2nd Grow, Indoor/Outdoor, shooting for 2 harvests this summer

I found that I needed to run my exhaust fan on low constantly during lights out as that’s when I got a significant RH spike.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

@Gpaw I find the same thing especially as the plants get bigger. My Humidity controller has both Humidify and DeHumidify outputs. Since the dehumidifier has been re-appropriated by my wife, I plugged a 4" exhaust fan into the Dehumidify outlet. Lights go out, humidity gets above setpoint and fan comes on, and stays on till lights come back on.

Looks like the high will be in the 60s next few days. I think I am home-free. By the time things get too hot in the garage again I should be able to move these outside.

4 Likes

Slowly getting back to controllable conditions now that the ambient humidity is dropping.

@Gpaw you can see the nighttime humidity rise here, my night cycle is 11a-7p, right where that blue bump in the graph is, even though ambient humidity was dropping.

1 Like

Peaking into the low 70(s)% RH at night…
…That’s about what I was getting as well.

I set my ‘high RH’ (I’m using an AC Infinity T6) a couple points higher than ambient RH and limit the speed to ‘4’ and that helped to minimize the peak. Also, a little ‘under-story trimming’ with a little air circulation will help prevent localized fungal or mold growth.

A classic ‘ounce of prevention’ situation :crossed_fingers:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

An ounce of prevention to prevent the loss of a few ounces :joy:

3 Likes

Hey @MrWizard , what are you using to capture & chart your conditions?

I am using sensors by SensorPush

@Jungle They connect via bluetooth or a wifi gateway. If you go wifi they have a webpage that displays the charts. The phone app is where you control the settings, and it also lets you look at history etc.

While a little pricier I liked the rH sensors with a 1.5% accuracy, that is about double the accuracy of most other non-industrial sensors that I see.

3 Likes

Man I love this, my rooms are highly automated but everything has its own app/place . I love the idea of everything being in one location, thanks for this!

1 Like

Next 3 days are going to be too hot in the garage so I moved the girls outside today.

Whorlly is front left, Stretch is front right, Typical is back left, and Runt is back right.

One thing interesting is “Stretch”. It grew tall quickly with almost no lateral branching. I “Fimm’d” it and now the lateral branching is filling out and it has a nice flat canopy of 6 colas. I “Fimm’d” Whorlly too, it has lots of flower sites but they look larfy.

Question, can I move the plants in and out of the tent without harm? My coastal climate can be so brutal, especially the wind, that if conditions allow I feel the tent is a much better environment. Can I bring them into the tent at night and put them back outside in the morning? Or put them outside till the heat passes then bring them back indoors. In 2-3 days the nightly low will drop into the 40s, thinking I should bring them back in for that. What is the lowest temp I should allow?

I am using a 450w LED that is easily adjustable up to 1800 PPFD.

4 Likes

Girls survived their 1st 24 hours outdoors. No signs of stress at all.

Keeping them easy to move as this weekend the lows will dip into the 40s, figure I will need to put them back in the tent for another few days.

Funny, the Runt (far right) still hasnt shown any Pistils yet, but the other 3 are showing plenty of bud. Whorlly (2nd from left) seems to be fattening up a bit finally. Stretch (far left) is shaping up real nice. Typical (2nd from right) is looking rather typical.

4 Likes

Weather changed again, brought 3 of the 4 girls inside as I feel I can provide better conditions in the tent.

Just for giggles, I did relocate “Whorlly” to a better sun spot outside and I am going resist the urge to bring it in. Curious if this might show me differences of outdoor vs indoor growth. One thing I noticed was a deeper shade of green in the leaves after moving them outside. LOL, also a lime green layer of pine pollen coating the leaves, wondering if the pollen layer inhibits photosynthesis.

I have a different take on the humidity battle, since I can’t win.

If I can’t get the night time humidity down below 60%, I turn on a space heater near the tent to push the VPD over 1.0 by raising the temp to around 80-82F. I let the temp drop a little prior to the lights turning on.

1 Like

So, for the last week I have left 1 girl (Stretch) outside but moved the other back in the tent. Main reason is trying observe differences between indoor/outdoor. Not sure I will draw any conclusions though as all 4 plants have a different habit (is this what they call phenos?) so differences could be the plant not the location.

5 Likes

Not a great photographer, but Worlly is starting to fatten a bit, makes me happy!

The one I call “Typical” is sprouting some nice flower sites.

The “Runt” is trying, trying, I think I can, I think I can…

The one outdoors “Stretch” is going to get some weather today, hope she does OK.

5 Likes

All 4 girls are sharing the tent for the last few days. Temps dropping into the low 40s at night.
All 4 seeds from the same pack, yet 4 very different girls.

The Whorlley one had another surprise. It seems the Fan leaves all had 5 fingers, but the sugar leaves all have 3 fingers. New one for me.

I think next week the garage will get too hot and I will have to move all 4 outside until the harvest.

It has been interesting moving them in and outdoors. Doesnt seem to affect them negatively at all. At least not anything prominent enough for me to notice, and I was looking hard. The only thing I noticed was the plants had a lot more hazards outside than in the tent.

2 Likes

Same pack, same environment, 4 very different girls…

4 Likes

Gave the girls a haircut.

Looks like the weather turned cooler, I may be able to finish these in the tent. They are on day 51 right now.

4 Likes

Anybody have any idea what this is telling me? Only on 1 plant, All 4 have been getting the same pHd water.

Could this be a calcium def?

1 Like

Greetings Mr. Wiz,
Sorry I missed the launch of this grow but I’ll happily sit in as it develops.

You’ve gotten some great advice already but I’d like to chime in on a couple of points.

I did exactly this with my first auto grow and the upshot was importing a nasty grow room infestation with three vicious armies of pests! Never Again, despite the temptation. Once they go outside leave em outside come hell and high water (as it inevitably will). Jus my $0.02.

On the pot size subject, my auto grow choice is 5 gallon Home Depot buckets that I aerated with dozens of half inch holes. Worked great and none of the root balls hit the sides or bottoms of the pot.

And, finally, no disrespect for outdoor growing but, given your attention to detail and DIY skills, I predict that your future is an environmentally controlled grow room. All those lovely parameters to dial in and monitor! Start savin your ducats for that A/C and dehumidifier!

Regards,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

This is an example of when ambient is too much for the tent.
Between 3pm and 6pm the VPD got up around 1.56
Tried to dump more humidity into the tent but my humidifier cant keep up with temps over 80f.

1 Like