4 mephisto strains in 5 gal. Sips. Yalla, let's go!

Smokey Smokerson reporting for duty

8 Likes

I have to say, @_DB_0 youā€™ve got a GREAT setup going! Iā€™m getting ideas from it too :smiley:

@BudLarfy from my auto perspective and especially in your smaller pots, the one thing Iā€™d recommend different, you mentioned starting top dressing at 28 days, but you also said your issues showed around day 40. So I would top dress and any other intervention youā€™re planning much earlier than day 28. Figure your plants were running into problems at least a week before you noticed it. My hazy recollection is that it takes minimum 10 days but often longer before top dressing applications really kick in. So 40-7-10 is day 23, with even earlier possibly being a good idea. Iā€™m thinking when the plants have 3 sets of large leaves, which is when they start to really take off. Theyā€™ll start a heavy draw on the nutrients in the soil, and if you apply the top dressing it ought to phase into availability just as the soil stores start diminishing.

Getting an anaerobic smell is always bad news. If you did a significant dry back, youā€™ll have dead root material in there, and once it gets to rotting in an anaerobic environment, the only plants I can think of that will be happy instead of keeling over are blueberries. :wink: So like @_DB_0 I donā€™t purposely dry back, and in grow bags itā€™s not a big deal if it happens because they dry out so fast, but in plastic pots and especially SIPS it can be a recipe for root rot disaster.

5 Likes

Do you start feeding autos that early? I start with roots lush thatā€™s charged with npk. Thatā€™s why I figured I could get away with starting the first food with bloom nutes when they look like they are transitioning. I did most of my feeding as brewed tea last time so I figured it would be faster acting than typical slo release organic.
If you think so Iā€™ll try veg nutes while theyā€™re still smol.
Also I have to agree @_DB_0 is really doing the thing!

2 Likes

The tea should act quicker, itā€™s the top dress with solid organic fertilizers that is slow to become available.

I donā€™t know about exact feeding - I start mine in thoroughly fertilized soil, and find if I wait until flower to top dress with the organic solid / powders then itā€™s too late.

Iā€™m more of a ā€œdumper-onnerā€ than an exact measurer :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ll try starting earlier. Iā€™m leaning towards a lockout or something though. Only because feeding every week never made them happy again once they started to fade. straight downhill. Tried more food, tried your humic suggestion, (dumper-onner style)ā€¦

1 Like

Sorry Iā€™ve never grown an auto in a sip so i canā€™t really give any advice on that. I guess maybe itā€™d be similar,i start in solo cups or something similar, transplant after a couple weeks into 1.75 gallon pots for veg for 2-4 weeks(ish), when i transplant into the sip i go to 12/12 within a couple few days. Iā€™ve probably got about 7 ish gallons of soil in my modified grobucket. I use ocean forest soil and I add about a half a cup of fertilizer usually dr earth flower girl or similar. That way when the plants go in theyā€™ve got probably 3 weeks worth of food. After around 2 weeks i add some of the jobe spikes, push em down just a little ways above the bottom of the buckets, and top dress a 1/4 cup (ish) of fertilizer and usually some kelp product of some sort.I would guess that if you put an auto in around 3weeks old itā€™d be about the same. When the roots get down to the air gap/resevoir/moisture zone , whatever you wanna call it, thats when things explode. Timing that with the natural ā€œstretchā€ from flipping and its truly unreal growth.So they need alot of food to support all the fast growth. I never put any kind of food in the reservoir just plain phā€™d water. I think food of any kind in the reservoir fkd shit up. If i run into problems and need instant food (some strains it happens no matter what it seems, some just donā€™t like the constant moisture i think ) iā€™ll top water some maxibloom maybe a 1/3rd of a gallon , not too much so it doesnā€™t soak through down into the res. Less volume but more frequently. Usually a few days worth will clear up shit til the dry ferts become available.

I bet if you timed it right with the autos itā€™d do the same thing with the explosive growth.

2 Likes

Thanks a million! All good information. I really wanna find a way with these things. I like the concept of bottom watering. With autos I go seed right in the sip after the paper towel method.

3 Likes

Trim jail has its benefits

5 Likes

I forgot to scuff these seeds before their bath as Iā€™ve done in the past. This ripleys og didnā€™t germ with the rest so I cracked the seed hull with tweezers and next morning had a tap root!

5 Likes

6 Likes

Mango smile

10 Likes

Iā€™d definitely smoke those dank buds.

1 Like

Right?! This mango smile might be some of the nicest looking buds Iā€™ve grown yet

1 Like

Homegrown weed

8 Likes

3 hots and a cot in trim jail for inmate #420

9 Likes

Lookin goodā€¦well done and thanks for sharing your hard work

1 Like

Youā€™re just using a stiff bristle brush to knock off the dried leaves? That seems like a very good and practical solution.

2 Likes

Itā€™s called a canna brush but it only works if leaves are really dry. I still use scissors. The brush gets used to sweep the crumbs from the scissors blades and sweep leaves to one side of the trim bin

3 Likes

7 Likes

Are those hydrofarm ā€˜titaniumā€™ scissors? Cause i have some and iā€™ve found those are the absolute best scissors you can get. For me they donā€™t get sticky as fast as other brands, by alot. Lol.

2 Likes