50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

They should…

3 Likes

Greenhouse would be great but will not happen in 2023. I don’t want to do light deprivation, if I had a greenhouse I’d rather hang up a light in October so plants could better ripen to completion.

3 Likes

For a pure sativa check out Khalifa genetics Beldia. Started at the end of April it will finish in mid August for you Or anyone else for that matter, regardless of photo period. These plants are what is known as semi automatic. Basically over the last 800 years in Morocco the climate has continued to get drier and drier and only those plants that are able to finish their flowering cycle before the water runs out will survive and pass off their progeny. Because of this the plants have learned to begin flowering even as the days are growing longer , with the result being that they finish growing 16 weeks or so after they are planted. Super fun land race genetics to grow, but be prepared to pheno hunt for potency as These plants are full spectrum with CBD phenotypes included. A TH C dominant plant will have a very great head high

6 Likes

Landraces are also on my mind but not for this project. For 2023 I’m looking for something that will deliver stable results. In the long run it would be great if we northerners had our own photoperiodic landraces with a high genetic diversity that are adapted to specific micro climate and soil etc…

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, they ship free to EU countries and then paid to other European countries:

“In Scandinavia and the rest of Europe we send our shipments with regular postal letters or DAO (DAO only for shipments over 135 euros). We always try to deliver directly to your adress with DAO, but in some instances this is not always possible (fx. to many adresses in Sweden DAO will only send to parcel shops for delivery). Both regular postal letters and DAO take between 3-6 weekdays to reach the destination (but do expect longer delivery of ordering around hollidays and vacation periods). OBS! WE SHIP OUTSIDE OF EU, BUT WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ´STEALTH SHIPMENT´ OPTION - WE WILL ONLY REPLACE SHIPMENTS CAUGHT IN CUSTOMS IF YOU CHOOSE ´STEALTH SHIPMENT´ - WE WILL NOT (!) REPLACE ANY NORMAL LETTER SHIPMENTS, NO MATTER THE SIZE! IF YOUR LETTER GETS CAUGHT, IT`S ON YOUR OWN DIME!”

2 Likes

You may also get some good suggestions from @Swe-can he is up in der North:

One breeder I forgot to mention because I forgot he ships international is @Baudelaire with his Fleur Du Mal seed company, which specializes in stabilized heirlooms and hybrids, I think you’d have luck up north with Cinderella 99 or a hybrid of it, and his is the best out there, super inbred and consistent:

3 Likes

ACE distributes Vermontman/Green Mountain Seeds in Europe so that’s definitely an option:

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/green-mountain-seeds.html

2 Likes

Maroc Inspiration - SEEDHEAVEN up to 60* north

Or just check www.seedheaven.net out, There’s a lot of good outdoor strains you can find in seed heaven.

I say the safest card is to go with autos and find a sunny spot with at least 8 hours direct sun, everything above that is just better, if you got more Scandinavian weather like we do these guys have a lot of good seeds for you

http://danestrains.dk/en/

4 Likes

Umm… yeah…so it would help if I put in the right month, wouldn’t it? :joy:
https://arachnoid.com/lutusp/sunrise/

I should have noticed, as the max we get is around 16.5 on the solstice on June 21/22nd.
My bad!

I have done indoor light simulations and have basically figured out that for me, the shortest a plant can start flowering and still have a chance is at 13.5 of light, but it better not take its time or be too sensitive to cold etc. C99 is right on this line (tad earlier), but doesn’t waste time, especially in the greenhouse.

For me at almost 50.5N this has translated to an outdoor onset of Aug 28th or so for the C99, which is cutting it very close.

There are indicas like herijuana that will start at 14.5 and like I previously mentioned Death Bubba, and others no doubt earlier, and I know herijuana started clearly flowering on August 17th for me two years ago. That was a fem from Sannie’s. I recently got the Woodhorse version from Chris like @Upstate and it will be interesting to see the similarities.
It is baseball bat potent and definitely requires a cure, but there’s no doubt that it has some good qualities.

I am messing around with crosses of C99xheri to see if I can find the best of both worlds.

This has turned into a good resource, so please start a thread when you get going.

Peace

5 Likes
3 Likes

Good thread from @jessethestoner who’s outdoors in Alberta:

3 Likes

And @TopicalWave is outdoor in the North as well:

3 Likes

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your first year may require some pheno-hunting. You never really know what a plant is going to do until you grow it. Of course, autos are highly recommended. Longer-flowering photos could be an option if you could keep them warm.
Good growing to you, however you make it happen.

4 Likes

at 50 degrees north, for something you can be assured will give a good harvest you need some semi autos and autos. I find this is because while your season may end mid october, the weather isnt that great past early september even in a good year. you want something done by august or early september, when the weather is still good and we get good sun intensity.

Light deps are a great outdoor method because the quality is reeally good, because its flowering in peak conditions. but its quite labour intensive

In my mental definition, semi autos are plants that can initiate flowering over minor changes in conditions and will not reveg once its flowering stage has begun. I find these are typically better yielding, though not necessarily stronger than some of the newer auto crosses out there. You can put them in a temporary light dep for a week and they will start flowering, or veg them inside and the change in conditions will cause it to flower.
In Canada’s outdoor scene there are a few different strains that you could keep a mom of, and just take clones that would go into flowering outside. so theres a bit of options there.

autos can be great now, big yielding and decent smoke in the right families. I think that you should consider getting a few packs of a good auto strain, do a seed run and just grow the offspring from seed. it would be the simplest process and a full tent can give you seeds for years if you’re doing limited number runs.

6 Likes

It is not only about temperature, although it also plays a small role (at night temperatures about 5 degrees, and daily lower 15 plant almost does not develop), it is said that the sun does not rise high enough and does not have the necessary intensity for proper development and maturation of the plant. Therefore, it is very important at our latitude is the period when the plant blooms and for what period the peak of flowering and the intensity of light.
Along with the above, I would like to point out that the same weather conditions have a lot of influence on the date of starting the flowering of the plant, that is, I have Caramelo Fast Version Clones of one plant bloom in different years in different years, depending on the temperature. The colder a year, the later the flowering begins.

3 Likes

Do not discount landrace cultivars altogether. They are far superior to modern hybrids when handling cold, mold/botyritis and pests. You may find some of the Pakistani cultivars that meet all of your needs.

7 Likes

Kashmir would be a good place to start looking for genetics. Some places there have a climate similar to 50 N.

6 Likes

Some of the Canadian outdoor heirlooms Jesse mentioned:

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product/freezland-ibl-s1/

https://www.realgorillaseeds.com/product/guerilla-gold2-x-guerilla-gold2/

4 Likes

Thanks man, FDM sure looks interesting. A lot of folks seem to like the C99 up north.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links. Didn’t know there was much breeding going on in Scandinavia. Do you have a favorite Auto that gets done at your latitude?

3 Likes