2024 New England/Upstate NY Outdoor Growing Discussion

Don’t forget the wind

4 Likes

Yup, just about that time of year to stake the pots down so they`re not falling over.

We’ve got a tornado warning until 10pm
@Sdoyle put them in the ground :rofl:

4 Likes

its been rain for almost 12 hours here in central NY. I think I see some blue sky appearing now though, thankfully

4 Likes

We have gotten about 1.5 inches in the last 24 hours. Expecting anther 1.35 next 24

2 Likes

Yep there’s the wind. Fire whistles going off.

8 Likes

That was / is some legit wind here in Central VT. :sweat_smile: Jeezum

4 Likes

Never heard that word until I moved north when I was a kid. I still refuse to use it. But yeah, what you said.

3 Likes

jeezum crow…

5 Likes

Correct. Jeezum is the abbreviated version

4 Likes

after the rain comes the ‘friends’. so many snails this year. (not a snail in the picture)

4 Likes

hshh9gvn3blz

5 Likes

I once buried some very old fish fertilizer about a foot deep in the field. Covered it up good with dirt. Some critter- coyote ? fox ? - dug it up within a couple days. I’ve never used it in the garden, but if you do, go at least a foot down, and probably a good idea to use some chicken wire or other fence to keep critters away from it because they might smell it out. My guess is it doesn’t matter what type of fish.

3 Likes

The critters is one reason I never use fish fertilizer

4 Likes

Stonerberry Bread

Green Mountain Grape . Some septoria on lowers is visible.

17 Likes

Keeping my 5ft tall plants safe, with 8ft sunflowers. Those cherry tomatoes are 5ft tall as well. There’s a strawberry haze, sour diesel, and gmo in there.

17 Likes

I’m sure everyone here is either quickly approaching flower, or is already there if your further North than me. I’m at 44.6degN on the coast of Maine, at least according to the Googles.
Most of my plants are just barely starting to hint at flower, so I’m switching nutes. I also selected my 4 best looking plants and gave 2 branches on each plant a good spray of STS. The last time I used STS was 2yrs ago, and the plants I sprayed did a great job of self-pollenating, which is my goal here. Each of the plants that got sprayed have their branches clearly marked, and will get resprayed 2 more times, at 5 day intervals.
As for the outcome, each of these plants has other plants nearby, so will more than likely end up with some interesting crosses, such as:
Capt Junky X Wedding Cake
Capt Junky X NIX

Will update here as we get into full flower. Any tips/hints greatly appreciated!

10 Likes

I’m lucky in that I have access to free Peeky Toed crabs. Usually get several 5gal buckets during the summer.
When we get the last bucket, it’s usually mid October and the fisherman is getting ready to pull his gear and his boat.
I save the shells and bodies from that batch and put them inside a heavy duty contractor bag. I take the bag down to my raised beds, which are pretty much done at that time of hear, and I stomp the bejezus out of them for a few minutes, doing the Crab Dance.
Then I add them into 1 or more beds, depending on how many I have, and I dig them in pretty good, maybe a foot or so.
I don’t care if something comes and digs a bit of it up, but it’s a great soil amendment. I laught a bit every time I see “Coast of Maine Compost, with REAL LOBSTER AND CRAB”, selling for $13/bag, 1cuft.

EDIT
I still bought a gallon jug of Alaskan Fish Fertilizer, which I used primarily in the basement, back in April/May.
I actually screwed up my cucumber barrels this year with this. I set up barrels, and put 2 cukes in each one, with a specific amount of fertilizer. It’s a great way to grow cukes. No watering, no weeding, and the barrels produce a few hundred pickling cukes each year.
THIS year, I figured Hey…if some is GOOD, then MORE is BETTER!, right? So after the barrels were set up with their water and fertilizer, I added some of the Alaskan Fish Fertilizer.
KILLED EVERY PLANT.
And for a bonus? STUNK LIKE HELL when I dumped them out. That fertilizer has some serious stuff in it, and if you mix it with some water?..I don’t know what you end up with, but it borders on creating a Super Fund Site.

8 Likes

Did my last FIM for the season yesterday here on the CT/MA line. Just under 14 hrs daylight outside now…

4 Likes

Works better when mixed with water and brewed into a tea with a bubble. I’ve found too that fish shit and dry amendments don’t mix. Fried a cookies gelato last spring indoors. Gave the bottle to my brother. He kills all his plants anyways

4 Likes