the Rt 2 apex. Big Boomers! Heres a few pics of the kids, now taking a shower…

One of the reasons I get these early spread out canopies, is that I spend some time tying the plant over at about a 22-30° angle. This kind of tricks, and causes the branches to really open up. This causes several more canopy type energy points than if one does nothing. You can see it in several of my pics, here and in my grow journal, PVOGs 2023 Awesome sauce.

12 Likes

Since I had a Weiner nanner ballsac convention in more than one garden, I’m gonna try and get these autos out and done. Any thoughts or experiences with these and length of time advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Looken Good, Sitten here 'bout a hours drive due south…

1 Like

Fingers crossed we’ve gotten past the crazy rain-rain-rain-sun-rain-rain-rain cycle. No major soakers forecast for the next 10 days.

2 Likes

I’m in NY but its been some wild weather so far this summer.

1 Like

Dude it’s been crazy! I’m glad that the first plant I ever tried throwing behind the garage was a Malana Village, the thing absolutely loves this wet wet then sun cycle, it’s so happy right now!

3 Likes

My Massachusetts outdoor grow.

18 Likes

Those girls look like they are about 7-10 days into flower getting long season. My photos git flower about 5-6 wks ago

2 Likes

Been a shit year across the board for many farmers of all types of produce and product. I’ve had too many issues, wasn’t here for a while, septoria took over most of my garden .
There may be enough to save something.

4 Likes

2023 the year of septoria!

4 Likes