30%+ THC Strains

Most cannabis testing labs only test for what they consider to be the top 10 cannabis terpenes… even though it has been proven that there are more than 40 different terpenes regularly found in cannabis.
This seems like it would be highly problematic in getting true results from a test.

Their testing equipment, (usually a Gas Chromatograph or a Mass Spectrometer), first, needs to be taught to recognize these terpenes, flavinoids and other compounds that are found in cannabis before it can identify these same compounds during testing.

These machines must be taught what terpenes, flavinoids and other compounds are by using a pure, labratory-grade, standard. Without these standards, the machine doesn’t know what it’s detecting because it has no knowledge of terpenes and flavinoids until it has been taught what that compound looks like.

If you send in a sample in that you believe is high in b-Caryophyllene, because it has a black pepper smell or taste to it, but the lab hasn’t taught its testing machine what the b-Caryophyllene compound signal is, then the testing machine won’t know it’s even present in the sample and will give a result with a different dominant terpene, instead.

4 Likes

last trip (3 wks ago) to the dispensary we got a moldy c99 preroll. so much for testing here

I think its just away to make it cost more,so that only big business can be in on it

and was actually pm

Hey Vern, you can take your know it all attitude somewhere else. You have no experience with testing - but somehow you’re acting like you know all about THC percentages. Yes, I work for a care provider in a med state. And yes, sounds like are talking about two different things. I’m asking people about what strains they have had test high. I don’t care about outlandish claims made by seed breeders.

No one said anything remotely close to this absurd statement. Way to go straw man. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Getting this thread back on track, I’m looking for strains that can test high in THC. In today’s legal market, THC is king. Having high testing strains on your shelf can make or break you. I don’t want to argue about the validity of tests, or what lab is fudging numbers. Just wanted to start a discussion about what strains might be promising to pheno hunt.

7 Likes

Arise by Irie tested highest in thca at some lab,its on Irie’s site was over 35.84 THCA. sorry outa love owe you one!

3 Likes

btw when it tested highest was a while ago might be higher now elsewhere

I do, however, know just enough to smell the bullshit when it comes to testing. I don’t sell pre-rolls homes testing is meaningless to me in the first place. If you know so much about testing and tested varieties, why you asking us what tests high? I thought you were “the head grower for the largest facility”, you should have an entire library of tested plants and results far beyond what any of us would possess. You tell us a list of what tests high. If you don’t care about what seed breeders are reporting, why ask about what seed lines test high? I don’t get it.

MED is Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division, BTW. I just assumed you were in Colorado for whatever reason.

1 Like

good topic even if there is money involved and so the liars come out. I mean who doesn’t want to know what the good stuff is and who has it? Less time wasted growin’ the bs some o’ the hawkers are sellin’ on Insta.

Recently found a breeder I had never seen before on seedfinder. so I check his wares and follow a few leads to Insta. So I go thru like four conversation across different media platforms following the chain for a strain called “Cereal Bar” Long story short he is running Gage Green prices and I never seen 'im come up before … you know I am without any alternatives and gotta have that $300 hype pffft

2 Likes

Yes, I am the head grower for the largest facility in the state. Makes me the biggest fish in a very little pond (no, I’m not in CO). We have no less than 50 moms at any given time. We’re looking into tissue culture, but that’s a little ways out. So again since you have Zero, Nada, Nilch experience with testing and have nothing to contribute to this thread, you can troll somewhere else. :v:

Back to our regularly scheduled program…

5 Likes

It’s not the strain, even thought genetics are of prime importance.

It comes down to the grower.

1 Like
3 Likes

15 with a bunch of terps shits on 25 all day In my opinion

11 Likes

At those percentages I would call it hash already :joy:

3 Likes

Not to further derail your thread but out of curiosity is there a certain criteria numbers wise that strains have to meet for your company to consider growing I only ask because I recently saw a 6-8% I don’t remember exactly what it was advertised at a dispensary in Illinois and that just seems like a drastically different product numbers wise of everything else they offered

4 Likes

Few years back when I still wasted money to test, I had banana kush test out at 31%

7 Likes

When I first saw reports of over 30%, I though they must be dusthing them with more keef before running the test lol

5 Likes

The other thing that this “pot is 14x stronger now than it was in the 60’s” cliche overlooks is the testing methods themselves.

In the 60’s and 70’s, academic studies tested cannabinoid content by volume of the whole plant. Stems, leaves, flowers, stalks, and all were chopped finely until the material was completely homogenized, and then they would test a sample of that.

Now, testing for the legal market is done by testing a sample of trimmed and cured bud. This gives a result of cannabinoid content by volume of a single flower sample, which has usually been chosen by the producer specifically to pass contaminant tests and to give a “flattering” result for thc content.

These testing methods are apples and oranges. There is no way testing a sample of trimmed flower would be comparable to testing a sample of homogenized flower, leaf, and stalk.

And this overlooks inflation of test results, which is definitely common.

edit- common in my state’s legalized market.
I have visited several licensed farms, and they are very clear about the fact that they send samples to multiple labs, use the most flattering test results for any given strain, and based on those results, are more likely to continue working with the lab that gave them the highest thc percentage.

17 Likes

Thanks for that info, that makes sense and explains it, I was leaning more towards fudged numbers to be competitive. like a lab that puts out higher numbers gets more business. But I didnt know they changed the testing method!

2 Likes